Sign in to follow this  
emdru

Lens for Canon D20

The eTTL2 of Canon 20D is a drastic improvement over eTTL of earlier models and works extremely well............

Hi Newbie,

Perhaps you don't understand the reasons for changing the card between dives. I'll try to explain my thinking and maybe you'll want to try this too:

1) Shooting Raw+Jpeg w/ a high megapixel camera, you can fill a big card on a single dive

2) View and download your photos in between dives.

3) Just switch out the cards. It's better to have at least 2 cards and pull one after a dive, and put in a fresh one. Then you can dl/backup the previous dive and get a fresh card in there.

Maybe it's a throwback to the film days, but I just don't like to make a dive - where ANYTHING can happen - with a card that is 2/3 full.

I think your perspective will change when you do a liveaboard trip with 4 or even 5 dives a day. Or worse (knock on wood) when you flood a camera and lose 4 dives worth of photos, especially that whale shark you saw in the morning...

Cheers

James

Obviously, two schools of thought on changing cards between dives. Personally, I like to use a high-capacity memory card and shoot with it all day. Once the housing is sealed, and proven secure, I'd prefer to keep it that way as long as possible. At the end of the day, when I have plenty of time, I swap out cards and batteries and carefully re-seal the housing for the next day. I feel like every time I open the housing and re-close it, I've created a new opportunity for error ... and a flood. So I prefer to minimize the opportunity for error. Of course, swapping lenses and ports from time to time during the day also injects a new opportunity, but it's just one seal. Today, it's easily possible to shoot through a day of 4-5 dives on a single memory card and camera/strobe batteries.

Dove with the Canon 10-22mm today in Aquatica 20D housing with dual Ike 125 strobes, marginal

conditions, but a heck of a lot warmer than those snow scenes on this thread!

Jury is still out, first time I've used this lens. I'm not convinced that on the 20D it's as wide in

coverage as the Nikor 16mm. on film. Intend to try them both side by side.

Tom Stack

http://www.tomstackphoto.com

post-2110-1110157374_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Maybe we need to know actual focal lengths to the nearest 0.1 mm? The marked FL’s are generally a rounded value. 1 mm makes a bigger difference now with such short FL's in use for the newer smaller formats.

Tom

Tom,

Good point, but my thinking is that it has to do with the sensor. I'm sure that someone

more knowledgeable on this subject will shortly fill us in!

The Nikor 10.5 sure looks a heck of a lot wider on a D-70!

Tom

Tom.

Read the Topic title "Fisheye for Canon" on page 2 of this forum.

As I thought, it is Canon's "cropped sensor" that apparently makes the difference.

Just as we're switching from Nikon back to Canon after 15 years of shooting!

No wonder our UW Photo Workshop participant Don Kincaid's work with the Nikor 10.5mm.

was so impressive and we cannot match it with Canon lenses!

Tom

Yup, if you want the full 180 degrees you will need a lens specifically designed for camera's sensing area. Therefore Canon needs to develop FE's for for both the 1.3 AND for the 1.6 crop factor cams if they want to keep everyone happy! Probably ain't going to happen. I understand the 15mm Canon FE works rather well with the FF sensor unlike their prime or zoom rectilinear WA lenses.

Or worse (knock on wood) when you flood a camera and lose 4 dives worth of photos, especially that whale shark you saw in the morning...

Cheers

James

I would think that while the camera would be toast, the CF memory would survive the saltwater bath. I checked the Internet and found the CF memory module surviving washing machines and an incoming tide. No reports of what happened if the memory was in powered camera at the time of submersion. Maybe someone could perform a little experiment for us ... :blink:

Maybe someone could perform a little experiment for us ... :)

Hey, I have an old 16mb card that came with my point and shoot, but I never used it because it holds only about 15 photos. I will try to give it a quick bath! :blink:

I would think that while the camera would be toast, the CF memory would survive the saltwater bath.  I checked the Internet and found the CF memory module surviving washing machines and an incoming tide. No reports of what happened if the memory was in powered camera at the time of submersion.  Maybe someone could perform a little experiment for us ... :blink:

I had a CF card survive a flood. The camera was on with a sync attached. The camera is toast, of course.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements