Sign in to follow this  
cmm1970

Tamron 180mm Macro - Is it a good prime lens choice?

Good morning...I was searching around for topside reviews on the 150mm to learn more about this lens following the little taster posted by James W. In the process, I ran across some reviews that were highly complimentary of the Tamorn 180mm macro. Are any of you using it and do you feel like its sharpness is worthy and does its AutoFocus work well?

In addition, have any of you housed this lens with an Aquatica housing? If so, what extension ring are you using?

Thanks,

Mike

180mm is a very long lens to use underwater. I would recommend using a lens in the 90-150mm range as a first choice macro lens.

Alex

I own this lens and it is by far one of the sharpest pieces of glass that I have. It excellent for topside macro especially when used with a tripod. It is just to long of a lens to handhold topside much less underwater. :D

Tony

If you don't abuse caffeine, and steady yourself underwater, you might be able to keep this lens sharp since water will dampen your movements (free VR :D ).

It is important to remember that your camera is going to hold you to a 1/125th shutter speed, limiting the use of any long macro. (or at least limiting the sharpness)

No 180mm lens' autofocus works well. I have the Sigma 150, and wouldn't use it in AF either.

Why use this over the 70-180?

Ryan, which camera did you use with the 150?

TIA

Tom

I've used it on the d100, d2h, and d2x, and wouldn't use AF with any of them... It is an HSM lens (Sigma's USM, or AF-S), so in theory the drive motor shouldn't matter, but the sensor pattern obviously does.

Hi Ryan,

Too bad! Even with D2's!! The 70-200 with AFS is so quick, too bad we don't have this with a fast macro. I was hoping f/2.8 would do the trick. Maybe the problem is Sigma's implementation of AFS/USM???

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements