Sign in to follow this  
PRC

Caicos - ? - Any

A trip to Caicos has been suggested - any comments ? also what is the best time of the year ?

Depends on which island you want to dive. I am personnally more familiar with South Caicos, Grand Turk and Salt Cay. I have never dove Provo (nor would I unless it was free, lol) Best time of year is summer. warm water, flat seas, and still considered low season.

Good sites for Grand Turk:

www.grandturkscuba.com

www.ospreybeachhotel.com

Regards,

Stu

www.stuartphotography.com

Did T&C 2 years ago. Dove from Aggressor... best captain in the business no question about it and extraordinary boat.

Provo= OK

West Caicos= excellent

French Cay: Extraordinary

Superb photo ops. Recommendation: Stick to West Caicos and French Cay.

Michel Gilbert

Thanks for the info.

I have taken 2 liveaboard trips to Turks & Caicos. The 1st was aboard the Sea Dancer in February. The weather was rainy at times and we had some rough sea conditions but the diving was fantastic. The humpbacks are there at that time and we saw several on the surface. 2 divers had a chance encounter with mother & calf along a wall. they said they thought a sub was coming up the wall. They had great photos. You could hear the whale song all the time even when you'd never see them. That was very cool. We saw tons of Eagle rays and a few sharks (mostly reef).

We enjoyed the trip so much that we went back last April after the Sea dancer was exchanged with the Turks & Caicos explorer (previously the Carribean explorer in Saba). We had dove with the Carribean explorer and it was fun to dive again with the same crew in a new location. This time the weather was much better but no humpbacks, fewer eagle rays and more sharks. Great diving! Definately one of my personal favorites.

Sandy

I went to Provo in April 2001 (Dive Provo Divebase) on Providenciales.

North Point and French Cay were excellent spots. Sharks, Barracudas and Eagle reays. Grace Bay diving is cool for lobsters. April was too late for the whales. The dive center is really recommended and as a matter of fact I'm going again next week :D

Also the surrounding restaurants are outstanding: Caicos Cafe, Cuba Bella and the COCO Bistro.

All of them just a few minutes walk from the comfort suites hotel. The dive base and a few smaller restaurants are just opposite the hotel. The hotel provides you with the basic comfort and if you require more there are plenty higher class hotels where you can leave lots of money.

Grace Bay beach is excellent for chill out naps and beach running.

Greetings,

Chris

post-1734-1109857892_thumb.jpgWe went to Provo the first part of June a couple of years ago. We had a great trip. We land based ans stayed at the Alexandria, we hooked up with Caicos Adventures and did diving every day on his Cat which was very nice - comfortable and big enough for 14 divers. Fifi knows his dive sites, we dove at west Caicos mostly. The diving was comparible to the walls at Little Cayman. There were not the sponges in red and yellow as much as L.C. but there were a few more pelagics like sharks and dolphins. Diving also started a bit deeper like around 45 to 50ft. range. We enjoyed the boat ride each day and the beach of T&C is phenominal. We do plan to go back at some point, but there are so many places to dive, who would want to get stuck in one spot? B)

About the diving in the Turks & Caicos...

I have been in Providenciales ( Provo ) for the last six years working as a diving instructor and photographer. The dive conditions are good all year around, during the winter months must of the dive operations in providenciales dive on the south of the island, West Caicos and some times French Cay and Noth West Point,I really love the diving in French Cay. The Noth side of Provo know it as Grace Bay is good diving during the summer months but it is normally rough seas and bad dive conditions during the winter . During the summer moths the water is warmer up to 82 degrees and the seas are more calm and normally better visivility.

I love the diving during the winter months because you can see more eagle rays and if you are lucky maybe a humpback whales, but the water are more cold,about 74 :D I know that is nothing when you are use to dive on 50 degrees water.

If you want to dive from Provo and do some serious uwphotography I will recomend use a liveabord like the Turks & Caicos Aggressor or the T&C Exporer, you can do up to 5 dives a day and you will be doing night dives on the South of the island and there are just amazing.

Another good thing about liveaboards here is that you won't have to spend two hours to go and come back from the dive sites .The value on the liveabords is great , T&C Islands are not cheap you will paid around 90$ and up fot two tank dives but I imagine that you can get some can of packages if you book diving for one week with the same dive shop. There are about nine dive operations in Providenciales I will fully recomend Provo Turtle Divers ,there have been in running in Provo for over 30 years ,they have two Newton dive boats a 42ft and a 38ft. If you are looking for a very small group of divers I will recomend Flamingo Divers but generally all the dive operator here are very professionals and Safe.

Grand Turk ...

Very diferent than Provo,the dive sites are only five minutes from shore with really beautiful walls and corals , great for macro photography but you won't see as many sharks and eagle rays like the south islands of Provo. What I really love about Grant Turk is that is very small comunity of people very quite and relax place there are not as many hotels and restaurants like Provo.

South Caicos....

It is not as popular like Provo or Grand Turk but the diving it is just amazing. A lot of big pelagics during the winter months and great walls ,the only bad thing is during this months the water conditions are normally very rough making sometimes impossible the diving. It is a very quite place with not many palces to stay and eat.

Salt Cay....

Great Diving and very healthy marine life. It is a very small island with about 70 people on it and if I am right only two dive operations. The dive sites are only five minutes boat ride. You can do whale waching during the months betteen February to April. There are not many hotels and restaurants but if you really want to be away from civilization that's the place to go.

I hope that should help you out to take a decision. :(

Regards

David

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements