Looking to add to my small arsenal....L&M housed D100, flat port with 60mm. macro and dome port with 10.5mm nikkor...need something that will work w/ext.rings or ? for something in the 17-55mm. range...if I have a chance at a larger pelagic, want to make sure I get more than the eyeball or half the ocean.... any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Aurabest,

John

Hi John,

When I am in Cayman I could live with just two lenses. The 10.5mm and the 105mm macro. I would add to that in order of necessity:

28-70mm (I have a nice f2.8 Sigma zoom)

60mm (macro - which I see you have)

12-24mm (that I don't have)

The 28-70mm is what I use for sharks, eagle rays etc. This sigma lens is good (make sure you get the 28-70mm f2.8-f2.8 - as there are lots of sigma 28-70mm which are cheap and nasty). Also make sure it will fit in your ports before buying it. It is a bulky lens. I use it in a 105mm port.

Alex

I agree with Alex .. being an islander (currently away from home but back in a week or so) myself It is very rare to use anything other than wide or macro .. just depends on how far you want to go either way.

I have never had a lense choice before now and I have opted to stay away from a middle length zoom for now (i have one just working on how to house it, anyone had the canon 28-70 EF 1:2:8 L usm (77mm diameter) in a sea and sea housing?)

The only time I can remember using the flat port on my 3040 (which is equivelent) was when I was starting out and when I was trying some dusk dive shots with Alex as I couldn't get close enough with the other lenses.

Anyway .. basically I agree with Alex .. if you are sticking to Cayman the 10.5 and the 105 will be great lots o people use the 60mm in cayman too but I always think that mostcayman macro shots require closer, but as you have the 60mm I would consider getting a port for the 10.5 and that lense next you already have a macro so get a WA, think of the eagle rays on the north wall in the summer time, the sharks chasing the eagle rays, the beautiful wall shots all over, the tarpon at turtle reef, the classic eden rock shot, stingray city moments, the oro verde, babylon in all it's glory !!!!!! can you tell i miss it yet ... almost home my loveable rock i'll be back by the end of next week i promise !!

(btw .. with my previous 3040 setup i never got wider than 24mm which did me fine for the most part, but after a short while of using it I wanted wider, samew with the macro, i think the macro port I had gave about 1:2 which is about 60mm - 70mm i think but I always wanted closer always, thats why for my new setup i got the 15mm fisheye and the 100mm macro straight away)

ps who do you dive with in cayman ... i'm wondering if we have ever bumped into each other ?

thanks guys for the posts....the 105 macro is on my list. Thanks Alex for the Sigma suggestion...I looked into a nikkor 17-55 and it's not in the budget yet. The South Carolina Lottery commission is taking it's time notifying me that I am the current trillionare.....I shoot a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 topside and suits me fine. I will check availability on island soon....will it fit with my current ports w/ ext. rings?

Light and Motion flat port: 60 mm macro

Sea and Sea Dome: 10.5 Nik.

Giles, I think we dove together with Soto's? I was here from '93, you look familiar....i used to and still work at a car dealership on island...I currently dive with RedBaron Divers or shore dive....after all, I can see the moorings at Big Tunnels, Orange Canyon, Bonnies Arch all from this chair I am typing from...Come on down, the waters' fine....hand coming out of cast next Friday!!!

Thanks again for the input....see you on the safety stop!

John

Wow .. thats a long time ago for me to look familiar, I worked at Soto's in 95 Thats when I first met Alex according to my photo album.

I'm looking forward to being back still haven't found anywhere to live but that will sort itself out one way or another. I used to live up your way but became a GT'er more recently, who knows where I will end up this time.

I was mate's with Delboy....lived at windjammer...old blue toyota pickup? I have some news about Sotos....Brad is still here...lives around the corner here.....bringing anything back in the grey matter?

you can always pitch a tent in one of the shelled-out condos at dolphin point....a set of campers just left...seriously!

john

The 18-70 D70 kit lens is inexpensive and lightweight. A number of great shots using this lens have been posted on this site. It seems rather versatile.

Tom

Sponsors

Advertisements