Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

Subal ND2 for D2X

MODIFIED:

I am very happy to say that I am now the proud owner a Nikon D2X and Subal ND2 housing. I am starting to feel like a digital underwater photographer again. And a bone-fide member of wetpixel.

I am impressed that Nikon delivered this camera when they said they would (initially they said January, then in early January they set a date and stuck to it). I am even more impressed that Subal got their housing out before the camera! And that the camera slots straight in. I must email them (although I don't have their email address - I guess it is on their website)!

The quality of Subal's controls is exceptional. It is even better than my F100 Subal and in a different league to the D100 and D70 housings I have used (which are by no means bad - just not as polished as the film Subal's were). I'll give more detail over time, but in a word: wow!

I am current charging the battery and then over the weekend I am going to write a first impressions review for UWP Magazine, which will be out early next week. That will be objective and critical. But for now let me emotional. I loved my Subal F100 combo. I enjoyed using my Subal D100. I am already totally gooey over this new system.

I'm planning to go to the Red Sea in the next couple of weeks. Once I have dived the camera I will do a full review for Wetpixel.

I don't intend to tackle the D2X vs 1DS Mk2 issue in any review. I don't have enough experience with the Canon to be able to address it.

Like all my other housings, I got this housing from Ocean Optics in London (http://www.oceanoptics.co.uk). They clearly have a pretty direct link to Subal Austria - to get this to me when they did. They told me that if anyone is interested in the D2X to give them an email or call.

I intend to get a GS viewfinder for my housing, but Subal are sold out at the moment. It can be retro fitted.

I got the camera from London Camera Exchange, here in Southampton (where I bought my D100 and F100). With both cameras and housings I much prefer to build a good relationship with good dealers - rather than internet shop for the lowest price. I guess those relationships apy long term and that's why I have both today!

More later. But right now I am off to play...

Alex

D2X%20subal_web.jpg

Hi Alex, do you still have your D100 and housing? How about a snap shot of the two cameras/housings for a size comparison?

Thanks for posting this! It's a great setup, and with the reviews and samples from the D2x it is something to consider, despite the price and size.

That is bad ass!

I don't have the D100. Sold in October. But I have the F100. They are very similar in all dimensions except height. I'll do a photo in a sec. My poor lickle Canon is out of batteries now!

Size in an important issue with this camera as a small camera/housing is better than a big camera/housing for underwater photography (all other things being equal).

Here are a couple more pix. First one with the camera in the housing. And the second one a picture taken through the viewfinder with the camera in the housing. No power yet!

Alex

in-housing.jpg

post-713-1109461130_thumb.jpg

How can I speed up this bloody charger!  

Alex

I assume the battery is the same as on may D2H, it takes several hours to charge it the first time. After that it's very quick. As a matter of fact the battery performance is outstanding. I've never been able to deplete mine in a single day of shooting.

I'm very interested in your results.....go on a trip....NOW.

Larry

So it is going to be dark and pub o'clock before then, Larry. Damn it. Lets hope it is sunny and I'm not too hungover/otherwise occupied in the morning...

Here are the pix you wanted to see Luiz.

The ND2 is a bit more slab fronted than the N10 (which makes it look igger from the front) because of the wide vertical grip at the bottom of the housing, but the N10 viewfinder/prism sticks up more. Its more fared in on the ND2.

Alex

post-713-1109461498_thumb.jpg

wow...

Have fun Alex!!!

I had the new housing in my hands at the BOOT show a month ago...

looked great but they were not 100% sure that everything will fit the D2X...

I better start saving up for a new toy now... ;-)

Cheers

Torben

Thanks a lot for the photos Alex! That viewfinder looks really excellent. This will certainly help me make my decision, especially considering that the ND2 housing weighs 2,700 g (for comparison, the Ikelite D70 housing weighs 3,250 g and Sea&Sea is a bit heavier).

I am happy to say that all fits, Torben.

That's a 17-35mm in the top image. The image taken through the camera was a 20mm simply because that fits behind the dome without an extention ring and my 10.5mm is currently holidaying in the Red Sea with a friend!

I don't own a 12-24mm. I do want one, at some point. I was kind of waiting to see if this camera would be DX or FF before buying one. And anyway now I am way too poor. Poor, but very happy.

All I need now is some warm water...

Alex

Wow Alex!! The whole setup looks amazing! Pleeeease go out and take lots of pics. that you can show to us. :D

I'm just laughing that you bolded your signature ..... you're such a boy

I just went and got my new passport today .. i wish I had some money to come with you to the red sea ... but cayman will come ;) wnjoy the pub ... by my clock you were there 2 hours ago. Oh and I love the optimism ... unless pre occupied .. you'll be out shooting ... what Alex means to say is he will be out shooting his camera in the morning even if he could be pre occupied :D

congratulations Alex. Nice to see you finally have both (camera & housing) in your hands. Enjoy your great looking new rig! :D I am sure you deserve it after the emotional waiting period. :wink:

How about skipping the pub and do some toy polishing instead?

Julian

How about skipping the pub and do some toy polishing instead?

I thought if any nation understood the british desire for Beer it was ze Germans .... talking of which ... 30 mins and I can take this Friday to the max !

oh yes, Germans do understand that (but less dark ale) :D

But first things first (new toy), eh?

Julian

Congratulations Alex! :wink: I'd be over the moon with that setup. Looking forward to any pictures, thoughts, or review.

Thanks everyone. I am so happy with my camera. It so much better than any digital that I have shot before (not saying its THE best - just way way way better than anything I have used).

Julian, its Midnight and this is the earliest I have rolled in on a Friday in years. My priorities are spot on.

Thanks Meister. I am also over the moon. So much so.

Giles - looking forward to some quality Cayman diving. Yeh. Turtle Farm is in for a shock!

Battery now charged. This AF is amazing. Pygmy - schmygmy!

Alex

Congratulations Alex! You may be the first person on the planet to take a D2X underwater. This is also a test of the new wetpixel interface!

Cheers from Alaska!

Tom

I have shot 700 pix today and am very impressed with the camera. I have to say that the quality is better than I was expecting from the images I had seen, thus far, on the web.

Alex

p.s. Also trying the new site.

Right then, where are the 800 ISO pics? :D

The camera certainly looks like it's a winner. How do you like the housing?

Here is a 100% crop from an ISO 800 image. I am some what hestitant to post this because I believe any camera's ISO 800 performance has no relevance for underwater shooting.

This is a picture taken at an indoor pool. I have chosen a crop with some of the girl's hair in (although matted together by the water) so you can see detail. Although there is noise in this image, it is not chromic - and the camera still produced a sharp (with shooting conditions considered) image with very pleasing colours.

I realise that this is not the greatest image - the better ones are in a batch processed gallery that I did for the girls last night (although for the gallery was using a PS Action I have for my Canon Ixus - which has a strong AUTO COLOUR which is why the colours are poor on this gallery - the girls are not photographers so they won't care!). http://www.amustard.com/WP/

Anyway, these images are straight from the camera. First is the whole image and second is a 100% crop. EXIF. Nikon D2X. 80-400mm at 80mm. Aperture priority. f5.6 @ 1/100th. SB80DX on DTTL. Saturation normal, sharpening normal (basically I left everything to default). Shot on JPG. Did nothing in Photoshop, except resize the first and crop at 100% for the second, then saved at JPG level 7 (I didn't use save for web - so the EXIF should still be there).

The image is not wonderfully sharp because it was taken at 1/100th of a sec on a moving subject covered in water. But it is fine.

Alex

post-713-1109494897_thumb.jpg

post-713-1109494914_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alex, I was really just kidding. But since you were shooting in lowish light with flash, did you shoot any pics without flash? That would be more interesting but I'll take that off-forum.

I am however interested in the housing too. How's the balance with the FE2 port and ULCS tray arms?

again alex, thanks for sharing. Im all over the d2x when its available, and then will have to decide on a housing. posts like this definately help !

Best,

Stu

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements