echeng

Wetpixel Feb 2005 Migration Feedback

Please use this thread for current migration issues. thank you!

Hey Nice! Very clean, and somewhat more logical navigation to galleries and contests, than before. Love the clean look and layout. Working fine with firefox, so far.

It took me awhile to find the link on the front page, to get to the galleries and POTW. Putting them down under "resources", threw me. Maybe move them up some..??

Anyway, good work, and get some sleep!

Don

What happened to "mark all forums read"?

I used this all the time. Can it be added back, please?

Also, I notice this system is showing a "new thread" marker, for a post I just made myself. The old system would automatically make the thread look read, until there was another following post...

:D

D

Mmmmm, Nice new shiney interface.

Well done on the new look and features.

One very slight niggle is the front page has the sponsors centre justified and everything else over on the left hand side. Which kinda looks odd.

Anyway it's just a cosmetic thing.

Nothing like a breathe of fresh air.

The mark all forums as read feature still exists, but only after you view new posts by clicking the "New Posts" button. (it's in the results page)

I'll find a way to add it to the main interface.

I like the new format too, but one thing I miss is the "last 5 posts" on the front page, that was the first thing I looked on the front page...

I like the new format too, but one thing I miss is the "last 5 posts" on the front page, that was the first thing I looked on the front page...

Me too :D

Karl

very nice layout. Well done. Thank you. :D

just a minor item regarding old posts including pictures:

images have been posted with before ... (lower case). New forum requires upper case? ( ..). Nothing wrong with that, just old posts have to be modified in order to display the pictures again. Oh, and stitched together in some cases due to the new 10 images limit :-)

Julian

I have posted twice, answers to the question about the sony V3, in the beginner forum:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7617

Each time, after I post, it shows me the new thread, with my post below the original one.

Each time, when I go back it is not there.

I have successfully made other posts, that seem to remain...

But now, I see one here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7611

I answered Matt Segals post, and it showed up, but now is gone.

They seem to be staying there now, that I have reposted for 2nd and 3rd times.

Don and Matt -- When the posts disappeared, were you using Fast Reply, or the normal Add Reply?

If you use the Fast Reply box, you have to click the "Add Reply" button BELOW the fast reply box. Otherwise, it will take you to the reply window and abort your fast reply!

I know this isn't very clear, and I was bitten by this problem a few times when I first started using fast reply.

I've added a note below the fast reply textarea, which hopefully will prevent people from making similar mistakes!

images have been posted with before ... (lower case). New forum requires upper case? ( ..).

Julian

Julian - this isn't the case. Lower-case img works just fine. It's a migration problem. As specified in the migration post on the front page, for some reason the old posts on the site have to be re-opened and saved in order for the BBCode to come through.

Perhaps there is a BBCode flag in the database per-entry that has to be reset. I should poke around in there some more...

Just a couple of comments, would it be more common sense for people if the fast reply had the ADD button on the right rather than left as with most submit buttons.

I too liked the old logo that someone else posted about in another thread i mightmention that there too .. it gave a nice divey underwater feel, but the new logo looks like some clever work went into it with the background img and all and i always like the old box graphic art stuff. It will all take some getting used to including the change of colours but change is always a great thing .. good job .. is it all based around invision board ?

Not that I used the last five posts things all that often (i prefer the posts since last visit) It was a nice feature to look at while i surfed through i could see who else was online replying, which is often missed by the view last posts while you are in the forums being active.

there seems to be sooooo much more here, i can't wait to see some of it in action .. but right now I am guessing after posting I am going to run along and fix my avatar .. maybe i should get a new avatar for the new site !!

edit:: ok i made a gif cause i couldn't settle on one avatar ... how gay am i. no offence to happy people or homosexuals, its more of a new meaning on gay that is used for just me. Anyway i did stop making avatars when i got to 6 ;)

av-638.gif

i'm not sure if i like the clutter on the left with the username eric ... does it need to have: the red bits seem unessential to me, maybe it's not that easy to edit though.

Group: Members

Member No.: 638

Camera Model & Brand: Canon D60

Camera Housing: Sea & Sea DX60

Strobe/Lighting Model & Brand: Sea & Sea YS 120 Duo

Accessories &: ULCS arms, Pelican Case, Stickers, my eye :D

it's nice info to have but thats why you can click through to the profiles .. its the only thing to my eye taking away from the clean look.I could be on my own there but to most people its obvious that the first is a camera model brand and the next is a housing if ya know what i mean.

and i just decided i am happy with my gif, i may have to find all my other avatars and change it ... and maybe just maybe it goes with my supermodel persona that alex is slowly creating .. can i be your mona lisa alex ?

Only thing I would like to see changed on the new layout, is LARGER FONT SIZE. I have a large monitor, and all other internet content comes up easy to see, but this font is about a #6... (I'm trying to put off glasses as long as possible!!)

Larry

Eric,

I have tried it both ways, and had them disappear either way.

I for sure hit "add reply", and saw the complete new thread, and then they disappeared, by this morning.

They are not disappearing now, so maybe just something to watch.

eeeh sorry to bring this one up

ok your migration notes i read. I have only ever logged into the forums as you said the other (pmachine) isn't really doing anything or linked in.

But heres the weird thing. If i keep the same window open and tab ... i amlogged in and fine.

If I open a new tab without linking from a wetpixel page where i am logged in (right click open new tab or window) I am not logged in anymore.

I can have an open session even in one tab or window .. and in another tab or window ... not logged in, unless i used the right click link to open in a new tab or window.

same happens if i close all my windows and go to wp.com ... not logged in anymore :D sorry eirc .. i hope I am the only person with this problem .. we can just blow up mypc ... i amhating it today ... grrr php ...

I have tried it both ways, and had them disappear either way.

I for sure hit "add reply", and saw the complete new thread, and then they disappeared, by this morning.

They are not disappearing now, so maybe just something to watch.

Oh, was this done last night? Because there was a window of about 10 minutes when I was working on the database and had to revert it back. I think it was around midnight, my time.

Some of the URLs in the migrated content were broken, and i had to run scripts to clean the data. It took 2 times to get it right. :D

But heres the weird thing. If i keep the same window open and tab ... i amlogged in and fine.

That sounds like a cache issue...? What browser are you using? Are other people having this problem?

Everyone should clear cookies and cache for Wetpixel, now that we're stable. I use FireFox, and I have not been logged out after logging in, yet.

Invisionboard is pretty solid with regard to logging in and out.

is it all based around invision board ?

No, the main area of the site is based on Expression Engine. A lot of custom code went into the unified login of both systems.

i'm not sure if i like the clutter on the left with the username eric ... does it need to have: the red bits seem unessential to me, maybe it's not that easy to edit though.

Group: Members

Member No.: 638

Camera Model & Brand: Canon D60

Camera Housing: Sea & Sea DX60

Strobe/Lighting Model & Brand: Sea & Sea YS 120 Duo

Accessories &: ULCS arms, Pelican Case, Stickers, my eye :D

It is very easy to edit, now that I understand the hundreds of templates involved (blech!). I removed the custom fields even before I saw your post here. AS for member number and joined: dates, some people like that because it shows... seniority. ;)

Anyway, it should be much more streamlined now. I've identified admins in the user title, instead of using member group, so we can do away with that line.

Only thing I would like to see changed on the new layout, is LARGER FONT SIZE.  I have a large monitor, and all other internet content comes up easy to see, but this font is about a #6... (I'm trying to put off glasses as long as possible!!)

Larry

Larry - I'll look into it. The font doesn't look particular small on my hi-density display, using Mozilla and IE on Windows. What brower and platform are you on?

Is it just the content text that is too small, or is it the entire site?

And, what happens if you tell your browser to use larger fonts? :D

Hi Eric,

First of all, I want to thank you for all the work that has been done on the site. I worked on HTML some years ago, and I know how time consuming it is. Thanks!

Now, I want to report a problem that I am having. I am using a Mac the site works fine up to the forums, when I click on a thread it won't get in (using Internet Explorer). I can get into the forums with Safari, but the design looks different and weird here. Is it just me or is someone else having these issues?

It is very easy to edit, now that I understand the hundreds of templates involved (blech!).  I removed the custom fields even before I saw your post here.  AS for member number and joined: dates, some people like that because it shows... seniority. :D

great minds .. isn't that what they say .? but yours understand hundreds of templates .. mine doesn't.

I agree with the showing seniority, it helps to know as a new person who knows what they are talking about most .. i wonder if that could be turned into a sliding scale or this post = bs --> einstein !!! that would be funny oh dear my staying mind.

nope i like it now .. I will clean my cache again .. I am on firefox too 1.0 with my lovely Noia skin .. and these lovely plugins .... hey did anyone tell you yet if you're not using firefox ... you're doing something wrong. I have been in love for too long now ;)

Oh I will report any log in problems in next post if it still does it. I am pretty sure it is me .. i just wanted to mention it as it happened but no one else has yet which is likely means it is just me.

edit:: log in working great for me now. I guess i must of logged in during the half way transition and got some cache that wasn't mixing well.

oh and last things I noticed just incase you find this helpfull if it is not annoying.

chat button is that needed if it is turned off, i clicked to see if you had bothered wanting it but nothing, i don't think we need it with the activity levels in th forums.

and second i do like the link to external blog feature.

love the rss is it possible to rss the forums postings too ? i dont think i have ever seen that but sounds like a neat idea, have i just never looked ??

oh and my signature .. i will leave it in for a while ... i chose the style setting [size1] to make it small like it is and it just prints [size1] ... that has to be something going wrong. not that its a big problem I will just take out the formatting.

Hi Eric,

First of all, I want to thank you for all the work that has been done on the site. I worked on HTML some years ago, and I know how time consuming it is. Thanks!

Now, I want to report a problem that I am having. I am using a Mac the site works fine up to the forums, when I click on a thread it won't get in (using Internet Explorer). I can get into the forums with Safari, but the design looks different and weird here. Is it just me or is someone else having these issues?

Thank you for the nice words. I've been working in Firefox and IE on Windows, and the majority of the site is coded up to be XHTML compliant. It gets much harder when you have forum space to worry about, though, and I'm pretty sure that the forums area could use some work.

IE in the Mac is notoriously horrible, and I would be surprised if Microsoft even supports or updates it anymore. Safari isn't standards-compliant, either, and it's unfortunate that so many Mac users use it.

Have you tried Firefox on the Mac? I know it's not my place to recommend a new browser, but if you want to keep up with where the web is going, I highly recommend the switch.

Get Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/

EWeek article: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1745091,00.asp

Why XHTML? http://www.alistapart.com/articles/betterliving/

(Here's where Ike starts in on me. He's still using Netscape 4 or something. :D

Mostly, I want to make sure Wetpixel works with today's browsers, and tomorrow's browsers. The idea is that you should be CSS for all style information, while the HTML specifies things like whether a group of objects should be a numbered list or an un-numbered list. More browsers and devices should be able to get to the data if a site is designed that way. Unfortunately, this makes older and poorly-designed browsers harder for us to support.

Send me screenshots via e-mail of what Wetpixel looks like with Safari. Or, I'll take a look at this after the Sea Rovers Clinic (Mar 8 or so), when I have more time.

But I'm definitely not going to even attempt to support IE on the Mac. That would be suicide for supporting proper browsers. And people using old Netscape browsers? Your time has finally come... ;)

Larry - I'll look into it. The font doesn't look particular small on my hi-density display, using Mozilla and IE on Windows. What brower and platform are you on?

Is it just the content text that is too small, or is it the entire site?

And, what happens if you tell your browser to use larger fonts? :D

I agree with Larry. Gif labels like these: p_quote.gif are a real eye test on my monitors. They don't scale with font changes.

Sponsors

Advertisements