echeng

Wetpixel Feb 2005 Migration Feedback

I agree with Larry. Gif labels like these: p_quote.gif are a real eye test on my monitors. They don't scale with font changes.

Ugh. Now *that* is a HUGE change. It's possible for me to do that, but not before mid-March. I chose those because they are so small & simple.

We don't need images, right? I may just convert them all to text, so we FireFox people can just use type-ahead find instead of using the mouse. :D

Thanks for the tip about Firefox Eric, I downloaded it, and I like it a lot. It displays all sites that I tried so far perfectly, and is faster than IE and Safari.

And -- TABBED BROWSING! Control click on links, and you'll never go back. :D

And -- TABBED BROWSING!  Control click on links, and you'll never go back. :D

Lots of cool extensions also: EXIF, one button translations, spellchecker, control the brower with mouse gestures...

I also like shortcuts for bookmarks. For example, I type "gd 123 foo st. 94607" to get google maps directions from my house to 123 foo st. in zip code 94607. And I type "gl japanese restaurant" to look for local japanese restaurants around me.

All these little shortcuts save soooo much time.

sorry eric ... i was logged out again

but firefox still rocks for all the above reasons and because it helps me log in faster in a safe with with its password protected passwords wow.

:D but doesn't help me stay logged in.

this is only a forum problem still .. it said i was logged in on the front page then when i clicked through to forum not even in an external window or tabi was logged out. ;) sorry clean cahce and everything this time

::>> and again ... i'll try clearing out firefox again maybe i did something.

login.jpg

::>> ok .. it must just be me ... it's ok i think i have a solution .. I will hold a flaming torch near my pc until it gives in and works properly. It's been screwing with me all of last 'sleepless' night while i fought with various versions of php coding that kept coming out of my head.

Eric,

The site looks great! Thanks for all the work.

I also miss the "5 last posts" module at the main page. Maybe it can make a comeback? :D

By the way when I check my user cp I get the following message: "Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc. PLEASE change your email address immediately."

But the CP still displays my actual email. If it was in use by another account, I don't know who else could be using it.

Is this just a bug, or am I not going to be able to get any emails from wetpixel anymore? Please let me know how to correct this.

Peace,

David

By the way when I check my user cp I get the following message: "Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc. PLEASE change your email address immediately."

I have the same problem, maybe some old lingering account I dont even know exists anymore?

Cor

I wonder if there are duplicate e-mail addresses in the database. The old version of the site wasn't so sensitive to such issues, because the forum software sucked.

Can those of you having the problem e-mail me your registered e-mail addresses? I'll take a look.

Eric, (see Post #21) I'm using XP Home, Explorer settings for font are on Largest, and yes character size on the whole site is pretty much the same size. I have a 19" LCD, but still squinting (which Smiley has the squinty eyes??)

Larry

Fonts: the main areas (non-forum) of Wetpixel use 12px Verdana, which I think is plenty big enough.

It certainly is much larger than the forum fonts, so I'm confused as to why the entire site's font size looks the same to you...?

Another note: IE doesn't honor larger font-size for fixed font settings. FireFox does. :D

I'll work on it, though.

i think my email address used to be giles at digitallywet dot com

i just literally before the change over updated it to photo at caymaniac dot com

I don't recall any other email addresses my user name has always been digitallywet.

Would the old sytem have duplicated users as there was the two profiles ? because i have never changed username and kept same email address.

for anyone having trouble out there logging in my fix seems to be using http://wetpixel.com instead of http://www.wetpixel.com

just to save any extra clicking for anyone else:)

Giles -- thanks for being so NAGGY! :D I figured out the problem -- it was a cookie domain issue between the two systems. both www. and wetpixel.com should keep you logged in now.

i'm not naggy ... i have this girl ... she's right here making me type it .... i swear

i personally blame my irritating gif avatar !!

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to bad all users with animated avatar images. :D

Oh No wait :) ... I am looking at your post now ... and it is dated 'yesterday' ... :(

... and then it says ... I am going to be 'bad'ded' today :D .. which yesterday was 'tomorrow' ... but wait ... today tomorrow is not today it's tomorrow ... omg ....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

(nb. image added for reference to day facts for future reference when said facts are not entirely true anymore or at least current. :(badded.jpg )

wait ... I know ... Flash will save us .......... aaa aaaaaah .... he's the saviour of the universe !!! ;)

And now on a serious point of nagging .... I have found the most majour floor with the new site, and I am pretty sure it is not a browser thing but someone tell me if I am wrong .. I am a firefox 1.0 user in xp sp2.

When I am surfing the ever surfable wetpixel forums until the new release when I clicked back .. not only did I return to the page I had been on ... but I also returned to the area I had been looking at. I long multi paged posts this was very usefull. :D

Now when I click the back button in my browser (or my easy gestures wheel, or my keyboard etc etc :) ) I do go back a page as suspected I should, but I return to the top of the page ... and most the time thats not where i want to me .. and I have to scroll down ... or pg down ... How does that change ? I mean it's one of those things that if anyone notices you will get over quickly whilst a pain .. convenience doesn't need to be 24/7 I am just curious what does that more than anything ;) .. I don't even know if anyone else will have noticed or even want it fixed or if it happens to anyone else for that matter ..... and i'm not nagging .... if i was nagging i'd be making phone calls <_< .. and you don't want me to be doing that as I either have or can get most of you all's phone numbers some how through other means of nagging !!!! If you want you can simply rename this thread the giles nag nag nag nag and bloody nag some more thread B)

And who picked the number 11 to be the maximum number of emoticons in a post .. do you realise how much i had to edit this post .. and finding emoticons is hard !!

I am a firefox 1.0 user in xp sp2.

When I am surfing the ever surfable wetpixel forums until the new release when I clicked back .. not only did I return to the page I had been on ... but I also returned to the area I had been looking at. I long multi paged posts this was very usefull. ;)

Now when I click the back button in my browser (or my easy gestures wheel, or my keyboard etc etc :D ) I do go back a page as suspected I should, but I return to the top of the page ... and most the time thats not where i want to me .. and I have to scroll down ... or pg down ... How does that change ?

It's Firefox that does that - not site dependent. I've lived with it for awhile...minor annoyance.

~Matt Segal

Hi Eric et al,

Every time I log in, I get a message demanding I change my email address....what's with that?

Cheers,

Marli

and I'm not in Vancouver anymore....I changed my profile, but seems I still live in the city....

Marli

Hi Eric et al,

Every time I log in, I get a message demanding I change my email address....what's with that?

Cheers,

Marli

Demanding, huh? I guess the board has attitude, or something. :D

I don't know what this problem is, but I know how to solve it. David (Ponsui) found that if you set your e-mail address to a second address, go through the e-mail change process, and then change it back, the message goes away.

It must be a problem with the forum migration code, whichI didn't write. The solution is easy, but I apologize for the inconvenience.

Demanding, huh?  I guess the board has attitude, or something. :(

Sure it's the board with the attitude now ... not me nagging hey ... i was going to try and get me a girlfriend this year .. apparently a relationship has started ;)

It must be a problem with the forum migration code, which I didn't write. 

Oh thats just like a relationship blame it on someone else when it goes wrong :D

Only thing I would like to see changed on the new layout, is LARGER FONT SIZE.  I have a large monitor, and all other internet content comes up easy to see, but this font is about a #6... (I'm trying to put off glasses as long as possible!!)

Larry

FWIW, l could use a larger font size also....my laptop requires 1920 x 1200....ouch!

Great for viewing photos, but a bitch to read small print :D

Karl

FWIW, l could use a larger font size also....my laptop requires 1920 x 1200....ouch!

Great for viewing photos, but a bitch to read small print  ;)

Karl

Karl -- that's just ridiculous. :) I bought a notebook that is 1400x1050 precisely because higher density monitors aren't properly supported by operating systems yet. Well, you can sort of do it, but everything looks strange.

Craig has a 9 megapixel display at his place, and you can't read anything on it. But you can fit an 8 megapixel image on it at 100% without scrolling. :)

Broken layouts for a few threads?

I get a really bad layout for this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4232

First of all, it is not wrapping text, so you have to scroll back and forth to read messages.

Second, as you go down, the messages move over further and further to the right!

Does it do it for you?

Don

Don, It does that for me too. Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements