echeng

Wetpixel Feb 2005 Migration Feedback

It's related to the problem of img tags not showing up until an edit. If I edit each one of the problem threads, the end quote tag works again.

I have to get to the bottom of this and fix them ALL at once!

Moderators, you can always edit and re-save problem posts, and the problem will go away...

I found the problem. The old forum inserted all sorts of nasty HTML into each entry when quote feature was used. When a user edits the post, it automatically gets "cleaned" by the system, and works again.

What I need to do is figure out where the cleaning happens, grab that code, and run it on all of the entries. yippee. It's going to take some time. Until then, please report broken posts here, and one of the moderators will get to it (by just editing and saving the first broken post of a thread, and then the next, etc.). Right, moderators? :blink:

For my own documentation, here's an example of what a post used to look like in the database:

<!--QuoteBegin-jamesw+Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jamesw @ Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What this means to you and I as underwater shooters is that a true wideangle strobe may not appear as powerful in the center of the spread as a more focused-beam macro strobe.  That's why I believe your flash meter results are not useful to make conclusions like "X strobe is more powerful that Y strobe." [/quote]<br> This is an important point, and well explained.<br><br>Robert Delfs

... and what it looks like after it is "cleaned:"

<!--QuoteBegin-jamesw+Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamesw @ Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What this means to you and I as underwater shooters is that a true wideangle strobe may not appear as powerful in the center of the spread as a more focused-beam macro strobe.  That's why I believe your flash meter results are not useful to make conclusions like "X strobe is more powerful that Y strobe." <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br />This is an important point, and well explained.<br /><br />Robert Delfs

Just trying to help out, by reporting these peculiarities. And glad to know it isn't firefox specific!

Don

FYI, from the Wetpixel Forums page....the link to Picture of the Week doesn't work

Karl

I also noticed that the POW link doesn't work, neither does the "Mark this forum as read" button.

POW link works now -- thanks for the note. Mark this forum works too, but you have to clear your wetpixel cookies in your browser -- there was a change early on in the migration (as noted here: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7668 _

I have found the ‘Today’s active topics’ link to be very useful, however, a bookmark of it (which gets titled ‘Search Results’) appears ephemeral. I get it to work for a while (have done a bookmark experiment more than once) but then get a complex error message. :D

Tom

Tom - the active topics links should be of the form:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?act=s...&lastdate=86400

You aren't trying to bookmark the resulting URL after you click the link, are you? Because that's not the right one. :D

Is there any pattern that you can see with regard to when the error messages show up?

Hi Eric,

Below is a cut and paste since I had not removed the bookmark from the bookmark sidebar in Netscape (Mac OSX latest version). I got the same error message when I did a similar bookmark save previously. It worked for a few times, then didn't. I even had it set up at one time with two, one new and one old and only the newer one worked (but only for a few hours - maybe it re-sets each day?).

I just opened the page and bookmarked the link in your post. It too is titled Search Results. It works right now. It is placed in 'My Sidebar.' It is now set up again with one that does not work and the one I just put which does.

If that is not the right one then what is?

I hope this info is of value

Tom

Wetpixel :: Forums

> Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.

Useful Links

* Forgotten Password Recovery

* Register a new account

* Our help documentation

* Contact the forums administrator

Go Back

Hi Eric,

The link was working until about the last hour for today me suggesting there might be a 24hour clock. It did keep track of all the postings until the link no longer worked just now. I now get the same error message as above.

Tom :D

What is the URL of your bookmark? It should be:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?act=search&CODE=getnew&active=1&lastdate=86400

Hi Eric,

Nope, it looks like this:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?act=S...&lastdate=86400

I cut and pasted you link into the link window and a few seconds after engaging it (as the page started loading, it switched to this:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?act=S...&lastdate=86400

The numbers in the middle are different from the one above it, also the url is much longer than what you sent.

More mysteries of the internet or maybe a netscape glitch?

Tom

PS I am now looking at the 'preview' which puts in ... in the central part of the url making it difficult to see that they are not identical.

Hi Eric,

I just tried a new trick:

I edited the bookmark (in my computer's bookmark list) using the url you provided. It works for now. I will let you know if it expires tomorrow! :D

Tom

You have to use the URL I specified, which is what URL that the active posts goes to. The switch is what the system directs you do to render the page, and has a specific search ID that expires in the system eventually -- there is no way your original URL would work for any extended period of time. :D

And to show full URLs, use the [ code ] url here, etc. [ / code ] BBCode tag.

Thank you Eric

Much of your message is Greek to me. The bottom line is one cannot save the active bookmark using the pull-down menu in the browser and use it for long. Hopefully the one I made by editing the one you gave me in place of the expired one will work. I find this way of scoping out current activity useful when participating in threads in different headings within the forums page. However one can miss good stuff on the front page if one does this exclusisvely.

Tom

:D

Tom - well, so have we fixed the problem, then?

The bottom line for me is that you can't expect to bookmark dynamic content, normally. If you mouse-over the active topics link or the new posts link, you'll see different links than the ones you bookmarked. Those are the links that you have to bookmark -- not the one you see in the URL field once you have done the search.

Hi Eric,

Roger on the fix.

I noticed the url at the bottom of the window when mousing over as your suggested. Did option click (MAC) and bingo saved a link called Today's active topics.

This old dog just learned a new trick!

Thank you

Tom :D

Sponsors

Advertisements