Newbie owner of a dSLR.... Canon 20D

I've seen some questions asked about the lens itself in the forum but is anyone acutally using it?

Wanting to know if I should stick with this one or go to a different all-around lens until I get a 100 macro & wide angle.

Thanks for your input.

CJ

I would skip the trouble and expense of finding the right port and zoom ring and get the 100mm macro and a wide angle.

Hmmm, I had the same question. I'm also about to get the Ike housing for the 20D, and they list the 5503.90 port for this 17-85 lens. (I already have the lens.) I presume it should fit "perfectly", yes? Herb, do you have any other feedback on this port or lens?

Thanks,

Larry

Hmmm,  I had the same question.  I'm also about to get the Ike housing for the 20D, and they list the 5503.90 port for this 17-85 lens. (I already have the lens.)  I presume it should fit "perfectly", yes?  Herb, do you have any other feedback on this port or lens?

Thanks,

Larry

I don't have direct experience with this lens, but for reasonable performance at the wide end you'll need a dome port, and that's lots of trouble and expense for a lens that you'll probably find that you will not use much once you have a 100mm macro and either a 15mm FE or the 10-22mm.

I will be shooting next week on Cayman Brac with my 20d, 17-85, Ikelite housing and dome port. So far I've only shot a pool test and it looks good for fish portraits down to about 4 1/2" wide (about 1:5) so it is definately not a replacement for the 100 mm macro. By the way it does "fit perfectly" with the port - no zoom ring is needed on the lens, it's a snug fit inside the port. I'll post some simages when I get back mid month.

Doug

Thanks for the comments.

Cant wait to see your pics Scubag, and I see you have upgraded from the CP5000 as I have.

Hope you'll post your good & bad experiences on the switch over.

CJ

I will be shooting next week on Cayman Brac with my 20d, 17-85, Ikelite housing and dome port. So far I've only shot a pool test and it looks good for fish portraits down to about 4 1/2" wide (about 1:5) so it is definately not a replacement for the 100 mm macro. By the way it does "fit perfectly" with the port - no zoom ring is needed on the lens, it's a snug fit inside the port. I'll post some simages when I get back mid month.

Doug

Doug I don't get it - you have a 10-22 and a 100mm macro. Why would you ever shoot the 17-85 in a housing - unless you were using it behind a flat port with zoom ability. What focal length are you shooting it at?

KC

A midrange zoom is nice for larger fish shots and diver faces. It's kind of like using a 50mm/60mm except with greater compositional flexibility instead of greater magnification capability. I'd be curious to know how well the zoom works behind a dome. I've used a similar lens on a Nikon system behind both domes and flat ports and my only complaint was that I wished for a little bit more magnifaction than it was capable of. Still good for frogfish and crocadilefish but too weak for nudi's. If you like the 50/60 you may not want to mess with this kind of lens.

The 10-22 is my primary lens u/w for 90% of my stuff, I am not a big macro shooter. But the 17-85 is a nice inbetween for fish portraits at the high end of the focal length range, offers image stabilization, and gives me some versatility at the wide end when turtles, rays or schooling fish come by that a 100mm macro couldn't handle. Like I said before, I'll post images and a report when I get back, today I need to get packed.

Doug

Sponsors

Advertisements