Sign in to follow this  
eric.delsol

Help with Installing URPRO filter

I have just bought the Olympus PT-016 for my Stylus 410 and have read that it is suggested to buy a URPRO filter to go with it. So far I have not even seen the housing because I just bought it on Ebay today. I am a beginner in U/W photography and have limited funds (which is why I didn't just buy a better camera). So anyways, I'm diving in the Caymans in 2 weeks and need to know if I in fact will need a filter and how to install it. Are there any other parts that I will need to install the filter? How do I take care of it? etc etc etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot

I wouldn't bother with a filter for that camera.

My wife shoots that camera, and it really isn't an ideal camera for underwater shooting, due to it's lack of any manual controls.

The best advice I can give you is to stick to really close macro shots, and if you are going to try and shoot wide, expect blurry blue photos.

My wife's favorite picture is a blurry completely blue siloette of a 6' nurse shark in Cozumel. For her, it's not about the coposition, colors, etc, etc... She just likes to remember that huge nurse shark and be able to share that moment with others.

:blink: Well, nothing like a big fat case of buyers remorse. blah! Thanks for the input. Hmm, now how do I cancel an ebay transaction without getting a bad rep?

Well is your wife shooting with or without a filter? I think I've already made up my mind to buy one. For one thing, I'm only going to be on dive trips 2 or 3 times a year and I don't have the nerve to spend a bid wad of money on something I use that seldom.

Maybe I could sell the camera and housing on ebay as a combo and make some cash to contribute to an upgrade at some point.

But right now I need something for my trip in 2 weeks. So I would still appreciate any info regarding installation and whatnot.

In a previous life I rented these out so here you go: You can order the filter from direct from UR-Pro at www.urprofilters.com You'll need a 46mm size and it threads directly on to the front of the Olympus housing, no adapters needed. When using the filter you lose 1 1/2 f-stops of usable light so the camera uses a slow shutter speed to correct the exposure. When using the filter hold the camera steady with 2 hands, squeeze the shutter release slowly, and photograph only non moving subjects. when closer than 3', turn on forced flash (always on) and remove the filter. Flash beyond 3' is not effective as the color is again lost and back scatter decomes very pronounced.

Doug

Thanks Doug,

obviously i'm new at this and to tell you the truth I don't know what f-stops are. I understand what you are saying though about losing light and the camera using a slower shutter speed to correct for it. Now for objects at 3', can I take off the filter while underwater and put it back on to use it again? or do I have to keep that layer between the housing and the filter dry to keep using it?

I do believe there is an exposure compensation feature on the camera. So if I tweak with it to speed the shutter up a bit will that help? Or will it just take away from the exposure needed to create a good picture? :blink: Well if I in fact am unable to get any decent pictures out of this, I suppose it will at least be a good learning experience. thanks again for your input.

Anyone got any ideas for my next camera? I don't want something too expensive but I don't want something too big either. I want to be able to take good closeups of moving objects because I often find myself following fish that don't like to sit still for a camera. I would also like to take good wide angle shots of moving objects that are 20 to 30 feet away. And if money was not such a big deal what might be the next best thing?

thanks again guys. B)

It;s easy to take the filter on and off underwater. When I was shooting this camera I would slip the filter in my wetsuit sleeve so it was close at hand. Exposure compensation makes the overall image lighter (+) or darker (-), but I don't reccommend this as a way to increase the shutter speed.

There are several great camera systems for sale in the classified section, including at least (2) Nikon CP-5000 packages (one of them is mine) which are great cameras with lots of exposure control and options for very little money. Check them out.

Doug

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements