james

Sigma 150mm Sample

Hi Folks,

Here is a sample photo using the 1DmkII, the Sigma 150mm, and the Canon 500D closeup lens (+2 Diopter), inside a flat port. This shot is ~1:1 and working distance is around 10" from the port tip:

KN0X8467.jpg

f16 @ 1/90th ISO100

Here is a 100% crop:

150mmcrop.jpg

The files right out of the 1DmkII are not know to be the sharpest, because of a strong AA filter, but I think despite that, the results show that this is a darned sharp lens.

Cheers

James

Hi Tom,

With bad viz, I like to shoot subjects at a pretty short working distance. With the diopter, I could have gotten much closer for this shot, but I was just experimenting. I think I like this lens better w/ the diopter than without, but it depends what you plan to shoot. For shy fish, I'd take it off.

The AF is usable with a focus light - about the same at the 105mm. It should be afterall, as it's an f2.8 lens and has HSM focusing (better than the 105).

Cheers

James

I am thinking of this lens for super vis conditions, semi- to mostly ambient light shooting so light would not be limiting (e. g., Molokini backwall, NOT here in Alaska!). Sounds like it could be OK. Since you were using the Canon CU lens, it would have to go on inside the housing. I can see using a diopter if you were using this lens on a dive and the situation arose where you would want to reduce WD, but it would have to be one an external one.

BTW, nice worm shot! FL with 10" WD helped avoid spooking them?

Yes, I do, but then my camera has a 1.25x crop. I'd take that into consideration.

Cheers

James

James, do you have a Canon 1.4x teleconverter? Will it work with this lens? I am seriously considering replacing my canon 100mm macro with this lens.

No, but it's on the list of things to buy.

Ask Craig, he'll know.

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements