shark8matt

which kit lens for canon 20D

I am planning on upgrading to a canon 20D and Ikelite housing. I plan on eventually getting the canon 10-22mm EFS lens but will be going with a kit lens to start. I am assuming its better to spend a little more money and get the 17-85mm EFS kit lens as opposed to the 18-55mm EFS lens. I realize that no matter which one i get it will be a different ike port fom the 10-22mm. Any opinions/comments/advice on going with the 17-85 over the 18-55? Anyone actually have both lenses for comparison? I am also interested in getting the new 60mm macro when it comes out (and another ike port) - but will have to settle for the kit lens for now. Any advice on whether to get the 60mm macro or 10-22mm lens first (though all in good time so as to not insult my checking account TOO much). Thanks...

regards...

- MP

The 18-55 is much smaller/lighter than the 18-85, and substantially less expensive. The 18-55 gives you the 35mm equivalent of a 28-88mm, whereas the 18-55 is equivalent of 28-135mm. One thing, though: the "kit"versions of the 18-55 which ships with the camera is NOT a USM focus motor. I'd skip it, and for just a few dollars more buy separately the 18-55mm USM version. Not the sharpest lens in the Canon armory, but at middle apertures the results are very good, especially considering the low price. For topside use, if you don't mind the weight, the 18-55 is a nice choice for everyday use, especially with the image stabilization. I love my 28-135 IS Canon lens, except for the size.

Pardon the typos in my response above. There is no Canon EF-S 18-85mm; meant to say 17-85mm. The 17-85 provides an approximate 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 28-135mm, and has image stabilization. The EF-S 18-55mm is roughly equivalent to 28-90mm in 35mm terms. Canon describes a separately-available EF-S 18-55mm lens as USM, though the kit lens I received with my 20D kit is definitely not USM. So I am assuming there must be two versions of this lens. If so, I would definitely opt for the separate USM 18-55mm if that's the choice. I have found my Canon 28-135mm USM IS lens great for topside, though it's not nearly as small and light as the 18-55mm.

After a little investigation - there is an 18-55 mm EFS USM available - however, the 17-85 EFS does have image stabilization. I am not concerned so much about price and weight/size. I am more attracted by the larger range and IS of the 17-85. Does IS make a big difference underwater?

regards-

- MP

After a little investigation - there is an 18-55 mm EFS USM available - however, the 17-85 EFS does have image stabilization.  I am not concerned so much about price and weight/size.  I am more attracted by the larger range and IS of the 17-85.  Does IS make a big difference underwater?

regards-

- MP

Well, it does add size and weight. :blink:

At such short focal lengths, what shutter speeds would IS benefit and do you plan to use those shutter speeds underwater? I think the biggest impact of IS in that case would be the increased battery drain.

A 17-40L would make a better choice.

Your 18-55 will be a paperweight once you get the 17-85 ISM unless the extra size is a problem- that is my experience topside- I have them both. I haven't been able to house it yet but I can't wait to. I am interested in the comments here.

I will be doing a lot of topside shooting as well and I think the 17-85 will really trump the 18-55 kit lens here. I am probably going to bite the bullet and get the 10-22 EFS right away when I get the camera and the 17-85. I will use the 10-22 for underwater and the 17-85 for topside. I have liked the shots I have seen from the 20D with 10-22 from the Ikelite setup and figure thats the lens to get a Port for. Later down the line I will think of macro (new 60 mm EFS looks good), which I will get another Port for, and a larger telephoto for topside work. Thanks for everyones comments.

Regards...

- MP

I have liked the shots I have seen from the 20D with 10-22 from the Ikelite setup

Where have you seen shots with this setup?

~Matt Segal

Sponsors

Advertisements