TuriLed

iTTL support form Mathias Heinrichs ?

I spoke to a guy called James Livers from Ikelite at the London Dive Show on sunday who said that Ikelite have done the technical work on I-TTL and it is just a matter of gearing up for production.

He estimated that housings would be shipping with I-TTL by late April.

More information in this thread for those who are interested. In summary, April release date is likely.

Will these be useable with other iTTL compliant cameras, for example, the D2H and D2X?

Tom, as far as I know Matthias hasn't indicated compatibility with D2 series yet.

Thanks Anthony, I gather then that it may not be true iTTL. The test would be that it would work with all four present iTTL cameras: D2H, D70, D2X, and D2Hs.

I wouldn't read that far into it yet, as the product is still being tested.

Thanks Ryan,

Sounds like there may be hope. My query was based on what was stated on the web page of the above link in the left-hand margin " iTTL-Converter A converter iTTL-SLRs."

My interest is for macro and CUs of moving fish especially where the strobe is doing almost all of the lighting using a D2 (an iTTL SLR) in an Al housing. A system based upon using an integrated flash as in the D70 would be unacceptable for my purposes. I should also have included the F6, which I believe is also iTTL.

Tom

Has anyone actually used one of these yet. I'd be interested in one for my D2x housing if they work PERFECTLY.

THe website says that they are available

Another iTTL option is on the horizon.

I have made several inquires to Subtronic for iTTL compatable flash for my Nikon D2X, here is their last reply.

Dear Marc,

“I checked your inquiry with our construction department. Unfortunately the i-TTL support for this kind of camera is not complete finished yet. But they work hardly on it and are conviced that they will finish it soon

The i-TTL will be available with following strobe types: Mini, Midi, Maxi, Nova.

As they are still under construction, technical sheets are not completely finished.

I send you some enclosures, to give you a little overview. ( the "prospekt" is only in german language, but please contact me If you have any question)

I regret, that we cannot deliver immediately, but would be glad to put you on our waiting list.

IÌm looking forward hearing from you soon.â€

best regards

XXXXXXXX, name intentionally omitted.

I’m on the list,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I believe they use the Heinrichs converter built into their strobes. At least that's what I've read here.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Your right, that’s where I got the original information from.

I inquired and Christian Weikamp wrote me that Subtronic would have available iTTL compatible flash for the D2x soon. I believe he is connected to Subtronic with his iTTL circuitry ?

My first response back from Subtronic was they needed to check first with Christian to see if their new flashes were compatible with D2x iTTL .

Marc

I've tested the Heinrich iTTL adapter with both the D70 and the D2X. The device was advertised as supporting the D70 and does indeed work. I tested with two strobes (YS120s) in iTTL mode and this worked. I however was most impressed with their manual mode support (put the camera into manual mode, flash setting to rear curtain and adjust the output using the flash compensation). This is ingenious and would be my prefered mode of working.

As for the D2X, it didn't work in either mode (not much of a surprise). If they ever made a version that did work with the D2X then I would certainly get one.

Jeremy Brookfield

It looks like the converter is a circuit board in the housing. How do you use flash exposure compensation - through the camera?

Yes, the circuit board fits in the housing and is connected between the camera hotshoe and the cables leading to the bulkhead connectors.

To use the D70 iTTL converter in manual mode

1) set the camera to Manual exposure mode

2) set the flash to rear curtain

3) then dial in a flash exposure compensation in camera (pre-supposes that your housing allows this). I can't remember the precise scale but a -3 compensation is equivalent to 1/64th power (or something like that - I'd have to read the book again) and so on. If the controls on the housing are convieniently placed then this beats having to adjust the knobs on the strobes themselves and allows for a finer control of output.

If the flash is set to front curtain then the device runs in iTTL mode.

Jeremy Brookfield

Can you still use rear curtain sync?

I haven't tested this but I assume not. If the camera is set for rear then the strobes work in manual mode and I think this will be triggered with the front curtain. What would be the advantage of rear curtain underwater? It's not something I ever dreamed of doing although I do use it topside.

Jeremy Brookfield

I have heard a rumour that Ikelite is planning to release a version of their DS-125 strobes with iTTL support, and also to provide upgrades to older DS-125s for about $125 per strobe. Does anyone know if this is true??

If so, that would mean yet more options are available.

Also, does anyone know of a reputable source for Subtronic strobes (e.g. the mini, maxi, nova) in the US??

Thanks..

Mandarinfish: An iTTL version of our DS-125 is a possibility, but not in the immediate future. Immediate efforts are to start shipping the iTTL D-70 housings during May.

Strobe firmware on a small media card that could be updated as new versions of Nikon strobe control are implemented would be pretty slick too....

Agreed! Media card could go in the DS125 between the battery pack and the strobe to be user changeable. Could switch back and forth between Nikon and Canon that way for folks like me...:-)

Cheers

James

Or just get the new Ikelite sync cord bulkhead to USB port conversion cable and you don’t have to ship in your strobe for being hardware upgraded with the card reader. When setting the DS-125 into PC connection mode (select ½ power 5 times within 0.5 seconds) the strobe will recognize the PC and windows detects new hardware connected and installs the Ikelite driver from CD accordingly. Just run the Ikelite Windows or Mac firmware upgrade tool (available for download on www.ikelite.com/ds125firmware). Linux version release is targeted for end of May.

Instead of USB-conversion cable the optional wireless lan or infrared modul requires hardware upgrade as well.

The new software tool update (1.2a) will include download of strobe shooting data (power settings, TTL or not, time/date, position from strobe’s built-in GPS) as well as new supported cameras (Canon’s new semiprof. 3D). Automatic sync and adding to picture’s EXIF data is available in conjunction with Nikon capture Pro, Breeze Browser and Canon Digital Photo Professional. Data can be synced with your Aladin dive computer log as well.

Just click the checkbox and allow the manufacture to analyze these data for marketing research (top ten locations this strobe was used – listed in digideep’s new database) and a service voucher for the next check will be stored electronically into the strobe’s electronics.

Ikelite informs that installing of any of the hacked firmware tools will affect warranty.

Julian

That Jolly (Julian) character understands what is required and needs to be done............

Sponsors

Advertisements