Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

Nikon D2X Review

Thanks for all the feedback on the review. I hope that it continues to be helpful, and that other members contribute reviews of different housing brands when they get them.

Alex

Oh, and since I have had a couple of emails asking for more 100% crops here is the grouper's eye.

16fish_face1.jpg

post-713-1110963495_thumb.jpg

Hi Alex

Thanks for all the really useful information.

I am struggling with sunburst shots in particular. My sunburst shots taken with a D70 do not come out well at all, and yours taken with the D2X are mind-blowing.

I have read through a couple of the old posts on the topic but am new enough at Digital SLRs not to have anything approaching a complete understanding.

My question is, will my sunburst pics get materially better with practice and experience or does the D70 simply not have the tonal range to effectively handle these shots?

Attached is a pic taken in Cape Town at a depth of 40m with visibility of +/- 10m and really bad surface conditions (3m swells). How do I get the sunburst to look more like yours....???!!!

post-2915-1110984643_thumb.jpg

How do I get the sunburst to look more like yours....???!!!

Buy a D2x!! Just kidding... You may want to take a look at this thread where Alex explains (and tests) sunburts with a D70. I think that you overexposed the background on your sunburst picture. You can try higher shutter speeds with the same aperture.

Alex,

Your choice of images really show off the capabilities of the hardware and your talent. Good job!

I was especially impressed with the URPro filter shots. I bet most viewers pass this over without realizing that this color is attained without stobes. Especially the anthias/soft coral reef scene. They don't have the punch of some of the rich saturated macros (especially the turtle), but the fact that they are available light is encouraging.

This is a technique that slide shooters never embraced - video yes, but film, no. Digital gives that immediate feedback to reinforce what is working, and whats not. You say you manual white balanced prior to the shot. Did you card it? Or just try to balance the composition to contain a mix of red and blue subjects. What was the single most cause of rejects? Brownish blues? Warm objects that were close?

What a way to lighten our load! No strobe color photography!

Lastly what about the D2X, made for easy white balance?

Keep up the good work.

Richard Todd

EPIC

Hi Richard,

I had my grey card with me - but didn't take it underwater as I do not have a convenient place to carry it on my wing (I lost my BC, with its greycard carrying cummerbund, in Hurricane Ivan). So I was just white balancing on the subject. Seemed to work pretty well. I would like to fine tune these WBs a bit in ACR, but at the moment that is not possible because I can't read my D2X RAW files!

I agree with your comments about filters on film.

I don't think that the D2X is any more suitable than any other camera for custom white balancing. I think many cameras do a very good job!

Alex

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements