Sign in to follow this  
EnsenadaDiver

Weird color shift in UW D70 Photos

I have a problem with some images from my last trip with the D70.

The pictures where taken in NEF format and converted to jpeg in Photoshop 7.0. They exhibit the same problem in the raw image in Nikon Capture.

They where taken with the 60mm and 105mm lens.

I been lurking on this forum for a while and have great respect for the knowledge of the members of this forum.

To get to the point. After doing some reading, I guess this is chromatic aberration. Is this normal due to the limits of the D70 sensor? or do I have to get my camera fixed?, does anyone have similar problems?

I'm asking this here because this are very common subjects underwater and its very noticeable on prints from 8x10 and Up.

post-1712-1111004370_thumb.jpg

100% crop

post-1712-1111004436_thumb.jpg

post-1712-1111004476_thumb.jpg

100% crop

post-1712-1111004573_thumb.jpg

Thank You

Antonio Frias

Antonio,

What features are you concerned about? I do see what look like some color fringes, but frankly I don't think it's likely to be chromatic aberration (too severe, too near the center of the image). If you are stopped way down (say, smaller than f22) it may be diffraction.

But I'm just guessing...what do others say?

I'd like to see exif as well. The DOF on the first one is so good that I'm guessing high f stop as well. Otherwise, maybe a camera repair issue?

Rand

Here is the exif information

1st one- Raw - 105mm - Manual mode - 1/200 F/11 - EV 0 - ISO 200 - WB auto - AFS - Tone Normal - Hue 0 - Saturation Normal - Sharpening Low - Noise Reduction OFF

2nd one- Raw - 60mm - Manual mode - 1/60 F/13 - EV 0 - ISO 200 - WB auto - AFS - Tone Normal - Hue 0 - Saturation Normal - Sharpening Low - Noise Reduction OFF

I try not to go beyond F/22 if I can help it. I have read several post regarding image degradation beyond F/22.

It also appears on several fish portraits, on the edge of the fins, I was wondering if this was normal or not.

Thank You for your help.

Antonio Frias

It looks like ghosting of the white areas to me. A photographic issue rather than a camera issue. Try holding the camera steady.

I presume it is the fireworm that is at 1/60th. And a bright white subject will ghost green/blue underwater at this shutter speed. Since you are lighting these images entirely with flash you should use the camera's max synch speed. !/500th. This will get rid the ghosting - even if you don't hold the camera still.

Alex

Antonio,

I really like your Coronado Islands photos! I grew up in San Diego and used to dive and fish down there a lot.

Cheers

James Wiseman

Thx for the advice Alex, I'm still not sure, I have photos taken at 1/500 and they look sharp, and the still exhibit the problem. I will keep shooting and see what happens.

James Thx for the nice comment. I really love the Coronado Islands, I go there very often. It's only a 40min boat dive from where I live. The conditions here have been very bad, I hope It gets better soon so I can have something to show.

Sincerely

Antonio Frias

The color in the fine repeating details (such as bristleworm spines) could be moire.

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements