ChrisJackson

Ikelite Housings - How deep?

I was wondering how deep people are taking their Ikelite housings?

I know Ike rates thier housings to 60m, and I was told that this is reasonably conservative, but I was wondering how deep they are actually being used? I do a lot of diving around the 60m to 80m range and while I haven't taken my camera much deeper than around 65m, I'm probably going to take it to 75m later in the year.

I'm currently using the Sea and Sea housing for the Coolpix 5000, but am about to change to the Ike housing for the Canon 20D, so any comments would be useful.

Cheers

Chris

www.inner-space.co.uk/photos

Hi Chris,

I would certainly call Ikelite and ask them. Use at your own risk.

Some issues you might encounter (these are in ADDITION to the fact the housing might leak):

The buttons have return springs tuned for a certain pressure. The buttons may press in and push all the buttons on the camera at the same time.

Keep an eye on your movable controls, when they are not in use, make sure they aren't pressing on any buttons.

Cheers

James

I've had my n90s housing down to 230 feet. Everything worked fine.

I've had my G2 housing down below 200 feet. Everthing still worked fine...

I don't see the data on ike's web site, for most of the housings...

Don

Most are rated for 200ft depth. I've personally taken mine to 120ft...

~Matt Segal

I've taken my Coolpix 5000 housing to 68.9 metres, I think thats about 210 feet.

The zoom button pressed in of its own accord, so I came up a metre to release it, took my shots of a Prop / rudder and got my ass back above 60m.

Also had two DS-125's with me and they were fine.

Aengus

Thanks

I did ask Ikelite, and they were (understandably) very non-committal. They basically said 'while it may work, they don't warrant it'. I think that's fair enough, although I would have preferred a bit more of an indication as to the likely chance of success...

I also spoke to someone (Gail?) at the UK Dive Show in October last year, and he said it was a conservative depth rating, and it wasn't the casing that would go, but the buttons that could/would end up being forced in under the pressure.

It's always useful to know how far down others have taken their units when your going past the manufacturers recommendations.

Cheers

Chris

Actual implosion may not occur until twice what we recommend, but I would just as soon use was limited to 200 feet. Housing model and controls will affect adaptability.

Hey Ike have you got any pics of imploded housings :-) ?

I did have photos done by a university years ago, but............ Believe it was the port that actually failed at about 500 feet on one of the early SLR Cases. Dacor tested one of my original big old C-Lites for me. Sam said it creaked and groaned a lot but made it to 800 feet before becoming a multitude of little pieces.

Hey Ike. I have one of your OLD housings that is marked 300 feet. I think it's an old Nikon F.

I've had my CP-5000 housing and DS-125's below 250' on many occasions with no problems what so ever. I'm a little more cautious with my 20d housing, its only seen 150' and probably won't go much deeper. I've never flooded a camera in 30 years u/w and don't want to start now.

How are you liking those lens and strobe choices for your 20D- I am about to top off my 20d and any suggestions would help- looks like you have the 10-22 wide and 100mm macro, double ds-125's- after owning these would you suggest them? it is exactly what I am planning right now.-Thank's.

I've been using the YS-90 and YS-120 for the past couple of years with the Coolpix 5000. I got a DS-125 earlier in the year and used it in my Norway trip a few weeks back and loved it. It went down to 60m without a problem, and inside wrecks it's excelent with the spotting lights. I was using it as a slave off the YS-90 with the Ike TTL slave sensor - worked great.

I'd certainly recommend the DS-125, and am intending to get another one when I upgrade to the 20D.

Cheers

Chris

Mever,

I love my DS-125's. Nice warm color, very even illumination, bright modeling lights, battery packs easily last all day (4 dives-300 images) before recharge. I used to have a pair of DS-50's I'd use just for macro, but after a while I got rid of them and stayed with the 125's full time. I couldn't reccommend them more highly.

Doug

Sponsors

Advertisements