Sign in to follow this  
cmdasia

DS125/Salve sensor/4040 settings

This weekend I took out my 4040 (Pt10) and DS125 with slave sensor for the first time - exposure of shots in lighting terms was fine but the pics were not very "sharp" - on looking at the EXIFs I noticed that the shutter speed on every shot was 1/30 sec.

I used both P mode and A mode - in A mode aperture was set to F9 - but all the shots used 1/30 sec (which I think accounted for the lack of sharpness).

Could any other users with the same equip' let me know what "regular" settings they prefer for the DS125/slave sensor/4040 combo??

Many Thanks:(

go to www.jaytreat.com for c4040 tips

I've never had much luck with P or A mode because of the problem you're having......camera picks a shutter speed that is usually too slow.......I usually shoot in manual mode and start with a shutter speed of 1/125

Thanks a lot for that - it really helped. have just spent a week in Puerta Gallera shooting in manual the whole trip - I was quite surprised how easy it was and how generally consistant the results were (95% of shots were macro so a little of adjustment was all that was needed at most - mainly between 1/8 power and 1/4 power at f9 and 1/650 sec).

I have completely given up on the Ikelite TTL selection on the strobe which has proven quite frustrating, especially for macro shots.

Do you have any of your shots from Puerta Gallera? I'm thinking of a 2 week trip next year and would be interested on how it was for photography (and the diving in general!).

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

During the next couple of weeks I am intent on putting a small report in the dive destinations section with some of the photgraphs.

To answer you query quickly - for macro life I was stunned! On every dive I saw things I had never seen before - it was so good I extended my stay there - the list was endless devil fish, frog fish, angler fish, leaf fish, spanish dancers, reticlated nudibranchs, dragonets, pipefish, murex, sea hare, flatworms nudis and slugs galore, mantis shrimp etc etc.

I normally dive in Thailand but on the basis of my trip it was "Thailand 3 Philippines 9" - I was at Puerta Gallera with Atlantis whom I cannot speak highly enough of, the resort, the management and the guides/instructors were not only extremely professional but very very freindly and accomodating also.

I will definitely go back.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements