scubag

First U/W Images with 20d

This was my first u/w outing with a new Canon 20d in an Ikelite housing. Shot 1000 images over 14 dives with no problems. I'll try to get a trip report up this weekend with more images. Stayed at the Divi Tiara Beach on Cayman Brac, it was a first rate operation with a nice 46' Newton dive boat. The Baracuda and Starfish were shot with the Canon 10-22 zoom, the goatfish was shot on a nightdive with the Canon 17-85 zoom. The housing was very comfortable in hand, well balanced and easy to set up and use. You can change the CF card w/o removing the camera from it's tray, but to change the battery you must remove the camera completly (battery lasted all day so not a problem). If you are shooting the 10-22 zoom you must first remove the port and lens in order to open the housing back. Also.. kudos to Ikelite on the ETTL2 conversion, exposures were dead on in a wide variety of lighting situations.

Doug

Goatfish

20d, 17-85 zoom, Manual Exposre 1/125 - F8

post-1522-1111200535_thumb.jpg

Starfish

20d, 10-22 zoom, Manual Exposure 1/60 - F11

post-1522-1111200511_thumb.jpg

Cuda

20d, 10-22 zoom, Manual Exposure 1/250 - F6.3

post-1522-1111200469_thumb.jpg

Beautiful shots! I can't wait to go to the Bahamas again, nor can I wait to get my hands on the housing for my 20D!!

Great shots! I like the barracuda a lot! Do you find it difficult to compose with the small 20D viewfinder?

Very nice shots....sea star and barracuda especially :D

Exposures look spot on :)

Karl

Good work. I'd use the dodge tool on the head of the first shot to get the color patterns more poppy. Also use shadow and highlights...and extend the tonal range.

Joe

Here is your shot with a little dodging and some shadow & highlight tweaking. Not a lot, just some subtle effects.

post-1513-1111245448_thumb.jpg

Luiz,

Although the Ikelite housing has the super-eye viewfinder, I am not able to see the entire frame through the viewfinder u/w. I tend to cut the top of my subjects off, especially when shooting verticals. I am able to compensate by reviewing the image on the lcd and then correcting on the next shot. I wear a prescription mask and that might add to the problem. Canon makes a viewfinder extender EP-EX15 which works great for me out of the water, but it is too thick and doesn't fit in the housing as is. I'm going to try grinding it down a bit to see if I can get it between the camera and the super-eye before my next trip.

Kelpfish,

Thanks for the redo, although that is a bit too contrasty and un-natural (over-saturated) for my tastes.

Doug

I was looking for the starfish in the mask reflection. I am so going to be a pain for my dive buddy next time we have a nice find in the open sand. Hmm, maybe a special mask with reflective tinting....

Dan,

Yeah I tried to get a reflection of the starfish, but we both have thick prescription bi-focal masks and I either could see her face or the silver reflection as in this photo. The camera dome was only about 4" from the starfish. I guess I'll have to try this one again next trip.

Does anyone else have a similar close focus, superwide angle shot with the subject reflected in the mask?

Doug

Dan, Great Shots! I am so excited my 20D and Ike housing and strobes are on the way :D before this set up what did you shot? Was there a big learning curve with your 20D setup. I should have my stuff in the coming week. I have until May to prepare for my first Ocean dive with it. Any advise to get ready.

Regards,

Michael D Shope

www.scubashots.net

Michael,

For me the learning curve is not so big. I had been shooting with housed F3 for 10 years before switching to a digital 3 years ago (a Nikon CP-5000). The newest thing for me is learning to process the CR2 (RAW) files properly, as I was shooting jpegs with the Nikon digital. I had the 20d for a month before this dive trip and shot as much as I could above water to get used to the control layout, then spend another 8 hours in the pool trying the new housing before the trip. In my previous life as a dive instructor if I took a shot, looked at the image and said "I could have done this better" I could be back in the water that same afternoon or next day and re-shoot. Now that I am semi-retired and living in the desert I have to wait for that next big trip. Thank goodness the Sea of Cortez is only 6 hours away.

Doug

Sponsors

Advertisements