Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

"WETPIXEL" Coffee Table Book???

Guys -- we've moved the discussion offline for now. More details when they are finalized, but we think this can work. :)

Not sure how often you'd want to print something like this. The downside I forsee is that many/most of the photographers on the forum (myself included) are young to the hobby/profession. This means that our skills are improving and interests are changing. I assure you that the images we submit will seem stale and sub-par a year after the book is published. I've had this experience with my own publishings.

Perhaps we should allow wetpixel to mature a bit, then do a book to celebrate its first decade.

But part of the fun might be in seeing the changes in quality, as a community?

Martin sent me book samples from Guangzhou, and they look amazing.

I think this idea sounds great and would be willing to help and participate. I am just an amateur like many of us here but the whole idea sounds real intriguing to say the least. Count me in...

Tony

I am just an amateur like many of us here but the whole idea sounds real intriguing to say the least.  Count me in...

Ditto that!

In ref to subject headings, my humble suggestion would be not to have any (?!) or text either. I was going through some of my coffee table books and realized that the text only really worked were there was a combining element (i.e. a book on a single location or single subject) and subject headings really require a balanced editorial approach (i.e. cannot have 1 photo in the "ice diving" category and 3000 in the "tropical macro" category).

I also realized that i did not actually read any of the text after my first read of a book. Text also creates a problem in that information on shots coming from so many contributors would be an editorial nightmare. I went back to Gutsy Tuasons and U's book on Anilao (my repeated favourite) and realized one of the thing I love so much about the book is that it is just photos (no text except the books intro) with each plate numbered so you reference the "exif" data which is inluded at the end of the book.

Having no text or subjects would let the photos stand on their own and make the whole thing much easier to handle.

First (after my long time away from Wetpixel (Lots of work, no diving)) I would like to tell that this is a great idea.

What I like for coffee table books is a few pages of text at the beginning with a short introduction and a few at the end with Name and Data (Photographer, Location, Equipment) for the single pictures by Page Number. Between this let the pictures stand for itself.

Any Plans on how to manage it -> Picture Selection , Layout (I could Help here), date...

How about selling it for a decent Price (25-30$) and give the revenue to some ocean protecting organization'?

Happy to be back (and back in the water in 2 days)

Simon

Hi All,

(Disclaimer: The following is my opinion only and I do not speak officially for Eric/Wetpixel)

Like all of you I have been really busy. Happy to see continued interest in this project. I believe we have settled on a printer. Basic format will be Landscape, 1 photo per page with really exceptional photos maybe taking two pages. Each page will have a thumbnail picture of the Contributor and basic stats; location, camera, settings. It is possible mfgs and Wetpixel sponsors will be given space. I want to emphasize my commitment to keeping this essentially a “not for profit†project. As I have mentioned before I am willing to work with the printer, handle the shipping and final distribution to members, contributors, buyers. We are leaning to using Adobe InDesign for the layout; if anyone could help out with a copy of this it would be appreciated.

(IMHO) The big time suck would be if we choose 6 categories and everyone submits 2-3 photos per category. I think we have to come up with some kind of rule where you (Contributor) are forced to choose maybe 1-2 categories and only get to submit 1 photo per category. (Depending on interest) I think we have to limit the book to one photo per contributor.

Possible scenario:

We get two Wetpixel members per category to volunteer to be initial editors. We set up a week where people can submit their photos to these volunteers email box for review. The volunteers are mainly looking to see photos meet “minimum standard†and no one is trying to get more than one photo per category. Volunteers make rough cut, put in order (so you don’t have 4 turtle shots in a row) and submit to Main Editor. This process continues 1-2 months until all categories have been covered. At this point all the work gets dumped on Main Editor/s.

To my mind we need help with the following:

1. Categories

3. Setting of a basic minimum standard photos would have to meet

4. A hard count of contributors

5. Some kind of legal waiver for use of photos

6. We need a work flow for picture submission

7. Specific Non-Profit that any profits could go to

Folks let’s try to start moving this past the generalities stage. If you would like to tackle one of these subjects (or any I'm sure I have not thought of), please try to work it all the way through. Try to give us a working component.

I know this could be a fantastic book we just need to stop talking and start doing….

(MEANING NOT DUMPING ALL ON WETPIXEL MGT)

I have been a long time reader but never posted before... someone had already taken my usual board name and I was never creative enough to come up with another one until now (and this one still isn't very creative). :)

I think this is a Fantastic idea! I for one would love to submit a couple of images and would gladly pay in advance for a copy of the book.

I don't know how much work it would take but you could set up a page on this site similar to a photo contest where each aspiring contributor could upload a low res copy of thier submittals and allow the general board membership to vote on each one. The 300 (or whatever number is decided upon) images with the best approval ratings get in. Hi res copies of the chosen images could then be submitted via CD or email to whoever is compling the book.

I don't think the legal disclaimer would be too difficult. Contributors give the publisher of this book full rights to use the artwork in any way associated with this book. The contributor still retains ownership of the photo and can continue to use it in other ways.

hello all,

i'm a new member. I'm also a print designer/art director/brand consultant.

I love the community you've got going here, everyone is so passionate about UW. The book sounds like a great idea!

I don't know where you guys are in this project, if you need any help or not, but I would love to add my experience/skillset to the project if you guys need it.

hope I can help in some way.

Ben

My suggestions are to think larger and try to produce a stunning underwater digital photography book for mass consumption using images from wetpixel contributors. To do this, you would want to take the best pictures with only secondary considerations to having as many photographers contribute as possible. The book would need to be focused and organized by chapters – either types of images (macro, wide angle, wrecks, etc) or subjects (invertebrates, fish, marine mammals) or even location (oceans of the world). We would also need to focus on the editing, graphics layout and distribution side of the equation as well. I would also suggest that you actually pay contributors as well as wetpixel something. Paying to see my own image in print, for me, is little different than paying someone to make a print (but I’m a part time stock photographer which may not be representative of the membership). I think this is a great idea but while we are brain storming I would suggest we at least consider taking it to the next level.

I know this is WAY MORE than originally suggested. I also know that there is A LOT of talent here. . .

I'm all for putting the weight and community of Wetpixel behind a book, or book series.

What I'm looking for is for someone to take charge of the project and include me in the approval loop for use of WP resources, including the community, name, PR, marketing, and limited budget. Originally, I thought that I would be able to do a lot more for the book, but I don't think that I will have time, given the amount of time that it takes to keep WP going.

I've been talking with Martin about all of this (NWDiver), and hopefully, something will get off the ground soon.

Hello All,

As Eric noted things are moving ahead on this project. One thing we could use help with is finding a Reef orientated Non-Profit organization to donate any potential "profits" to.

1. Would like 3 organizations to choose from.

2. Would like to see groups that have "hands on projects" like placing mooring buoys, building artificial reefs, etc...

3. Would like to know the % of donations that actually go to projects.

4. The finalist could be put up for a vote by WP members.

We are looking for someone going past Googling and posting links. If we are going to give money to an organization lets make sure the money is being used effectively. First one to volunteer gets the joy of doing this.

Thanks,

Martin

I would be interested in seeing the money going towards Reef Check. They do some fantastic work all over the world and are an non-profit org as requested. They are mainly involved in monitoring and rehabilitation of reefs, training volunteers and education. I have no affliation with them - I'm just impressed by their work.

a bit late as usual, but I would certainly want one of the books.

I might be able to help out a bit as well by printing some (pre-)proofs of the book.

Being employed by a printer manufacturer I can quite easily get my hands on some printers like Indigo's, Designjets and such.

As a charity I would like to support Hepca.

I've been coming to the Red Sea for quite a few years now and with the boom in diving tourism worldwide, the Red Sea is affected quite badly.

Hepca is doing a lot of good work in the region.

Oh, and yes, I'm slightly biassed, due to it's proximity the Red Sea my favorite holliday hangout... B)

Pieter

I may be able to help quite a bit.

how i can helpI am a high school student meaning right now I have a whole lot of work, but starting in January I may be able to put a substantial amount of work into this (if i get into college early decision...)

I also plan to take a year off before college to work at a dive shop or something of the sort, so starting in May or so I could take on one of the more time-consuming editorial rolls if no one else stepped up.

I am the photo-editor of my school newspaper and yearbook and so I have Adobe In-Design on my computer and have a good amount of experience with it.

categories: I am thinking for the categories the best way to do it would be by location (Western Atlantic, Eastern Atlantic, Western Pacific, Eastern Pacific, Polar Regions, Lakes) or something like that.

non-profit org'sAs for the non-profits... I second Reef Check. the only problem here is it deals only with reefs, leaving out some other marine environments.

Another possibility is Sea Shepherd, a slightly more radical group http://www.seashepherd.org. I think this is the best choice as it is on a pretty global scale.

thirdly, I attended the Island School http://www.islandschool.org in the Bahamas last fall. In addition to educating the 40 students who attend the semester abroad twice a year and turning them into complete "reef huggers" they have been working with the Bahamian government and various NGO's to promote conservation and introduce solutions to overharvesting such as aquaculture and marine protected areas.

to go a different route with the money... One Percent for the Planet http://www.onepercentfortheplanet.org is, and i quote from their website, "1% For The Planet is an alliance of businesses committed to leveraging their resources to create a healthier planet. Members recognize their responsibility to and dependence on a healthy environment and donate at least 1% of their annual net revenues to environmental organizations worldwide. The alliance aims to prove that taking environmental responsibility is good for business." We could work something out with them

Just my two cents... id love to atleast contribute a picture, I think this is a pretty great idea.

Ok this is an "Unofficial Leak".

After some input from more experienced members it looks like the 1st effort will be a "Wetpixel Calendar"! This will be a lot easier to manage and organize. Once we have a handle on this it may be possible to do a full book.

Please note: the above is just my worthless musings and I make no claim to it being officially endorsed by Eric, or anyone formally tied to the Wetpixel site.

Sounds GREAT Martin,

We could always do it in the style of Lonely Planet calenders which have one large image and a number of small thumbnail 2"x3" pics interspersed with the days...

A calendar is ok but too bad, the book sounded just awsome. I could see it on the Today show "Underwater pics from some of the best amature and profesional photographers around the world" After all if you don't know about Wetpixel how serious can you be?" I think this could be a big seller. I also think that each picture should be a story teller unless a macro shot was really, really artistic. I am a big fan of Wide angle and like pictures that anyone can understand and recognize and of course behavior that is instructional. I bet everyone thinks a few of there pics should be in there I am no exception. To be successful the pics should have impact to people who can't even swim. This would make it succesful and also help the editing process. I bet a publishing Co. could get behind this but there would be no real charity benefit although if it was to get really big, even a small % to charity might be more than what could have been expected. The fact that the book would have many phtographers of all ages and mostly amatures putting in high quallity stuff is a big selling point. A must have book for everyone living on the water. Maybe it could be written up as an outline or proposal to a publisher of these kind of books, make it classy no ads. Info about wetpixel of course being the catalyst for the project, where, when and who shot what. The book can contain a link to the site that may somehow correspond to the book where more info on us the photographers can be found and then the ads and al that stuff can roll. Hey from the site we could sell screen saver slide shows, mugs with your favorit picture and whatever for charity programs etc. Sky is the limit!

Also... with so many people contributing..

1)thats a lot of sales just to friends, family, word of mouth

2)everyone could include a link to where to buy it on their sites (for those who have sites).

3)wetpixel is pretty well connected through its members in the photography and diving worlds and i am sure also in other senses.

also I don't think that it would be impossible to hire an editor and part of the profits would go towards baying him/her.

I agree... it could be a great success and the sky is the limit , but i guess starting out small is a better idea.

Just to recap a little I was thinking as a pitch to a major publisher who has done these books. They already have the inroads, experience, staff etc. on doing this. An outline of the project, should be far less work and maybe far more succes but with that would come far less control

Questions?

How many members are on this site, and any idea on how many photographs most large coffe table books have?

As far as the calendar goes I would guess far less pictures and a tough editing job.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements