Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

"WETPIXEL" Coffee Table Book???

I think I can say there will be a Wetpixel book.

As stated before a book is a huge project if all proceeds are going to a non-profit and people are just volunteering their time to get it done. I know nothing about the publishing world and how royalties, etc, are handled. Some Wetpixel members have expressed concern if individuals were getting “paid†to put this together. I have no idea on how you would handle any “profits†if or when costs to put it together and ship it were met. Remember the idea was to keep costs to a minimum so as many people could participate as possible.

I believe a calendar will give us an opportunity to define the process and give us a better idea of what we are getting into with a book. Please remember we all have full time jobs and I know my wife is already wondering about my obsession with this hobby.

It's a good idea.

I do design work for a client who's an underwater photographer so if I can help with anything then let me know. I use a printer in the UK, and while not the cheapest way of doing things, they do have one of the only presses in the country and for that matter world which produce true photographic prints on a traditional 4 colour press. They do this by using a new halftoning method which removes all 'dots' from the picture so you can take a lupe to the finished product and it's truely photographic.

It also means you don't have so many gamut issues as you doing with traditional presses which is important for u/w jobs due to the narrow gamuts often used i.e. lots of hues of blue etc...

My client produces a calendar each year which you can buy from his site if you want to see the results. The calendar has been used by Heidelberg who designed the new printing presses to promote their method so you might have already seen it.

The link is: Ocean Realm Images Calendar

or http://www.oceanrealmimages.com/calendar/calendarintro.htm

I'm happy to help if anyone's got any queries though.

Good idea and like Alex Mustard said, there are a lot of good pictures out there and it would be good to get them to a wide audience. Does need a good editor though to pull all the pictures together.

For the calendar, I find a theme pulls things together well...

Good luck!

I do not want to scoop Eric but things are in the works.

I don't get too much time to browse and add posts, so when I saw this one I was very impressed. This is a wicked idea. I have to agree with Dru on his earlier comment that members should pay a bit more for this so that something can begiven to help the environment we are all diving in so much, it seems we all love it, so let's help preserve & conserve it!

I personally have supported Coral Reef Alliance. These guys put together great workshops which help local operators, it certainly helped kickstart a much needed mooring buoy project here in Bali. Plus I've met and worked with a few of their reps and have spent some quality time diving with one of the directors and find them all to be great people who are really out there to preserve & conserve. Another organisation I am looking into working with right now is ReefCheck. If anyone has more input on ReefCheck please mail me personally on this!

Well, I think this is a time issue. I believe Eric has a ton of great shots from the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide contest from last yr that he wanted to use. At this point I think he is really, really busy. I would be happy to sort them and get them in order if he could get them to me (are you out there Eric?). So that is where it stands to date.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements