Sign in to follow this  
mrmishkin

Liveaboard Recommendations for Similan Islands

Hi all

I'm heading to Thailand mid June and am looking for a nice diving excursion. I'm looking to do about 5 days in the Similian Islands and was wondering if anyone had a particular liveaboard they had a great experience on. If someone has another recomendation also leaving out of phuket, I'd be willing to consider it but we only plan on diving 5-7 days. Thanks.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I have been to Thailiand twice in the last two years and have fallen in love with diving there. It was with extreme horror that I watched the devastation inflicted upon Thailand by the Tsunami. I was considering going back again this year in May however due to a change in jobs my vacation time is more limited at this time. Just an FYI - reports I've gotten from local friends the dive industry has not recovered fully so there may not be as many options for liveaboards as usual.

That said, I would highly recommend the liveaboard I have taken the past two trips, Viking of the Orient. The Viking departs from Phuket. I have had indications that they may not be operating due to the downturn in visitors. My suggestion would be to contact them directly. Einar, the owner of the boat, travels with all excursions and does his best to create a very hospitable environment. The boat itself is beautiful and comfortable and the diving is absolutely breathtaking. I joke now that Thailand has ruined me and makes it exceedingly difficult to don my drysuit for diving locally in Monterey ;-)

Here's the link to the Viking and good luck. I would love to get your report upon your return.

http://www.siamdivers.com/dive/viking/

If you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

Regards,

Karen

<_<

sorry to spoil you trip, but you want be able to dive the similans in june, seanson in the andaman coast, thailand and burma runs from december to april sometimes to the middle of mai, the similan national park is closed since 2003 in the off season in order to give abreak to the reefs, decent daytrip diving can be done from phuket expect not such clear water, most bigger liveaboards leave phuket around mai and go to indonisia and come back for the sean in novemver, the only decent liveaboards in phuket in the offseason are hin daeng which is very nice and worth a trip a view guys do 3 day liveaboards and cruise around phi phi island nice for leopard sharks......

good luck..............

EcoQuest is right. This is the Andaman Sea's monsoon season. Some boats do operate during the monsoon based on the weeks weather forcast but 1) a lot of the best boats have moved to Indo for the season 2) boats that stay will pool customers so not always guaranteed to get the boat you booked 3) I dove the sims once in the monsoon and had a horrid experience, really rough but i know of others who did it OK. This option is open but the opertaors will only make the decssion to go a couple of days in advance.

The lower andaman (phi phi, HD, HM, Bida, etc) are open as its quite easy to head for shelter if the need arises. You can do this area as a L/board or on day trips.

John Williams (siamdivers) is a v.good recommendation, also Sunrise Divers offer good advice, booking and service.

The other side of the gulf (Koh Tao, Samui) is open during June but not great diving by any means IMHO (I live in Thailand and have not dove Tao for 4 years so that pretty much sums up my opinion).

Its a good time of year for a hol but if you are only going for diving then delay it.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements