holloways

Which strobe to buy for both TTL and Manual

I just bought a Nikon CP-5000 / Ikelite housing + .19mm lens (from the WETPIXEL CLASSIFIEDS FORUM) and I'm very excited about my first digital set up.

Now I need to find the appropriate strobe set up. I could really use the advice - as I'm totally confused. : :)

Here are my requirements (feel free to challenge these if they are off base:

1- I'd like to take advantage of the available TTL - BUT- I want to be able to adjust the power of the strobe. I think 4 strobe settings is enough. If it costs too much to go both ways - I'd probably opt for manual ( I think??)

2- The system will be used primarily for travel - so small/lightweight is very good. (can I get away with one strobe???)

3- I will only use the system on 1-2 trips/year (although I may do 30-40 dives per trip). Hard, therefore to justify BIG BUCKS on a strobe - but I want it to work!

3- The camera and housing is a starter kit for me. I'd like to be able to use the strobe(s) as my camera skill and pocketbook expands.

Please help -

I leave for a trip in 10 days and I have to go find the little beast. THanks so much!!!

I used this camera for a year and a half with very good results....I used dual DS-125's with a sync cord....TTL was possible, but I still shot manual most of the time

Karl

If weight is your main issue I would go with the Inon strobes as they are very small but still powerful.

Otherwise I would go with the Ikelite DS125 (still small compared to my SS200s) as you will have TTL and I also prefer the warmer color temp for macro. One strobe will be plenty for most shots but if "extreme" wide-angle is your thing you'd be better of with two. From what I can tell from your post one strobe is probably the way to begin.

I just bought a Nikon CP-5000 / Ikelite housing + .19mm lens (from the WETPIXEL CLASSIFIEDS FORUM) and I'm very excited about my first digital set up.

Now I need to find the appropriate strobe set up.  I could really use the advice - as I'm totally confused. : :)

Here are my requirements (feel free to challenge these if they are off base:

1- I'd like to take advantage of the available TTL - BUT- I want to be able to adjust the power of the strobe.  I think 4 strobe settings is enough.  If it costs too much to go both ways - I'd probably opt for manual ( I think??)

2- The system will be used primarily for travel - so small/lightweight is very good. (can I get away with one strobe???)

3-  I will only use the system on 1-2 trips/year (although I may do 30-40 dives per trip).  Hard, therefore to justify BIG BUCKS on a strobe - but I want it to work!

3- The camera and housing is a starter kit for me.  I'd like to be able to use the strobe(s) as my camera skill and pocketbook expands.

Please help -

I leave for a trip in 10 days and I have to go find the little beast.  THanks so much!!!

(using Ike housed C-5050)

I have been VERY pleased with both the Ike DS-125 AND DS-50 using slave controllers...

Norm

Size matters to me too - and for my Subal D10 and Nikon D100, I went with Inon Z220s - and I'm delighted with them.

Sponsors

Advertisements