Sign in to follow this  
Don in Colorado

It takes forever .....................

If I am logged on as a user of these forums, it takes forever to go from menu to menu.

If I am logged out, it goes much faster.

Hope this helps other users.

As far as I'm concerned the system is not useable when logged in.

And you are right, it's much better/all better when not logged in.

Just a quick note to point out that the performance issues have been solved. Unfortunately, the temporary slowness helped spawn another digital uw forum out there, which doesn't seem to be adding anything to the mix (other than diluting both user-bases).

Don't sweat the small stuff Eric. Wetpixel is still the best! This board has literally HUNDREDS of users - make that 515 to be exact - Holy Cow Batman!

It's the internet - so get used to people seeing a good idea and copying it. I run the site www.reefs.org - we've been copied about 10 times by new bulletin boards over the last 5 years - but we're still the best and going strong.

FWIW, the Wetpixel board FLIES now. The server response time is fastest I have seen.

Cheers

James

Temporary slowness? Eric, this issue was discussed for weeks if not months. I know that offers were made to you to solve the problem on several occasions, including immediately after the crashes that happened a couple of times this summer.

Our goal at DigitalDiver.net is not to be competitive. We never "poached" users from this board. I have to disagree with your comment that we are not adding anything. For one thing, one would have to wonder just how long it would have been before you updated the forum software on wetpixel, if we had not started DigitalDiver. It is also interesting that you have chosen to add image attachment now that we have been offering it for about three weeks.

The longest location name in the United States is a lake in Massachusetts. The name is Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. In the Pequot language it means, You fish on your side of the lake, We'll fish on our side of the lake, and no one fishes in the middle of the lake.

The only thing we have ever said about wetpixel was within the first few days of our existence, while explaining why we started the forum. Since then we have operated like the Pequots. I suggest we establish our treaty the same way. We are not going to fade away, just because you finally fixed your site. But, we also, contrary to your opinion, think there is plenty of room for two (or even more) forums. Those that feel more comfortable here, will probably spend more time here. Those that feel more comfortable at DigitalDiver will probably spend more time there. We'll leave those in the middle to make up their mind which way to swim, and there will always be the zealots (like myself) who will devour every shred of information available, no matter where it is.

If you don't make snippy little comments like the one above, you'll never hear from me again. If you do, I have no choice but to answer them.

Hi Jeff,

I don't think Eric was aware of the image attachment feature with this new forum software. I use a similar setup over at my other site www.reefs.org so I pointed the feature out to Eric.

It's pretty neat, isn't it?

Cheers

James

Jeff -

whoah there! relax. :blink:

Actually, I was not aware that digitaldiver had image attachments. I just hadn't turned them on over here until James mentioned that it might be a good idea. In fact, I had no idea that it was you guys who had the "other" forum, until recently. I was just relaying what I had heard others say while I was at DEMA last week.

Offers to "fix" the problem weren't related to the slowness of the forum. They were related to the site being taken down for excessive traffic by our hosting service.

I run this site as a service, in my spare time, and was gone for three months this summer (where I had no time to manage this site). Not a single person e-mailed me about site slowness during that time; otherwise, I would have fixed it immediately.

I never suggested that you "fade away," and am not sure why you would take the "fixing" of this forum that way. More information is good.

"If you don't make snippy little comments like the one above, you'll never hear from me again. "

sounds good to me (but unfortunate).

There were several posts on the forums saying how slow the site was. I don't know about wetpixel, but if you are an admin/moderator on photo.net, you normally get an e-mail alert for each post.

If you were gone for 3 months, I am sure that you could have found a volunteer to help out in your absence.

Jeff obviously thought that he could do a better job and we can see his frustration with wetpixel, that is why he reinvented the wheel.

I wish him all the best of luck and hope that he also has time to post to wetpixel.

right. I do take responsibility for not noticing. actually, both of us (David and I) are responsible.

anyway, it's in the past. there's no reason to dwell on it. onward! :blink:

Eric and Jeff,

i'd like to thank both of you (and Richard) for running these forums in your spare time.

I think i can manage to read and post in both of them B)

Sabine

Thanks, Sabine!

Richard did offer his services as a web host when wetpixel was having problems with our old hosting service. I am definitely grateful for his offer (I think it's what Jeff was referring to in his post, but it had nothing to do with fixing the forum response. it was just crappy software and my own oversight that made the old forums slow. :blink:

To Eric's defense. Not that he needs one.

I was diving with him this summer and know first hand how busy he was. He was not residing in his own house or, state for that point.

Yes, computers can connect from anywhere but, I truly understand that work comes first. Work is what allows me, and I am guessing many others, to do the diving and photography they so much love to do. It pays the bills. I wonder how many actually surf from their work.

I want to thank Eric for volunteering his time to start and run a site like this.

I have learned an immense amount as a result of the gratious members and creators of this site and hope they have learned a little from me in return. (And those members certainly include the creators of the other forum also) I am involved in volunteering my time for groups and sometimes they forget that the time is volunteered and, we make nothing and expect nothing in return. Other than the joy of helping others.

Thank you for your time and knowledge!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements