Jax44

Help choosing camera!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys

I'm Jackie and I' new to Wetpixel and to digital photography. I'm looking for some advice as to what camera to go for. Ideally it would be a semi-professional camera with video and as I'm a diver I definitely want one which comes with an underwater casing.

Do u have any recommendation pls cos I'm totally lost :D

See ya

Jackie xx

I would start by asking what you mean by "semi-professional" and what your expectations are for video output. That would help narrow it down a bit.

Mike

semi-professional camera with video

Also, are you wanting a still camera with video, or a dedicated video camera.

Perhaps you could give us a little more information on the type of shooting you hope to do with the camera and what the end use will be for your footage.

Thanks for your reply. Ye I guess I'm not being very clear here. Basically I'm after a camera that is a bit better than the basic consumer cameras. I want to take photography up as a serious hobby but then I obviously don't need something mega professional right now. Re the video function - nothing much, just sthing that can take short vido clips just for fun. Thanks again!

Jac

I would recommend something along the lines of a Sony V3, Fuji F810 or Canon Pro1 with either an OEM or Ikelite housing... All these cameras have decent movie functions and are a cut above the average in terms of still quality. There are plenty of threads discussing these particular cameras on wetpixel, have a bit of a search.

I guess a budget would be helpful too, if these cameras are too expensive.

Thanks Anthony. Well yes together with the housing they quite expensive but I think I would rather geta good camera first then the housing later. The Canon Pro 1 is my first choice. Thanks a million and will get back to you.

Jac

The Pro1, has some real issues, for underwater - namely the choppy and half broken "macro" mode.

The V3 has an autofocus nearly on a par with a D70.

You might want to search through a bit, and find out that there has been lots of previous discussions on these cams.

Hey Jac

I suggest checking out the Nikon Coolpix 5400 too. I have just moved on to a Nikon DSLR but started with a Coolpix 5000 in a Subal housing and got some cracking results. The 5400 is its successor. It's not too complicated to use but can produce high quality reaults - and you can add a strobe when you are ready.

Gotta say though, it doesn't take long, if you get into u/w photography, that you want a DSLR. Maybe worth checking out the second-hand market for your first purchase. You won't lose to much moneyt then when you move upmarket......

Good luck with it!

Well, not everybody ends up wanting to move to a DSLR system. It's true that you can get shots with a DSLR that would not be possible with a digicam. The reverse is probably also true, especially for critters in awkard positions.

I'm not sure that I would recommend anyone to start underwater photography with a DSLR unless they were already pretty comfortable with using a DSLR topside. The task loading might be too much. A digicam may be safer initially.

There are also issues around convenience, size & weight. But for me personally, the biggest single reason I don't have a DSLR for underwater use is that I prefer composing picture on the LCD rather than through the viewfinder, even for topside. I think I remain more aware of my surroundings this way, and that's important to me as I'm a diver first, and a photographer second, when I'm underwater.

In any case, depending how much diving you do, by the time you move from digicam to DSLR (assuming you do) the DSLRs will have moved on a little, so it's not clear that you would be wasting money by buying a cheaper digicam system first. Do make sure that your flash will be compatible with a future camera & housing upgrade.

Good luck with the new hobby! Whatever system you get, u/w photography can be very satisfying. (Until your friends start saying, "What, more nudis?!?")

-David

Sponsors

Advertisements