Sign in to follow this  
marriard

Dove with the Nikon D2X and the Subal housing

This setup is nothing short of sensational... The Subal housing is a work of art and extremely easy to use. The camera is something else and the blues on the wideangles are strong (and more importantly BLUE)

Oh, and I did get the viewfinder. Not 100% sure I like it - but not enough dives to make a real decision yet. I had a new mask that wasn't behaving on these dives as well as I would have liked so that had an effect on what was going on.

Images to follow at some stage when works stops getting in the way. Just had to tell someone

M

Good to hear Paul - I'm sure you'll get the most out of it.

Cheers

James

Congrats Paul.

I would be very interested in hearing about the viewfinder. Mine doesn't have one. But at some point I need to decide whether I want to get one or not.

Jotting them down on the back of an evelope, I reckon I know where 8 of the Subals ND2s have found their homes. And unless Rand has moved his viewfinder across from Ingrid - yours is the only one with the viewfinder - that I know about.

Actually looking at that list I am amazed that only 2 of them are in Europe. Subals are very popular on the Continent.

Alex

Any consensus on the viewfinder - yay or boo? I'm going to pick up my D2X in Singapore next week (I couldn't resist, though I have tried), and it's time to think about ordering a new housing from Mr. Stepanek.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

Any consensus on the viewfinder - yay or boo?  I'm going to pick up my D2X in Singapore next week  (I couldn't resist, though I have tried), and it's time to think about ordering a new housing from Mr. Stepanek.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

I had 7 dives so far with the Subal and I am not 100% comfortable with the GS Viewfinder yet. When it works, it is incredible. Nice big view and you can see all the digital display/info all at once. However the line of sight is quite limited. If the viewfinder is a bit off to one side, I could not see anything at all. However, I started to get the hang of it by the end and hopefully I will have more practice with it in a couple of weeks.

All in all, I think once you get use to it, you probably won't want to dive without one but it will not be love at first sight for sure.

(and yes, I did have the rubber eyecup piece thingy attached as instructed :) ).

With D70, I think it is definitely a great asset. With D2X, the impact may be a bit less because the viewfinder is quite a bit bigger than D70. However I never dove with D2X without the GS Viewfinder so I can't really tell if the improvement is huge or only slight improvement.

Is the viewfinder user-interchangeable?

No, it is not. this is one problem with GS Viewfinder, in comparison to Seacam. It came factory installed. I understand that some dealers are able to install the viewfinder on site but not all. The dealer in Thailand would have to send the housing back to Subal to install or uninstall GS Viewfinder. So initially when I ordered the housing, it was a bit of a gamble to get GS Viewfinder right away but I guess my impression when I played with the D70 housing was good enough that I decided to get one anyhow. Once the viewfinder is on, it is permanent, I can't take it off for transportation etc.

Marriard,

I note that you have an Inion ring flash - have you tried this with the D2X? If so how have you found the power output at 100ASA, is there sufficient control with 1/4 and 1/2 power or do you need additonal diffusers? Mine works well with the D100 but I have the LMI ROC which gives 12 stops control and I know that a lot of other users cannot use this with the D100/D70 as it over exposes. One of my considerations before I upgrade as I would hate to live without it.

Many thanks.

Mark Webster

www.photec.co.uk

D100 LMI Titan etc.

I note that you have an Inon ring flash - have you tried this with the D2X? If so how have you found the power output at 100ASA, is there sufficient control with 1/4 and 1/2 power or do you need additonal diffusers? Mine works well with the D100 but I have the LMI ROC which gives 12 stops control and I know that a lot of other users cannot use this with the D100/D70 as it over exposes. One of my considerations before I upgrade as I would hate to live without it.

I have tried it. With correct Apperture and shutter speed control, it is pretty easy to control the light output. I haven't had any issues with it, although I tend to dial in some exposure adjustments if I see any issues.

M

Paul, I'd love to see some ring flash pics if you're inclined to post them.

re: Magnified viewfinder.

My first dive trip with the Subal, the eyepiece had yet to be installed. My problem, and maybe it varies due to reg. design, was that my regulator was hitting the back of the housing, preventing me from getting my eye close enough to see the whole frame being shot. Many of my shots were not framed properly because of this.

After they eyepiece was installed, it was so much easier to frame because it extends several inches, allowing room for my reg. The extra magnification really helps with my macro as I'm usually inclined to shoot with MF. Helps to see those shrimp eyeballs snap into focus.

As for installing/removing the view finder, it's not that hard, there would be one tool needed specifically to screw in the retainer but it's available. Ryan installed mine and gave me the basic instructions for annual removal and lubrication of the O rings on the eyepiece.

Rand

Paul - I was thinking about buying a ring flash but the port diameter of my Seacam would force me to suspend it in front of my port by a strobe arm. Have you ever used it this way? Perhaps I can try it out when I see you in Nov.

Paul - I was thinking about buying a ring flash but the port diameter of my Seacam would force me to suspend it in front of my port by a strobe arm.  Have you ever used it this way?  Perhaps I can try it out when I see you in Nov.

That is how I use it - single arm suspended in front of the port.

Absolutely I will bring it with me in Nov.

Paul

Paul, I see you use dual SS200 with your ND2. This is my set up as well, and I will try it for the first time next week. I wanted to ask you if you had any problems with image writing related to the flashes. I mean, several people had to cut or disconnect somehow the ready light wire in order for the camera to function properly, even when using the three pin connection in the housing, but nobody reported this with Ikelite flashes. I did several test shots and had no problem, but the real test will be next week and I wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks,

Luiz

Paul, I see you use dual SS200 with your ND2. This is my set up as well, and I will try it for the first time next week. I wanted to ask you if you had any problems with image writing related to the flashes. I mean, several people had to cut or disconnect somehow the ready light wire in order for the camera to function properly, even when using the three pin connection in the housing, but nobody reported this with Ikelite flashes. I did several test shots and had no problem, but the real test will be next week and I wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks,

Luiz

Haven't had a chance to hook up the SS200's on to the D2x/Subal Housings. Lately I have been travelling with the Inon's mainly because are so much easier to pack and the airlines in SE Asia are real ^(*^(*& about weight limits.

Come to think about it, I don't think I have used my SS200's for 12 months. Maybe it is time to sell them.

Sorry,

Paul

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements