Sign in to follow this  
John Bantin

Trouble Downloading Threads

I have trouble getting a lot of threads (usually the ones I want to read) to download. The progress bar on my Mac just stalls. Any ideas. We have a lot of Macs here and it does the same on all of them.

Justin,

This is a problem seemingly more prevalent after the updated format. Myself and even Ike (yes, that Ike as in Ikelite, a sponsor!) has asked what's up (???) as he uses a Mac.

Eric and James keep telling Mac users to switch to Safari, or Mozilla, or whatever is the latest flavor.....I would think since Eric worked for Apple (not sure how long) and still has lots of friends there he could address this...Even his own site (www.echeng.com) loads with no problems using Internet Explorer...So why the problem ??????

Even my old iMac, running OS 8.6 at a whopping 266 Mhz loads MOST OTHER WEB SITES. I rarely hit conflicts except maybe on a super whizzy Flash animation site. Mac OS X is even less of a problem EXCEPT AT WETPIXEL, especially the forums and mutiple links to topics and replies....

My Apple stock went up enough to help pay for my daughter's college tuition this year. You'd think the programmers of the world would wake up to LINUX based systems like OS X and make sure web sites are accessible from any machine.

And I ain't EVER buying a stinkin' PC :D

Enough ranting :lol:

David Haas

Sorry John Bantin,

Thought I saw your name as Justin.....

David Haas

davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

Haha that's funny Dave. Wetpixel is fully compatible with the Mac and newer browsers.

We do not support Mac Netscape 4.x anymore though. If you have a Mac with Netscape 4.x you will need to upgrade to get Wetpixel to work properly (among about a million other sites).

The problem has nothing to do with the speed of your computer's processor, how much ram you have, whether you have a Mac or a PC, or whether you vote republican or democrat. It's all about using crappy old software - Netscape 4.x If you do, then you owe it to yourself to do a free and painless upgrade to something else - anything else.

John, you didn't say which browser you are using so I'm going to make a leap and guess this is the problem. Please let us know if that fixes or doesn't fix your problem.

Cheers

James

Hey James,

I'm running Internet Explorer 5.1.7 for Mac. not Netscape.....latest one available from Microsoft (Slogan: "Where in the world do you NOT want to go today?") Forum links still don't work as John Bantin states.....

Will have to check what IE revision my iBook OS X machine is using.....Doesn't matter, all other web sites I regularly visit don't have lockup problems Wetpixel forums have...Especially since the change...

Eric's own site and your www.reefpix.org doesn't lock up!!!

So what's the deal (????????)

Dave

Dave,

That's odd - as it's the exact opposite of what other users report - better performance since the change. No dropped cookies - no problems getting logged in and staying logged in.

You say that "forum links don't work." If that's the problem you are having, it would probably help us find a solution for you if you'd tell us which ones.

Cheers

James

James,

No set pattern....

Sometimes you can go to a category, dSLRS, General, etc. and then can't get a subject to load.

Sometimes you can access a discussion from the last post listed on the right side of the opening forum page. And sometimes, not...

As John states the progress bar goes 1/3 and sits there.....I've gone and made coffee and come back and nada' .....

Believe me I've tried every way to access some discussions coming in back doors, side doors, etc. Ususally I give up and go elsewhere, as in other than Wetpixel it's that frustrating....

Not sure where to tell you guys to look....

Dave

I have a number of Macs ar my disposal and use Explorer 5.2.2 and Firefox 1.0.2.

I had no trouble downloading this thread but then when I first tried to reply this Mac crashed!!! It's never done that before - ever!

I've tried this with five Macs and three browsers and the winner is: Mac GS OSX 10.3.9 Mozilla Firefox!

I take that back. One Mac with Firefox locked up again!

John Bantin

Technical Editor

Diver Magazine

www.divernet.com

UK

(As John states the progress bar goes 1/3 and sits there.....I've gone and made coffee and come back and nada' .....)

This has happened alot to me as well. I am on a Brand new Imac- system 10.3 fully suped up with all the bells and whisles. I'm usually in the latest explorer browser but will try safari. not a micro-s--- fan anyway. This freeze up is only on this site and only some threads. Usually the best ones. Its site specific for sure as it has not been a issue in the 6 weeks on this new mac anywhere else. Mark

PS not using netscape 4 or any other version

Thanks for the feedback guys - we appreciate it. I'm sure Eric will look into this when he gets back - I have no clue when it comes to this stuff.

Cheers

James

Guys -- please help me out here. Dave Haas insists that it is "the Mac" that is the problem, but I disagree. It is, rather, some specific, poor browsers on the Mac that are the problem.

1) Can a Mac person using Os X test the forums using the LATEST version of Safari and tell me whether the forums and content areas (e.g. reviews) work? Be sure to use the latest version -- safari becomes less bad with each release.

2) Can a Mac person using OS X test the forums and content areas using the latest version of Mozilla / Firefox?

3) IE 5.X will NEVER be supported on wetpixel for Mac users. The browser is one of the worst still circulating on the web today. It's old, etc. You don't see working photographers running around with 2 megapixel cameras in zip-lock bags, and you won't see me downgrading the site to support it. Sorry.

4) Mac OS 9 is not supported by Apple anymore, nor will it be supported by Wetpixel.

An additional note about IE for Mac.

IE 5.1 was released on December 12, 2001. The last update (5.1.7 -- incremental) was release on July 11, 2003.

Much has changed on the web since 2001. So has Wetpixel. Anyway, that's the last I'll speak about IE 5.1 on the Mac. Again, I apologize, but we have to move on as a (web) community.

Yes it was IE. Since swapping to Firefox and Safari (and repairing permissions on all Macs) I have been able to download everything that I have tried to download. Thank you.

I have noticed that PC users always say it must be the Mac but then the Mac is an industry standard for those working with pictures - so I guess that a lot of people who visit this site will be doing it via a Mac of some sort. Maybe you could put up the info on the home page ie Mac OSX and the acceptable browser.

Macs cost a lot more than PCs here in the UK but there has to be a reason there are five at the moment (including my son from the music industry's two) in my house.

(Sorry - that is six if I count the G3 my youngest kids use.)

Hi John,

Mac is an industry standard for those working with pictures

Haha - that's what they'd like you to believe. When the day comes that I don't have to buy twice as expensive a machine to develop RAW files at the same speed, or a really good image management program, or slideshow program (like Proshow Gold) is developed for the Mac, then I'll believe that.

Cheers

James

Well you obviously don't work in publishing or the film industry!

I'm not trying to start a Mac vs PC debate, I just wanted to respond to your dig.

One thing I've noticed in industry is that just because "everyone" uses something doesn't mean it's the best...;-)

James

I am sorry if you thought it was a dig. I would be a lot richer if my industry used PCs instead of Macs. It was merely an observation that possibly a higher proportion of wetpixel viewers might be using Macs than on other forums. A friend who has a photo-stock-library web-site is very enthusiastic about PCs but admits that most of his actual buyers use Macs.

(Let's be friends!)

1) Can a Mac person using Os X test the forums using the LATEST version of Safari and tell me whether the forums and content areas (e.g. reviews) work?  Be sure to use the latest version -- safari becomes less bad with each release.

2) Can a Mac person using OS X test the forums and content areas using the latest version of Mozilla / Firefox?

OS X 10.4 on a 1 GHz powerbook. Latest Safari, latest build of Firefox. Everything works, flawlessly.

3) IE 5.X will NEVER be supported on wetpixel for Mac users. The browser is one of the worst still circulating on the web today.  It's old, etc.  You don't see working photographers running around with 2 megapixel cameras in zip-lock bags, and you won't see me downgrading the site to support it.  Sorry.

No problems as far as I am concerned. Someone should have driven a stake through the heart of that monster when they had the chance. If they could have done the same to Word 6.0 for the Mac while they were at it, that would have been great.

4) Mac OS 9 is not supported by Apple anymore, nor will it be supported by Wetpixel.

Also no problem as far as I am concerned. I don't even have a Classic folder.

I'm wondering if the people who are having problems are having bandwidth/latency issues. It seems to be people who are far away (in the case of William and John Bantin). I have gargantuan inbound/outbound bandwidth. Perhaps they are timing out?

I have noticed that PC users always say it must be the Mac but then the Mac is an industry standard for those working with pictures - so I guess that a lot of people who visit this site will be doing it via a Mac of some sort. Maybe you could put up the info on the home page ie Mac OSX and the acceptable browser.

In this case, it was a Mac guy who said that it must be the Mac. (or really, that it was a combination of Wetpixel and a Mac). I clarified that it was IE on the Mac, and not "the Mac" alone...

One thing I've noticed in industry is that just because "everyone" uses something doesn't mean it's the best...;-)

I'm sorry James, I really must resist, but I have to ask if we can apply the same logic to Canon? Given your intimate knowledge of both :blink:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements