Sign in to follow this  
nekton

Amphibico vs. Gates for PDX10

In 1991, I purchased an Amphibico V101 housing. Very satisfied. After about one thousand dives, I finally flooded the camera on a deep dive off North Carolina, in 2000. For those 9 years, I never had any problem with the electronics, which some people say is Amphibico’s Achilles heel. Didn’t replace the camcorder as there was much better stuff available. Last year I bought a Gates PC330. On its third dive, I flooded the camera. Write off for that liveaboard trip. The Gates O-ring on that little housing is definitely not as forgiving as the one on my old Amphibico. It gets nudged out of place on the groove very easily and this is in fact exactly what happened. I expected it to be as care-free as my Amphibico and it wasn’t. The housing ended up being stolen in Cairo, anyway, so now that my insurance check came in, I would like to buy a PDX10 and housing.

I like the idea of the Gates, but if the O-ring is anything like that PC330 housing, I am wary.

Does anyone know enough on these housings to give me a run down on the difference, beyond the marketing ? The only advantage of the Gates--that I see--is that it has a good manual focus wheel. Is the O-ring setup like the one on the PC330/350?

There are those that allow you to see the seal...

Thanks for your response. I actually considered Ikelite, for about 30 seconds.

The fact that those housings are limited to 200 feet rules out the Ikelite for me. I use a Mk 15.5 mixed gas CCR to film my rare fish subjects which are often found below 300 feet. Plus, the quality of those wet-mateable lenses pales in comparison to the lenses from Fathom Imaging. The latter is a requirement--in my opinion--to compete in the tight broadcast/pro market.

Sea&Sea, Light and Motion, Amphibico (though not for much longer), and Gates are the only ones that offer the superior Fathom Imaging lenses.

Thanks for your response.  I actually considered Ikelite, for about 30 seconds.

The fact that those housings are limited to 200 feet rules out the Ikelite for me.  I use a Mk 15.5 mixed gas CCR to film my rare fish subjects which are often found below 300 feet.  Plus, the quality of those wet-mateable lenses pales in comparison to the lenses from Fathom Imaging.  The latter is a requirement--in my opinion--to compete in the tight broadcast/pro market.

Sea&Sea, Light and Motion, Amphibico (though not for much longer), and Gates are the only ones that offer the superior Fathom Imaging lenses.

With your depth requirement, have you considered SeaLux? Doesn't have the fathom WAL but seriously, I've got one and for fish and scenery the standard lenses are still a tad sharper when you blow it up. Obviously flaring is much of an issue at 300ft but the WAL does flare.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements