Sign in to follow this  
ChinaBrad

Getting gear to and from the boat

Greetings all,

A question for you all. How do you transport your rig to and from the boat? Like many on this forum, I use a pelican case to travel w my gear to and from dive destinations. But once I arrive I don't like lugging the big case aboard the boat, plus the boats I usually dive with are small and WET.

What I normally do is set up my rig at the hotel or dive shop and then transfer it to a large canvas bag to carry aboard the boat. I leave the pelican behind.

The bag I am using is not that great of a solution - it doesn't fit that well, but it is easy to carry and is OK getting wet.

What do you folks use? Any better ideas? If you use your hard case, how does it hold up to getting wet repeatedly?

Thanks!

Brad

Well, instead of paying $59.95, go to Target or somewhere and buy a soft-sided cooler of whatever dimensions you like. They are insulated and usually will fold down flat. I also use mine to rinse my gear in.

Cost? Maybe $10, usually less.

Jack

Plastic crate works well :)

Size to fit the assembled rig, it affords some protection from dive gear & feet. Also good for keeping the car dry & salt free and rinsing off too.

Add a cut section of camping mattress foam for the deluxe model :blink:

A big strong wife helps.

BVA :blink:

I bought a Travel Pro Extreme 22 inch rolling duffel for $90.

Here is a link to a picture and description: http://www.1800luggage.com/product-product...category_id/469

I use it as a flight carryon for the the things I would not trust shipping in the Pelican or in the dive bag. In addition it carries a change of clothes and my ditty bag.

This rolling duffel works great for getting back and forth to the boat. It has several zip pockets to hold small tools, flash cards, batteries etc. It also has a large zippered pocket that holds my 8 inch dome port. The housing with handles attached fits perfectly and I use a large piece of bubble wrap to wrap the two strobes with arms attached.

The rolling duffle has upper and lower sections that open up with a zipper to a large interior. For traveling I put my wetsuit, regulator, prescription mask and computer in the lower section. I put everything else in the top section. For getting back and forth to the boat I use it in the "opened up" configuration.

It is pretty rugged and dies quickly. It fits under the seat on the boat but I try to put it below deck if I can. It collapses flat so it doesn't take up too much space. I bought some small "dry bags" from Hudson Trails Outfitters for the batteries etc. They fit perfectly in the duffle's zippered pockets.

post-1521-1115384407_thumb.jpg

I bought a small soft cooler at Target to carry the rig on the boat. The Ikelite DSLR housing, dome port and 2 strobes fit inside nicely. It also makes an excellent personal freshwater rinse tank. I wouldn't stick my rig in the big rinse bocket to slosh around with a half dozen other cameras. I squash it flat in my suitcase with the dive gear.

The Target model is durable enough but the one linked above is a bit nicer and pricier. It also might not go as flat in the bag.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements