echeng

Sony HDR-HC1/HVR-A1 and housings

Is 100% that the Sony Digital videokamera HDR-HC1 & HVR-A1

will owrk with the Silverfish?

If yes and they have manual withe balance i think that tis is a ideal housing

Lambis

Some more info I got today:

1) Seacam

Our HD/H1 housing is available and consist of an updated DV/S7 housing. The housing has a metallic gray finish w/silver graphics and black lens and handles.

The housing will cost $1699.00, and will include a 4" high resolution TFT/LCD color monitor.

2) Silverfish

The price for the housing including one set of four mignon cells is EUR 1,799.00, VAT included, forwarding expenses not included. You may order directly at AVD Videoproduktion.

According to the technical description the new SONY HDR HC1 is compatible with SILVERFISH (dimensions and LANC connectivity). Only an adapter for the audio/video output is necessary (available at AVD Videoproduktion, 49 EUR).

The company HGVT offers the service to extend the functional assignment of the push button switches by additional functions corresponding with customer-specific wishes. For this purpose, the equipment has to be sent in to HGVT. More information available at HGVT only.

More info from Seacam

""...Our new micro-controller will have a White Balance button, however most manufacture's White Balance control is simply recycling the internal software the camera uses when it first starts up, the same thing that happens when you turn camera "On". I simply turn the camera "Off" after shooting a scene, and restarting the camera and it's White Balance routine, to "White Balance"....

???

What they whant to say??

Hi guys,

Sorry bit confused here. As I understand it the Silverfish housing can offer manual white balance, but this involves sending the housing of for other functions to be added?

But... does the Seacam offer this functionality (white balance) through the LANC controls?

Thanks,

Tristan !

Thas right

Silverfish housing offer wite balance only if you send it to HGVT

But if you need white balance you only need to swich on & off the camera becauce sonny calculater new the white balance every time to camera is switch on

Lambis

Hi,

I was just wondering, isn't anyone annoyed by the tape bottom-loading feature on the HC1? It doesn't seem very smart, no matter what type of housing it gets into.

Or is it just a minor nuisance..., 'cause the HC1 is on top of my purchase list right now. :lol:

Alex

Just to bring up other options - AquaVideo has a housing already out for the HC1 - there are 3 that have been made so far. If you're not familiar with the AquaVideo housings, let me just say that it's the only housing I've seen stuck in the mouth of a tiger shark multiple times without flooding. The handling in-water of their housings is superb - on the last bahamas trip I worked on a passenger with a different brand housing (I won't say what brand, but it was black and heavy) decided to order an AquaVideo housing and sell her Gates after she compared them in the water. They are a fantastic deal.

I have a miniDV housing from Undersea Video Housings for my HDR-HC1. I just returned from Tonga yesterday. I shot a lot of footage, but really haven't had time to analyze it yet. The camera fits into the housing perfectly (almost no spare room), and Warren of USVH couldn't be better to deal with. As of now, I can not access WB.

http://www.underseavideo.com/index.html

Has anyone used the Light and Motion Bluefin housing with the Sony HDR-HC1?

Any info, good, bad, ugly would be appreciated!

Hi all,

Just recieved this reply from Amphibico. Still a little wait, but its should definetly be worth it!

Thank you for the interest in Amphibico products, producing images even

better than the real thing....

We have had a great success with our new Phenom FXZ1 housing..

Our engineers are designing it should be available this fall. October or

November. Cost will be $1995US for the basic Dive Buddy EVO HC1, consumer

version one electronic grip, manual white balance, we will also have a pro

version available in December cost around $2800US have a second electronic

grip with added manual focus and also have auto/on /off exposure

Both will have access to the manual white balance.

We will have a preview on our site in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Now that sounds great!!!

Finally a housing with manual white balance.

Lambis

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if people are going to burn their video to DVD to share, then where is the gain with HD? I heard DVDs are not HD quality.

If you aren't going to burn to DVD, then how are you going to share the video, other than directly from the camera outputs?

If there is a gain from HD capture put onto DVD over standard, how much gain is there?

People whant the best quality

With HD you can burn DVD send it in TV show it in Cinemas.

and the gain in DVD production with be mutch higher with HD

Lambis

Partially true Lambis

Yes any HQ source material will look much better downconverted to DVD Mpeg2 stream. But there is a downconversion. Even with the growing popularity of progressive scan DVD players, the quality difference is not that significant. With the HC1, it records in 1080i, so you also have to deinterlace the material during downconversion. It's not fun and you better have a lot of computer power. Present DVD players are not HD quality. And the advantage of HD is that it is native 16:9 as you say. But there's no easy way to convert to DVD stream source from HDV YET!

hi,

any thoughts about the ikelite housing for this camera?.

what do you guys think, any opinions would be appriciated?

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/sony_hc1.html

""All camera controls can be accessed with this housing, including both manual and auto focus.

All touch screen menu functions are also provided which allows white balance. ""

thanks

tom

Hi Tom,

Ok, its good to see another housing for this camera. IKELITE really do have some cheap offers - this housing is coming out at $950 which, compared to some of the other prices being thrown around looks very attractive. My initial concern would be the lack of (or even the option) of an external monitor, which the likes of Amphibico and Gates etc etc can offer (but of course at a cost).

Also, I see that they have access to all controls through the cameras touch screen menu options - I have never used manual controls to access camera options through the touch screen - perhaps someone else on here who has, can let us know how awkward it is to use this method?

All in all though you cannot really complain when your talking <$1000 !

Tristan

I have been gathering info about an housing for the Sony HDR HC1.

There appears to be some confusion as to whether auto white balance would suffice. Maybe someone else can enlighten us. I can confirm that the HC1 resets the white balance on power up. However the manual white balance seems to calibrate a little more accurately than the auto manual white balance on power up.

Therefore there still seems to be an advantage to find a housing with manual white balance control. The amphibico Evo HD claims to be able to do it with electronic control. It is not available yet. The miniDV USVH with extended controls has a manual white balance button but JohnnyQuest posted that he was unable to access white balance in a earlier post. I would be interested in hearing from him if he has the extended controls version. If so, what was the explanation from USVH?

The Silverfish unit does not have manual white balance. An email reply from HGVT said they cannot provide that function either. Bummer as the housing is cool looking.

There is little info on the Seacam housing. They emailed me and said I can set white balance by turning the comcorder off and then on again.

Does anyone have a housing that has manual white balance with the push of an electronic button ;) ? I would much prefer that over use of a pointing stick on the touch screen such as the Ocean Image model.

:angry::huh:

I know Amphibico cracked it for the HC1000 so i would give em time and hopefully they will be the best option. They do make a pretty sweet housing...(i have a definite Canadian bias... ;) )

The Amphibico Evo uses lanc to manual adjust white balance, as per my report.

I do have the extended controls. I can not access manual WB from the extended controls. The "menu" button does not function. I was told this when I had the housing adapted to my HDR-HC1.

I had the mini-USVH for my old TRV30. I bought the HDR-HC1 based on the measurements I found on the net and an "educated" hope that it would fit and function. I also had numerous conversations with Warren (the owner) before I bought the camera.

I preordered the camera. The day I received it, I discovered that it did fit in the housing (absolutely perfectly with no room to spare anywhere), but that the controls did not all work (as Warren told me to suspect.) I shipped the camera and housing to him. He changed out the chip, fabricated a new video out plug, and FedExed it back to me two days after he received it and two days before I left for Tonga.

Since my computer crashed after I returned home, I still haven't had time to edit or even really look at the footage I got. I did view a lot of it on the camera's LCD.

Warren says that WB cannot be accessed via the Lanc for any Sony camera with touch screen WB control. He says he is very leary of anyone who claims otherwise, but he is still investigating. He says he will believe it when he sees it.

As to the auto WB... The camera does do a fine tune WB adjustment upon power up or battery change. However, it does not do a "real" WB. I tried removing the battery for a while, putting the red filter on the port, reinstalling the battery, and powering up while pointing toward a while wall. After doing this (above water obviously), the image had a strong red tint. I then accesed WB via the touch screem and pushed "instant WB" (or whatever Sony calls it). The redness immediately went away and the image was correctly WBed even though the red filter was still in place.

For all you guys who say that Amphibico can WB via the Lanc, have you actually seen this work or are you going by what they have told you? It sure would be great if it can be done. I'm sure Warren will retrofit my controls if it can be done.

Hi Johnny,

I think you will find Amphibico have already done this on another camera, the HC-1000, you can read the review regarding access to manual white balance here:

HC-1000 manual white balance access

Also, as you read in the report this function was not actually available through LANC on this particular camera, but their engineers where able to 'hack' into the actual programming of the camera and hence gain access to the function. As I understand it, the HC1 will have access through the LANC and hence some of the problems associated with the HC-1000 (highlighted in the report) should not occur.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Tristan

No problem!

I noticed today that Amphibico have actually begun adding information about the housing, theres only really a link at the momment, but im sure it will be more comprehensive soon!

Hey guys newbie question regarding the new Sony HD camera, I was at the local Best Buy looking at the camera and could not locate the LANC out port? Did I completely miss it or is there another external conrol interface?

Thanks,

Coldwaterdude

Sponsors

Advertisements