Sign in to follow this  
wetpixel

Introductions (original thread, now closed)

Hello everyone!

I am new to digital underwater and am out here to learn from you old hands. Which I have been already looking through the notice boards.

For digital - I use a D100 in a Subal housing. Which is great.

My particular interest in digital are the areas where I can get pictures I can't on film, such as the control that digital offers over white balance. Which is FANTASTIC! I see digital as a companion (with a different set of skills) to film at the moment, and not yet a replacement. But there is no doubt it will be.

I am a marine biologist and work at the UK's Southampton Oceanography Centre on plankton! I am 27 and also look after the Young Underwater Photographer's website YUP.

My main underwater camera is a Nikon F100 again dressed in Subal. But I also use a Hasselblad when I want high high quality. Which when scanned at 4000dpi is 92megapixel rather better than 6 on the D100.

I am a marine biologist and work at the UK's Southampton Oceanography Centre on plankton! I am 27 and also look after the Young Underwater Photographer's website YUP.

Hi Alex,

Its good to have a fellow Brit on board. Look forward to seeing some pics.

YUP.......interesting! I see your membership expires in 3yrs!!

How about setting up a new site for us 'old uns' over 30. How about calling it OAP!! :)

Mark

Us Brits have to stick together you know! There's not that many of us on wetpixel.

I do think that Brits have been slower than the North Americans and my friends in SE Asia and Japan in embracing digital cameras.

But I am pleased to report that I presented a digital addendum to the talk on swimming pool photography at this weeks meeting of the British Society of Underwater Photography BSOUP.

There are few guys I know using D1s in custom built housings and plenty who have a small digi compact. But few are trading in their 35mm stuff. I am working on them, but their is still a long way to go!

Alex

Hi, I'm David.

Originally trained as a maths teacher, but discovered my decision-making style is completely inappropriate for classroom teaching. The resulting stresses probably would have (literally) killed me if I didn't quit... so now I'm an actuary, working (70% of full-time) in a consultancy in Hong Kong. Everyone else thinks this job is stressful but after my 18 months of hell as a teacher I don't find anything to complain about here!

The great thing about being an actuary is that I don't need to work full time to support my diving habit! Although I don't dive Hong Kong (vis is pretty awful), it's quite a good base for diving throughout SE Asia.

For about 5 years I went snorkelling every chance I could get, saying "I don't want to learn to dive yet because I'm sure I'll like diving, so I guess I'll spend a lot of money on it once I start". I was right ... I started diving exactly 2 years ago, will do my 200th dive next week. I have had a camera with me on almost every dive, because I bought an MX-10 some years ago for snorkelling.

First underwater digital camera was Sony P5 in a MPK-5 (bought about 6 months ago), but I got too frustrated with the white balance limitations and recently got an Oly 5050. Just about to try out my new DS-50 strobe with that.

Lots to learn ... I appreciate all the useful info I have picked up at Wetpixel!

-David

Hi all -

donauw is Don Dixon living in Wausau, Wisconsin and Big Pine Key, Florida, USA. I am not a pro - practice Emergency Medicine to support my dive and photo habits.

Diving since 1996, shooting uw almost as long. First with Minolta in Ikelite housing, then Nikonos V (after flooding the Ike housing), then with F100 in Sea & Sea NX100 Pro, now with D100 in Sea & Sea DX-D100. I've been shooting digital topside for 5 years (Olympus point/shoot, Nikon D1 for two years, and now Nikon D100) and have scanned much of my uw work in the past. I'm anxious to get use of the D100 uw now! Current setup is the D100, Nikon 14mm f2.8 AFD, Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 AFS, Nikon 60 mm macro and twin Ikelite 200s. I travel with small Sony laptop and HP 200e DVD burner - shoot RAW and burn my files directly onto DVDs.

Most of my diving is in the Keys and Great Lakes (summer only - no ice diving, thanks). Trips have included Roatan, Utila, Channel Islands, Palau, Truk, Silver Banks (whales) and Galapagos. I dive a Drager Dolphin in the Keys and on trips where there is rebreather support. (I continue to be amazed by how little impact my presence has on marine life with the rebreather c/w open circuit)

This is so much more fun than work!

Don Dixon

http://www.dixonphotos.net

hello !!

i am herwin from amsterdam. sometimes i scuba dive, but usually i snorkeldive, as my prefered way to explore the beautiful marine life. i usual go to a depht of six meter, but deepest depht was 21 meter while making a photo from a passing seaturtle , with my NIKONOS. This camera was stolen at Bocas del Toro , Panama, :angryfire: , going with the digital flow, i now have a c40-40z olympus with a pt-010 housing. i could use my sb 105 flashlight (strobe mode) but prefer natural light. some of my pics are on my home page, they are from japan, honduras, costa rica, egypt. http://members.ams.chello.nl/h.walravens/a...undtheworld.htm

can anybody tell me what this smile means :ph34r: ??

catch ya all later!

I'm Sean and stumbled upon this site when I had the money depleting idea of taking up U/W photography as a new hobby. Currently I have an Olympus c3040z housed in a ziplock bag, but I plan to sell my "first born" (granted that wont get much, especially since I don't even have a "babymaker" to create such a creature) for some equipment prior to my trip to Bonaire in April 2003.

I dwell in San Francisco (it sucks :angryfire: , contrary to popular myth, but fun to visit I'm sure) and I pay rent (barely) by slaving away at UCSF as a neuroradiology fellow.

In case you didn't know, you guys are 'fricken hard core' about U/W photography, but it's payed off, because the pics are amazing. So now I know what I want to be when I grow up.

Other hobbies that I actually have a shred of knowledge about: mountain biking, snowboarding, surfing, white water kayaking, fly fishing (ok, I'm not so hot at this last one, but I sure appear adept in those waders).

SOB (my mom's Swedish, so she had no idea of the connotation of these initials ;))

Hi I'm Brett, I live and work as an insurance broker in Brisbane Australia.

I have been diving for 18 years and have only very briefly dabbled in U/W photography. I have been lucky enough to dive a fair bit of the South Pacific and South East Asia and lived and instructed at a dive resort in the Philippines for 6 months.

I have a Nikonos V 35mm and 75mm lens with dual Isotta Strobes which I want to upgrade to digital, hopefully.

Brett

Hi. My name is John. I've been a sporadic visitor and very infrequent poster, mostly just because of a time issue, since James invited me a while back. It certainly isn't for lack of interest because the topics and opinions posted here are fascinating.

Alright, a little about me... During the daytime, I work in computers at a large insurance company. As fun as it is, this just serves to finance my other interests. I live in Central Florida and am lucky enough to dive about every other weekend, year 'round. I've been diving for 24 years and am currently a non-working PADI Divemaster.

I started taking land-based photos over 20 years ago but didn't really take it seriously until about 7 years ago, during my first Caribbean vacation. I've been lucky enough to dive in Hawaii, California, a freakin' cold mountain lake in South Dakota, rivers, lakes, and springs in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Florida, an abandoned lead mine in Missouri, the Gulf side and the Atlantic side of Florida (100s of times), the Keys, three trips to the Bahamas, two to Roatan, and once each to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Curacao.

Also, I'm a graduate of the Stephen Frink Underwater Photography School. Stephen is one of the most published underwater photographers in the world and I was fortunate to get into his always-sold-out class. As would be expected, the quality of my photos has improved dramatically since then and I formed John Easley Photography.

Some of my photos have been published in two different dive magazines, one has been reproduced as a water color and is hanging in a local gallery, another has been made into a postcard, and several others were made into a calendar. Some of my photos have appeared on t-shirts, a half dozen of them are in use by the Florida Wildlife Commission in a traveling presentation, a bunch have been used on various websites including Ikelite, and an entire batch are currently on loan to a local art museum where they are considering sponsoring an exhibition of my work. I set up a display booth in six or seven art shows per year and sell my photos on a website at www.johneasley.com. I have been invited to group and club meetings as the keynote speaker to give underwater photography presentations and receive, on average, about two e-mails every week from someone new asking for advice or assistance with underwater photography or related equipment.

Equipmentwise... I went the entire gamut from disposable underwater cameras (which, despite what anyone says, WILL flood at 78 feet and ruin all of the photos from a trip), to an Epoque 100, to an MX10, then into digital. At first, I housed a Nikon CoolPix 800 in an Ikelite housing with a DS50 strobe. Later, that was replaced with an Olympus C4040 in an Ikelite housing with twin DS50 strobes. Last fall, the Olympus gave way to the Fuji S2 Pro digital SLR, which is housed in an Ikelite case and has twin sync-corded DS125s. The Fuji is outfitted with a Nikon 18-35mm wide-angle zoom lens behind a 6 inch dome port for wide-angle and fish portraiture work. For close up work, I opted for the Nikon 60mm macro lens which sits behind a flat port and has the pop-on Woody's Diopter (about +3)on the outside. So far, the rig is working pretty well.

Now, all that being said... I am continually learning things from the stream of chatter on these forums. Eric should be commended for giving us this home away from home... which we sometimes look at while actually at home, which would make it a home at home. Anyway, thanks Eric.

John

Hi! My name is Bill and I'm a dive-aholic :freak:. I live in the frozen tundra of the Chicago Suburbs. Have owned a Civil Engineering consulting firm for 13 yrs. Have been an active freshwater fisherman, and keep freshwater gamefish (muskies) in aquariums. Been fooling around with soil based low tech freshwater setups recently.

Got into reading Clive Cussler novels a few years ago and was curious about some of Dirk Pitt's Gear (the Doxa Dive watch and some of his knives). Finally stopped into the local dive shop I had passed by for years on my way back from looking at a project with my wife. Went into the store looking for the Doxa and maybe a cool knife. Never had any intention on scuba diving, ever. The young man who was on the floor was showing me some of the gear for scuba and said, "Hey, why don't you and your wife come to the pool tomorrow night for a Discover Scuba and try it? It cost about the same as dinner and a movie and who knows?" Amazing how insidious these diseases can be. Finding their way in on the thinnest most innocent thread. Just when your looking down at the cute puppy... WHAM!!! :D It nails you.

Well, to make a long story a bit longer, on the way home we called them back and said sign us up!! The rest is history. My wife and I did the DS in July 2000, I did my OW in Aug. 2000, did AOW in Sept - Oct. 2000, then Rescue...you get the idea. I stopped at DM and after a couple years I am due to do my IDC to spread the disease!!! :ph34r:

Then this Camera thing!! After diving in Bonaire in last month with the venerable MX-10, I had finally had it with point and surprise!! I decided digital would be it!! New disease.... Currently choosing between the D100 and S2 + housings, etc.

I have been a member at Digital Diver for about a month and have learned a bunch from those great people. Am here to do the same and shortly be able to post my own Digital masterpieces!! :)

P.S. Has anyone ever seen a Doxa dive watch? (never got around to finding one...)

Hi Bill,

I think Markh may well have a Doxa dive watch... Dirk taught him everything!

I like very much your 'Klingon Camera' with cloaking device, sure will fool those pesky fish types!

Welcome, Bill!

In the future, can you please size your images down to below 640 pixels or so? (horizontally) I'm going to edit your pst down so the rest of the messages here aren't pulled out so far.

hey everyone, im Jesse from FL. Nice website...lots of sweet pics. Im pretty new to diving, got certified Sept of last year, got 22 dives under my belt so far and cant get enough of it...just wish i had more money and time off so i could do it everyday.

p.s. if anyone has a good starter setup for sale or suggestions on buying some photo equipment, i'd appreciate it.

Later

Jesse

Hi,

I'm Kevin from just outside Dover in the not so sunny UK and am an IT Project Manager.

Once an 'every weekend' UK diver my work commitments are such that I tend only to be able to dive when on holiday nowadays :D . Still, maybe this year....

Wherever possible I drag my Inspiration CCR along with me to supplement the Tetra housed Olympus 4040z and Sea and Sea strobes which I've had for about 10 months/three dive trips with varying but, I think, improving results.

Kevin

Welcome to another Brit.

Thanks, looks like you get around.

Should I infer from your group that there are abnormal moderators around here? :unsure:

Good question! :unsure:

What you will discover is a great bunch of people who will be able to shorten that learning curve dramatically through good advice, critique and inspiration - no pun intended!!!

Hi!

Big Al here from Shark Diver Mag! You've got a great forum Eric. I hope to learn more as I interact with your forum members.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jim Abernethy and I am new to this forum. I operate three local dive charter boats in Palm Beach, Florida and one liveaboard dive vessel in the Bahamas. I shoot roughly six days a week with a digital sony trv-900 video camera in an Aqua Video housing with two large lights or a Canon d-60 still camera in a sea & sea housing with two strobes. On my days off I usually fly with a photographer in a flying inflatable boat in search of aerial marine animal images! We just started using the still camera underwater so my wife and I still have a lot to learn! I am really looking forward to learning more about what we love (images) from all of you. Presently I have "hired" Eric Cheng to teach my wife and me about digital imaging and web design. Immediately I ran into a problem that I am sure many of you have experienced with your computers. However, I was experiencing it with my brain. I was attempting to download massive gigabytes of information from Eric during our classes, when I quickly discovered that my processer was incredibly slow, my connection wasn't any where near fast enough and my hard drive was definitely way to small for that much data. For those of you that know Eric personally, I am sure you know exactly what I mean!

Since I'm participating on this board for some time now, I think it's time to Intoduce myself.

Im 28 years old, living in Frankfurt, Germany an Dive for 1 1/2 years now. I started taking UW Pic right at my second divetrip. I photpgraph a lot "over water too". At the moment I use a S40 with a WP-DC 300 Housing and Im' going to order a DS125 in the next days (i'm off to Egypt in March : -) ) . Since yesterday I'm the proud owner of a Canon D60, but I don'Ät have a housing yet and will not buy one before my trip in march.

I'm working as a freelanced IT-Consultant.