randapex

Rear curtain

Not sure how much interest there is in this type of shot. But it's something I've wanted to try for a long time but didn't. Seems like it's an interesting approach until you're actually shooting and then bottom time becomes so precious, you don't want to waste it on a technique that I at first thought, and indeed confirmed, reults in many useless images.

I liked this one in particular because the fish, instead of swimming forward and leaving the under exposed image at the rear of the fish which I think is more common, dropped down resulting in a bit different mirror image result.

I'd like to learn more about it. So, if anyone has input or suggestions, I'd like to work on it further.

tiffDSC_2765_yellowtangrev_700-01.jpg

Rand

Rand,

Very interesting! You can clearly see where the fish was at the beginning and the end of the exposure. How long was the shutter open?

Rear curtain sync results in some stunning long exposures, it's especially fun to use topside as well.

Cheers

James

I like he pic, it's a very interesting effect, suppose it's difficult to get. I think that it makes a more attactive image. Nice shot!

Thanks Ana.

James, sorry, should have had this info with the shot. 1/3 second @ f22.

Works for me Rand.

Its an unusual shot. And probably making Canon shooters jealous :D !

But I don't think it is that rear curtain part is that effective. For my taste I think that having a second ghost image of the fish is confusing. I like to see ghosting used to create smooth blurring in the background. Maybe this is a personal taste thing.

Here is the only damselfish ghosting shot I have, which shows what I mean my smooth ghosting.

07_free_14.jpg

What I think works very well is your use of colours. The yellow fish looks fantastic set against those blues. Much nicer than my ugly Sergeant Majors!

Alex

I like it Rand! It gives an interesting effect. As Alex said, the punchy colors is what does it for me, but also the water streaks of blue and black. I think you should keep trying it and show us some more examples of what can be done with it.

I will try it on my next trip (a month or so from now), and see what I can come up with.

David.

Its an unusual shot. And probably making Canon shooters jealous :D !

But I don't think it is that rear curtain part is that effective. For my taste I think that having a second ghost image of the fish is confusing. I like to see ghosting used to create smooth blurring in the background. Maybe this is a personal taste thing.

Here is the only damselfish ghosting shot I have, which shows what I mean my smooth ghosting.

07_free_14.jpg

What I think works very well is your use of colours. The yellow fish looks fantastic set against those blues. Much nicer than my ugly Sergeant Majors!

Alex

Canon can't do this? Some how my camera went into rear curtain sync and it took me a bit to figure out why the shutter seemed slow. (topside that is) Then I realized that is was switched over to this.

Are you saying because the strobes won't sync up properly? I am cusious as I do like the effect of the shot and would like to try some shooting this way to see the results. If my equipment will allow it... :D

Thanks for any insights. :D

Alex, would you share your EXIF info on that shot? :D:D

Thanks,

Karl

re: Ghosting in the background: That's what I was going for as far as my initial test shots. Problem was, they all looked like crap. I'd started with some black with white striped Anemone fish. The white stripe was flaring out behind and didn't look all that attractive. Thought it was just the way it is but after seeing Alex nail the stripes on the Sgt. Majors, it's obviously possible to stop the smudging affect. Although white stripes may be more of a challange.

I too am curious, and this may be too intrusive, what Alex's exif was. I'm looking to try this on the Bahamas shark dive. Trying to get maybe a little differernt look.

This was my best effort with the Sharks in PNG (and it's not good):

tiffDSC_3241_sharkrearcurtain640.jpg

One final question, does the camera continue to focus after the shutter is pushed? My guess is it doesn't but I don't know.

Rand

Canon digital SLRs cannot rear-curtain sync with manual strobes. Putting an E-TTL strobe on and setting it for rear-curtain shows why: the preflashes still occur with first curtain, and the manual strobes probably time out while waiting for the final trigger.

Can an E-TTL expert out there help us to explain why?

In any case, it's really annoying. Canon needs a "force second curtain sync" option that works with manual strobes by disabling preflashes.

1st curtain shot:

050331_151247_echeng8879.jpg

It's ok, but not fantastically compelling. :D

Canon digital SLRs cannot rear-curtain sync with manual strobes.  Putting an E-TTL strobe on and setting it for rear-curtain shows why: the preflashes still occur with first curtain, and the manual strobes probably time out while waiting for the final trigger.

Can an E-TTL expert out there help us to explain why?

In any case, it's really annoying.  Canon needs a "force second curtain sync" option that works with manual strobes by disabling preflashes.

1st curtain shot:

050331_151247_echeng8879.jpg

It's ok, but not fantastically compelling. :D

Thanks Eric. I had a feeling that was what Alex was referring to. I really like the effect. I had seen some similiar looking shots from Mauricio and sharks and liked the lookand those were not rear curtain so maybe still some hope for the effect.

Rand, go for it. For some inspiration, check out Craig's blurred shark photos from his trip w/ Mauricio - they are amazing.

That's why I want an ETTL converter for my 1DmkII :-)

Cheers

James

I like Eric's shot becuase he managed to blur out the background diver. And this has me thinking more about turning the normal bubble cloud when you've got several divers in the background, into something a little more interesting...or not...

Rand

Todd,

I believe Mauricio is only using very slow shutter speeds and panning with subject. I asked him about this very topic and the effect he had achieved while shooting in Guadalupe with GW's.

M.

Todd,

I believe Mauricio is only using very slow shutter speeds and panning with subject.  I asked him about this very topic and the effect he had achieved while shooting in Guadalupe with GW's.

M.

Yep that's what I poorly meant to say. In the rear sync and the panning I like the blurred effect on the background and want to play with it more. Thanks for the clarification.

Sponsors

Advertisements