Sign in to follow this  
Arnon_Ayal

Honk Kong

I'm going to Honk Kong for few days probably next week, is it worth diving there?

I understood that it's not exactly world class diving there, but if the company pay me to get there...

My HK friends all head out to Philippines (Puerto Gelara or Anilao) for the diving instead....

Eric

Second question, since I understood that its probably not worth diving there I want to do the next satisfactory thing, shopping :)

Does someone have knowledge on the photography equipment prices this days in Hong Kong (comparison the prices in US)

Also recommendations on good and reliable shops will be great.

Last year, I went to Puerto Galera. Outfit there, Asia Diver. They are fairly good however some of the dive instructors didn't seem to care about the reef and ran into a 8 foot acro coral head. Broke it to pieces. :)

Don't bother shopping in HK for cameras and lens. I've been there quite a few times and it's typically cheaper in the US. I did get a Bogen tripod there cheap. Accessories are usually cheaper.

You can haggle if you wish but know the US price first. Otherwise they WILL rape your credit card.

I hate dealing with sales people that will screw you over. Try B&H, 17th Street Photo (aka Flashpoint Photo on ebay). Great service and very good prices.

Curtis

Absolutely concur with previous posters on diving in Hong Kong. I lived there (mostly on, some off) for a couple of decades, and I can affirmatively say that the diving in HK is great provided you fly to the Philippines or Indonesia first. Puerto Galera was always my first choice for a nice long weekend's diving - you don't need to do a local flight from Manila, which translates into an extra 1/2 day to 1 day diving if you booked the evening flight from Manila back to HK.

Ditto on buying cameras etc. I bought my first Nikon F in Hong Kong back in the late 1960s, when you could get one their for about half the US price. That was then, but HK prices and exchange rates have changed since then. Buying cameras in HK hasn't been a super deal since the time of the Vietnam War, but the reputation (oddly) lingers on and on.

But if you DO need to buy any photo gear in Hong Kong, I can recommend Mr. Poon at Photo Scientific, 6 Stanley St., G/F. It's convenient and right in central, just off d'Aguilar Street. +852 2522-0871. A small place with limited stock on hand, but with a bit of notice Mr. Poon can get ahold of pretty much anything. Patronized by many of the professional photographers based in Hong Kong.

(I left Hong Kong two years ago, but get back a couple of times a year. Hong Kong is still a great location for sailing, as long as you don't let any of the polluted water splash on you. Now, does anybody want to buy a nice 28 foot sloop, with mooring?)

Frogfish

I'm not sure if the price still have gap, some price for your reference.

e.g.

D70s body only US$76X.XX

D2X arund US$43XX.XX

It is the street price with local warranty, everyone can get this price.

This are also some "parallel import" that cam without warranty, the price will have 10% lower.

For diving, I think you may not interest in HK, specially in summer.

Water are usually green and very low vis. I can promise, no blue water no big fish, but small fish and lots of coral.

Food is OK in HK - as long as you know where to go !

Paul C

Food is wonderful in HK! I'm drooling just thinking about going back and eatting!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements