col

Nexus / Subal housing for D70s

Hi all

Am looking to get a Nexus or Subal housing for D70s.

Firstly, do all the buttons on existing D70 housings work for the D70s? Does anyone actually use one?

Secondly, I understand that both housings are pretty much at the top of the ladder, however what are the pros / cons between the two housings / systems? Seem to be able to find lots of info for the Subal but not the Nexus. Actually really like the Subal but will be using two strobes so am unsure how to attach the 2nd arm.

I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia and would prefer to purchase the housing locally (i.e. SE Asia - Singapore, Hong Kong etc) - any good dealers around and any idea on prices?

Thanks for any input received.

Hi Col,

Welcome to Wetpixel.

I haven't used either of the housings, so I can't help you there, but a few things to consider - well the main one really is which housing has the best "market penetration" and customer support in your area? The two housings are very similar in quality and features.

Cheers

James

Hi Col, I agree with James. I was making this very same decision (housings for a different camera, but I was deciding between Subal and Nexus) a few weeks ago and I chose the Subal because it has more dealers (and more customer support) in the US than Nexus does.

Another factor that influenced me was that Subal offers a large fisheye domeport, and Nexus does not, all nexus dome ports have a relatively small diameter (but they are cheaper).

Now, regarding your question about the arms, you can either replace the original Subal handles with handles that have attachments for srobe arms, or you can use the accessory mount on the top of the Subal housing. To me, the first option is the best, but it involves additional cost. I really don't know why Subal designed this (and the Canon Rebel) housing with only one strobe arm mount. I can see where they could save (to keep the housing cost low) in installing only one flash connector, and you can very well get away with a dual sync cord, but almost everybody that shoots dSLR uses 2 strobes, and needs two strobe mounts.

Also, Ikelite and Aquatica officially said that the D70s works properly in their D70 housings, so I think Nexus and Subal should be the same, but there is no official announcement on their part.

I hope this helps.

Luiz

My divebuddy used Nexus housing and I did play a bit with Subal housing. Both are very good but there are couple of differences.

Nexus, the camera does not go in or come out of the housing so easily. Once it is in, it is in unlike Subal where it does not really take any effort to remove or place the camera in the housing. Nexus dome is small but each is optimized for specific lens so you won't need big dome for the 12-24mm or 10.5mm which makes for a small package underwater. Nexus does have AF/MF switch in front but don't remember if Subal has it or not. Subal does have the option of adding GS Viewfinder which I think is very handy for small viewfinder on D70.

Portwise, at least when I compare the prices of the ports for my lenses for my D2X, Subal and Nexus came out quite similar over here.

Now, regarding your question about the arms, you can either replace the original Subal handles with handles that have attachments for srobe arms, or you can use the accessory mount on the top of the Subal housing. To me, the first option is the best, but it involves additional cost.

Thanks for all the responses.

Must admit, I didn't think of replacing the Subal handles but is sounds like a good solution. I currently have a set of Sea&Sea handles that I am using with a digital compact set-up that I could use - anyone know whether these will work / how the Subal handles are connected to the housing?

Hi Col,

I have a Sea&Sea housing, and will receive my Subal next week. I am not sure if the Sea&Sea handles will fit the Subal, but I will do the test myself. I really prefer to attach the arms to the handles and not the housing, I will let you know if it works.

Luiz

Hi Col,

I have a Sea&Sea housing, and will receive my Subal next week. I am not sure if the Sea&Sea handles will fit the Subal, but I will do the test myself. I really prefer to attach the arms to the handles and not the housing, I will let you know if it works.

Luiz

Hi Luiz

Look forward to hearing your findings from your test.

Col.

The D70s will fit housings just fine unless Nikon moved the buttons on the camera back farther out from the centerline to make room for the larger (2.0" vs 1.8") TFT panel on the D70s. It does not look like thge buttons have been moved so I believe the existing D70 Nexus housing will work with the D70s.

For the Nexus housing even if they do move the camera buttons further outboard where the housing buttons no longer work, Nexus will just require a new acrylic insert for the housing back with the buttons repositioned.

Nexus has a 170mm dome (which I personally use both with and without port extensions depending on lens I have inside it) I recommend to my customers and a 230mm dome (which is one whole kilo buoyant and I do not use) which works nicely for split shots because it is so very buoyant. I do not see any need for a larger dome than these two. Nexus does offer a few smaller domes but the 170mm dome has been my preferred dome for ten years now.

Nexus has a 170mm dome (which I personally use both with and without port extensions depending on lens I have inside it) I recommend to my customers and a 230mm dome (which is one whole kilo buoyant and I do not use) which works nicely for split shots because it is so very buoyant. I do not see any need for a larger dome than these two. Nexus does offer a few smaller domes but the 170mm dome has been my preferred dome for ten years now.

Hi Woody,

One of the factors that led me to choose Subal instead of Nexus was the port choice. According to Nexus lenses and ports chart, Nikon's fisheye lens (my preferred wide angle lens, and the one I use for split shots) can only be used with the FP120, which is, as the name implies, only 120mm (or 4.7 inches) wide.

According to the same chart, the big dome, FP230 (230mm or 9 inches wide) can only be used with the rectilinear 14mm lens. The FP170 (170mm or 6.7 inches wide) is the most versatile, and can be used with a range of zooms, including the 12-24, but not with the 10.5 or 16mm fisheyes. So, according to the chart, I'd have to buy the small FP120 for the fisheye and an FP170 for my remaining zoom lenses, plus a flat port for macro. So, I still see a need for a large dome that works with the fisheyes. That's why in the end I chose Subal.

Luiz

Luiz-

Im using the 10.5 and Sigma 15 FE with the 170...seems to be working ok..

M.

Thanks for the info. I really think Nexus should update the port chart in their page. I don't regret going with Subal, but if I had known that I could use the 10.5 with Nexus larger domes my decision could have been different.

Luiz

Hi Luiz

Look forward to hearing your findings from your test.

Col.

Hi Col,

I received my Subal housing today, and the Sea&Sea handles don't fit. I guess your only option is ultralight handles. Here is a thread about them and how to use them on the D70 housing (with pictures):

Thread on Subal D70 and Ultralight Handles

I hope this helps,

Luiz

EDIT: the pictures on the thread above are not loading, but you can copy and paste the links in a new browser window.

Back to the questiom about Subal Nexus Housings

The port Question is a big issue when you choice a housing

For me this small Some info about the FP120-7 120mm glas Dome from Nexus sounds perfect Diesign only for the 16mm & 10,5mm

but the information that is existing is blurry!!

On the usa Nexus webpage is recoment to use ti with 10.5mm & 16mm

On Anthis Nexus japan webage is writen that is only work with 10,5mm & on a Nikon 100 Housing

Other (Dealers) say that 160mm glass dome port the ideal port for those lenses

No information about the Sigma 15mm

And if somebody say to me use the 170 port I say O.K. But hwats about the new ports that nexus have? We know that the 170 is a gret alround port, we ask about the new ones!!!

You can't Contact Nexus direct, no email so the dealers must do this job and inform the customers

The same with the new Nexus D70s multifinder model

It,s not normal that I know more about this model that a dealer

In the same time they must inform that some nexus Models dont have AE-L /AF-L button!!

Correct information is what we need!!

Sponsors

Advertisements