jnsgonda

Hitachi 4GB Microdrive for the Fuji S2 ?

Hello,

I just tried a Hitachi 4GB Microdrive in my Fuji S2 and I can't get it to format in the camera. I'm wondering if they are not compatible. I remember James posting a list of media that will work in the S2 but I couldn't find it using the "Search".

My 1GB IBM microdrives work fine in the same camera.

Leaving for Fiji on the Naia in 2 days!

Thanks,

John

Hey John - Tried doing a quick search, but not sure of your problem...you might try DPReview and see what a forum search gives you there...good luck working it out...

Leaving for Fiji on the Naia in 2 days!

Hey, if you could, say hi to Josh and Liz for me (they work on the boat)...they were on the Bilikiki during my Solomons trip...enjoy Fiji.

~Matt Segal

I'm 90% sure that the S2 uses the FAT16 file system rather than the later FAT32 system. This limits the card size to 2GB. It should be mentioned in the user manual.

Try www.robgalbraith.com where there is an extensive amount of info on CF cards, etc..

John. the S2 is a FAT 16 camera. We are limited to 2Gb.

There is a way to format the 4GB card (using a computer)in FAT 16, using 2 partitions, but in the camera you will only see one, and you will NOT want to reformat in the camera.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the quick replies. That's what I get for being the guy who doesn't read the manuals before plowing ahead! Guess I'll save the 4GB card for when I get my D2X :)

Matt,

I'll say hello for you. Loved your Solomons gallery btw!!! I plan on getting out locally more than I have in the past 6 months when I get back. Hope to see ya.

Richard,

Hope to see you soon as well. I just picked up a 10.5DX fisheye and the Ike 5503.15 port. What a liitle thing!

Thanks again everyone,

John

Have a great trip john!

How soon before your new dive buddy makes an entrance?

I know, you told me, but I 'caint remember! :)

Richard,

Thanks for asking! Little Nate is due to swim out into the world (if only it were that easy!) September 16th. I'm going to get as much local diving in as I can between now and the end of August! I keep telling myself...This will not be my last trip!!! Plus I'm trying to justify the D2X as being great for baby pictures!

Sarah's doing great. Just bummed out she can't go to Fiji :)

Sounds like you got help John - great. I'm pretty sure you can get it formatted Fat16 and from then on you will be able to format in camera but you will only get 2 gigs.

I didn't know you two were expecting - congrats! That's very cool.

Cheers

James

Thank for the post guy's, I have an S2pro also and never read the instruction manual, you see I work in a camera store and usually think i'm smarter than the book :) guess i'll put the 4g back on the shelf, darn it's hard to curb your expense when youre on a spree. :)

I can confirm that the 4 GB Hitachi works with the S2 if the card is formatted FAT with 64 clusters. I have shot more than a year with this. the only drawback is that the framecounter from the camera does not work properly anymore (but you can still find out how many pics are left...) and you must not fomat the card in the camera afterwards (but you can delete all pictures after downlodading). To format the card see the instruction manual posted earlier here or make a websearch.

Sponsors

Advertisements