GrtDay

Upgrade Ikelite DS-125's?

In talking with the great folks at Ikelite, I understand there is an upgrade for earlier DS-125 strobes. Well, based on serial numbers, it looks like I have 2 of them.

They want $150. each to do the upgrade.

Ike or anyone, can you please tell me what the upgrade offers me? Do I need it?

Additionally, I understand there is a new dual sync cord with a blue band vs. my yellow banded dual-sync cord. It is only $160.

What are the changes and benefits? Do I need it and big thanks to all!

Dive cheerfully! Ron :)

As I understand it, the upgrade is necessary if you want to use the strobes with Ike's TTL conversion circuitry for newer Canon or Nikon cameras (others?) such as the Canon 20D, 350D, or Nikon D70 (others?). Same deal for the new sync cord. Chances are, if you don't know what they are for you don't need the upgrade for your setup.

Lanier

Ok. Makes sense....so will the D100 be able to take advantage of Ike's new Circuitr?

Thanks to all who make this a great board! Thanks to Ike and the boys for keeping us broke!

Dive cheerfully! Ron

Hi Ron,

Unfortunately, the new circuit doesn't work on the D100 (which uses dTTL). It only works on the D70 in iTTL. It will work on the D50 when Ikelite makes a housing for it.

if you don't know what they are for you don't need the upgrade for your setup.

Lanier, with attitude like this you can destroy the all advertising world <_<

Ron,

The "blue-banded" TTL cord is necessary with newer iTTL, Olympus TTL, and eTTL housings due to the fact you need all 5 pins connected to allow proper communication between the camera and strobe(s).

The strobe upgrades also need to be done for proper camera-strobe TTL communication.

The D100 is dTTL and there is no interface circuit available. Since the D100 was discontinued, dTTL is low on the priority list . We currently have circuitry for Nikon TTL, iTTL, eTTL, eTTL2, and Olympus TTL.

Since you're shooting with the D100, you don't need the upgrades right now.

Since the D100 was discontinued, dTTL is low on the priority list .

The D100 was not discontinued. It may be an old model, outdated and there are better cameras on the market, but the D100 is still listed on Nikon's site and available new from any camera store.

The D100 was not discontinued. It may be an old model, outdated and there are better cameras on the market, but the D100 is still listed on Nikon's site and available new from any camera store.

Available yes, made no

Regards

I am curious, and I admit I may be wrong, but is there any official word from Nikon about it? If not, how did you obtain this info?

iTTL, eTTL, eTTL2, and Olympus TTL.

Does anyone can comment on how the E-300 TTL performs with a DS-125?

Lanier, with attitude like this you can destroy the all advertising world  <_<

That came out a little funny, didn't it! What I meant was, if everything is working fine now, you probably don't need the update.

Lanier

We are working on E-300 TTL and getting very close............

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Y'all at Ikelite are wonderful with service and information.

I'm sad to hear that your new circuitry will not work with my D100.

I don't suppose the new D300 will fit into the D100 housing which I just bought! Drat!

Sponsors

Advertisements