Sign in to follow this  
col

Fisheyes u/w

Hi all

I want to use the 10.5mm f/2.8 FE on a D70s u/w - do I need to convert images taken u/w with the 10.5 FE (or any other FE) like I would on land? If so, what software is the best to use?

Can anyone post a before / after conversion pic so I can see the diff??

Also, anyone know the min. focus of the 10.5 FE?

Many thanks

Col.

Hi Col,

I can answer some of your questions. First, no, you don't need to convert images simply because you will not notice distortion in underwater images, unless you are photographing something with straight lines, like a shipwreck. When you convert, you lose coverage. As far as I know, the only software that you can use to de-fish the 10.5 is Nikon Capture. The minimum focus distance of the 10.5 is 5.5 inches, or 14 cm and a diopter is not required. I can't post any before/after comparisons because I haven't got my 10.5 yet, but I am sure I won't use the de-fish tool at all, since I never felt the need for it when I use my 16 mm fish eye lens in my film camera.

I hope this helps,

Luiz

Fisheyes distortion is normally completely unnoticeable underwater and many photographers I know could not imagine shooting without a fisheye - in fact it can be hard to make them take it off their camera.

I am just back from a week in the Red Sea and we had 7 Nikon DSLRs on board (and 5 Nikon SLRs) and most people used 10.5mm (or 16mm) on nearly all the dives.

Marine life, reefs, fish etc really don't show fisheye distortion. The problem subjects are people and shipwrecks (particularly inside) where the viewer is far more fussy. But even with these subjects I have never found a need to correct. These are uncorrected 10.5mm fisheye shots, and while you can see the bend if you look for it - it doesn't distract to my eyes:

06_spirit_01.jpg

01_why_09.jpg

Alex

You can de-fisheye the 10.5mm pic with Capture4. Somebody told me that PS CS can do something similar but requires a bit of tinkling unlike Capture4 which is a one button function so I have really looked into PS for this function much.

Behind a domeport, 10.5mm will focus pretty much right on top of the dome, may be 1-2 inches away at the most (with Sea and Sea compact domeport, have not tried it with my Subal FE02 dome yet).

Hey Alex, working with a model again?!? Lucky ba**ard!

Sorry, don't use the fisheye (yet) just wanted to comment on the model....

I read on Chris Newberts site that removing the rear element filter from the 16mm reduced its min focus distance behind the dome. Has anyone tried this?

I read on Chris Newberts site that removing the rear element filter from the 16mm reduced its min focus distance behind the dome.  Has anyone tried this?

Yep I always shoot it like that. You will find that on land without the rear element it will not focus on distant subjects. Quite a few UK photographers also used to use homemade +0.5 and +1 dioptres on the 16mm (on film) to enable it to focus right on the dome.

Alex

You can also de-fish images with third party Photoshop plugins, so NO, you don't have to have Nikon Capture 4. I don't want folks to feel that Nikon has a "Monopoly" on this one...hehe.

I tried a program by Power Retouche called Lens Tools. You just adjust a slider until the lines are straight, then crop.

Cheers

James

You can also de-fish images with third party Photoshop plugins, so NO, you don't have to have Nikon Capture 4.  I don't want folks to feel that Nikon has a "Monopoly" on this one...hehe.

I tried a program by Power Retouche called Lens Tools.  You just adjust a slider until the lines are straight, then crop.

Cheers

James

That's good to know, I really thought Nikon Capture was the only one.

Luiz

I have a follow up question...

When using a dome port the camera sees a curved virtual image - right?

I've read somewhere that fisheye lenses "suit" that curved image better than rectilinear lenses. Can you match a dome port with a fisheye lens so that distortion disappears?

Nope! check somewhere on this site for some dome topic feature article, you can play with binary codes but you can't bully around the law of physics :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements