Sign in to follow this  
cdascher

eTTL converters

I have an Aquatica A300 with dual bulkheads (for the Canon 300D) and a Nikonos connector to S&S TS-90 Duo Auto and a YS-30 as a slave. I was thinking of getting the "eTTL Converter" from Heinrichs Weikamp. Does anyone have experience with these and how well they work? Reliability, etc. I have no problems shooting with manual strobes but thought these would be worth a try. Any input is appreciated.

Chris :)

Hi Chris,

I had one for my 10D. It was an early firmware version for the 10D and it didn’t work flawlessly with my camera. E-TTL converters work different to system guns and I had different results. There have been firmware updates for the converter and I can not say how the latest one works. The 300D part of the firmware is different too, so I can not comment this. But I think those conversions might be suitable for macro work (water influence on preflash metering is not present due to the short distance) but the main drawback for me was: You can not strobe manually with full power because the flash energy is already wasted during the preflash. You can set the converter to manual mode (no preflash) but you have to do it topside and open the housing. I have nothing against an additional tool (E-TTL) but as even E-TTL system guns seem to offer poor exposure performance underwater (wideangle, greater distance) I don’t want to be stuck with E-TTL conversion during a dive without the option to switch to manual control.

It is kind of interesting – there was a huge demand for digital SLR TTL solutions underwater. Now we have some available and people don’t seem to be interested anymore. Must be some reason ;-)

regards,

Julian

Hi Chris,

I've just got my e-TTL adapter and the new hotshoe connector from Matthias and I'm hoping to get it all installed in the housing this weekend. A quick trial last night proved the concept, exposures were great, just like using a Canon Speedlight in automatic with the camera on manual. Just what I wanted anyway.

I may put a reed switch in to switch over to full manual if I feel the need.

I'll let you know how the install goes.

Martyn

I don’t want to be stuck with E-TTL conversion during a dive without the option to switch to manual control.

-> Subtronic Maxi ETTL.

q.e.d.

-> Subtronic Maxi ETTL.

q.e.d.

I agree with Juilan. I may give this a try if it came with a way to switch to manual and also access to flash exposure compensation. I think Matthias should put the curcuit into a small housing with FEC control and manual override and have Nikonos strobe cables for in put and output. That way you can just use it place of your sync cord.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it a bit more and see what makes the most sense. I agree that flexibility is probably most important in this situation.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements