Sign in to follow this  
cdascher

Good Dives in Bali

I am heading to Wakatobi in September but wanted to tack on some time in Bali (or other relatively close places). I was thinking to get on a Komodo liveaboard or maybe even heading over to Palau or Yap or Truk. I am doing UW photography obviously. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Chris

September is mola mola time in Bali - it's well worth spending a few days diving at Nusa Penida if you haven't seen or shot these wonderful animals before. There are some other very fine dives here in Bali as well

If you're interested in doing a Komodo liveaboard in September, I'd suggest trying to book now, if not earlier. August and September are the high season months in terms of bookings.

Informatively, a collaborative management program funded by the World Bank/Global Environmental Fund and The Nature Conservancy to make Komodo National Park financially self-supporting through eco-tourism revenues is finally getting off the ground.

It is likely that new conservation fees (a system of 3, 9 and 15 day passes) will be initiated this coming October. I will post more details about this and other implications of this project in the coming weeks.

Unless you know about a flight combination that I don't, I think you'll find that Palau/Yap/Truk are not that easy to get to from Indonesia.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

I'd also recommend trying for the Mola mola. Nusa Penida is easily accessible from Sanur (where many people stay who are waiting to fly to Wakatobi or to join a Komodo liveaboard).

Last year I went out with Mr Frogfish (above) and his favoured dive shop and had an encounter on our first dive. Then for our second dive we went on to the Manta cleaning station and got them too. So based on this 100% experience I would fully recommend the BIDP dive shop:

http://www.bidp-balidiving.com/

Alex

Thanks Robert and James. I am still firming up plans but those suggestions sound good. I was wondering if Robert knows anything about Grand Komodo Tours liveaboards. They have several tripos with space.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements