Sign in to follow this  
cola

**Which Strobe? - please help**

Hi -

I have a Canon s30 with the Canon Housing. Used it on 2 dive holidays with the internal flash. Now I'm getting more experienced I need to upgrade. I've been looking at strobes for a while now - but still don't have a clue.

I'm on a bit of a budget - but I'm always on the lookout for Used gear - so any advice would be great ...........

1. Which Strobe would be best for me for general use (S30 & Housing has no hardware connections for an external strobe - so I guess it would need a sensor)?

2. What would be the best way to connect it up (do I need to block the internal flash off/ deflect it with something, etc?)

Very greatful - cheers,

Cola.

1. You need a strobe that works in slave mode. If your camera fires a preflash, you need a strobe that can handle that, like the YS90DX or the D60 / D125.

2. You don't need to block the internal flash but if you don't you might get

more backscatter. Sea&Sea's fibre optic cable comes with a mask that covers the internal flash.

Sabine

Snoak pretty much covered it. There are not a lot of options. The S30 does utilize pre-flash, so your options are the Sea & Sea YS90DX, Ikelite DS50 and Ikelite DS125. The DS50 is cheaper, but you cannot control the output, which I think is essential for use with a digital camera.

I believe Epoch also has a digital strobe out which isn't very powerful, hence might be cheaper.

The strobe will be slaved with either a fiber optic cable or detachable slave sensor. A deflector for your internal flash is easy to come by or you can make your own.

Check out available digital strobes at www.underwaterdigital.net.

Thanks very much for the reply guys.

I have had a nose around - and it looks like I'm going for an Epoque - I found one for £75. It does look as if it may not be as powerful as the S&S or Ikelite's - but at this price it's a good start for my first Strobe. Plus it does work with pre-flash.

Again - thanks!

Andy

Hi Cola,

I'm thinking of getting an Epoque ES 150 DS. Is this the model that you got? Are you happy with it? What is the maximum distance at the maximum strobe setting that you get in ideal conditions? I also have a Canon (s40). Iam also a begginer and very budget conscious. Pls advise.

Thanks. Mike

Sorry Mike - This is the model I've got - but I'm not going diving again 'til Kenya in January - I'll post pic's details etc ASAP.

I have tried it dry, and it's a good medium distance flash.

Cola.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements