Sign in to follow this  
vlada

D100 in Aquatica - cord/strobe/camera problem?

I just switched from F100 in Aquatica to D100 in Aquatica. The housing is connected to two Ike SS200s via a dual sync cord.

On the dive #4 with the D100 set up, i had both strobes firing off in an uncontrolled fashion and not responding to a camera trigger. I ended up turning both strobes off, and when i tested then again on the surface, one strobe was dead. Tested the cord on the surface and it worked OK, then died.

Connected the spare sync cord to the housing and spare strobes and it seemed to work fine on the surface.

I am suspecting that sync cord is to blame, although that does not explain what killed the strobe. Both are on their way to Ikelite for testing/repairs.

Anyone had anything similar happening? Should i be also worrying about the housing bulkheads? I have been shooting with F100 in Aquatica and same strobes for over two years and Nik V and same strobes before that and never experienced anything like this. When the previous sync cord died, they just stopped working.

Thanks,

Hi Vlada,

When you short the fire and ground pins on a strobe, it will fire. This can happen at the hotshoe, the sync socket, or even inside the sync cord - depending on where there is a loose connection, or worse a flood.

It sounds like the rapid repeat firing of your SS200 may have damaged it. It sounds like it needs a trip back to Ikelite, along w/ your sync cord, which I am betting had a flood.

Cheers

James

Hello Vlada, seem to me like a cable problem, had this with flashes, not as dramatic as your's, but in the end the problem was a faulty cable.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements