randapex

D2x 60mm Woody's

Took these in Kauai last week and got some fairly decent shots with the Woody's diopter attached to the port. I'd be interested in any feedback with respect to the diopter's affect on quality.

Found it a nice alternative to being so confined when using the teleconverter.

Rand

shrimp640.jpg

tiffDSC_5383_shrimponcushionstar640-01.jpg

Great detail Rand.....I thought you used it with the 105?

Karl

Wow, those colours and detail.

Did I miss something? What is Woody's diopter?

edit: never mind, I found it. Great tool. Any reviews availible?

Rand, these are fabulous - especially the first one - I can only imagine how hard these were to take.

James

I've been a very happy user of Woody's diopter since 2000, in a film housing. There is no decrease in image quality and have a 20x30 blowup of a pygmy seahorse proudly displayed at home to prove it.

Stu

Thanks for the comments.

Karl, yes I've used it with the 105mm. But, with the 60mm, cutting down on the water between subject and lens, seems to really sharpen the overall image from what I was getting with the 105mm. Reminds me a bit of using the stack macros on the 5050. You get very close to the subject.

The 60mm seems to be a better option for slow moving or stationary subjects. You wouldn't think that little bit of water would make much difference but to me it's pretty obvious as the images are much sharper. To my eye anyway.

It's such an inexpensive piece of glass, I'm really impressed with the results myself although, I seem to recall some saying it wasn't really all that good. So, that's what I'm asking for. Overall opinions on the sharpness or anything else. I've taken to looping the lanyard through my spoting light arm and letting the diopter hang loose until needed.

Rand

Rand,

I agree that I haven't seen any decrease in image quality using the Woody's with the 60mm - and I use it more often with than without. I used the 105mm for the first time with the Woody's diopter and also agree that it didn't look as sharp.

John

Those who say that Woody's diopter "wasn't really all that good" need to learn to use their equipment. I know Woody personally and he wouldn't put out an inferior product. He uses the diopter with great success...and so do a lot of other good photographers I know....

This is the 20x30 image I was talking about...

pygmy.jpg

Canon EOS 10D, Subal C10 Housing, Dual S&S YS120 strobes on full power, Tamron SP 90mm Macro, Woody's Diopter, ISO 100, 1/125th, F22, using Autofocus.

Here's an actual pixels blowup of the eye.

eye.jpg

Stu

Rand,

I too have been using the "Woody's Diopter" since 1999 and I can't see any image degredation on a shot using it.

I seriously doubt that any of the many Wetpixelers that have the diopter can tell any difference in image quality on images shot with it vs images shot without it...

If someone can see a difference several of us that use it would be interested in hearing about it including all the shooting details.

What exactly the Woody's Diopter do?

Is it reduce the focus distance or magnifier the subject at the original distance?

Hi Arnon,

The Woody's allows a closer approach. Minimum focus distance is reduced by several inches with the 60mm. So the subject will be larger in the frame.

Rand

Sponsors

Advertisements