mdshope

A pair of queens

I have seen so manner cool Queen Angle portraits. Trying to take one is a bit tough. These are my best two efforts from my Bahamas trip. What could have been done to make them better.

post-4144-1122002609_thumb.jpg post-4144-1122002640_thumb.jpg

They are decent shots. But for improvement you could try:

Slightly down on the exposure - only say 1/3 stop. A small bit but they do both look slightly over exposed to me.

The main problems is the other rubbish in the frame. The first image has distracting foreground, the second image, distracting background. Try when shooting this sort of image to get the fish against open water to get a cleaner shot.

Also you have shot both with centre spot AF - this is fine, just not every time - so try using another AF point to create a more interest composition. These are both a bit AF bullseye.

Alex

So Alex, you're not a big fan of "focus lock, recompose, shoot" eh? :-) I agree w/ Alex about the composition and the background. It's tough, but sometimes it makes the difference between a good shot and a great shot - having some coral sticking out in front of the fish.

Cheers

James

James and Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to critique. I love getting advice like that. Now that I see the images on a better monitor I see they are overexposed. Something I can correct in RAW? I am having a big problem almost everything I have shot is coming out overexposed, even the macro TTL stuff. I have the Ike housing set at -1 next weekend I will try to move it to -2 when shooting TTL.

Amazing that you can tell I use center autofocus lock. I have not really gotten past the point of trying to get something in my frame in focus. LOL This was really just my second time in the water with this rig. It is a struggle going from a simple Sea&Sea MM II to this setup. Although as much as I am stuggling I am already getting better images than I ever had in the past. Hopefully with pointers like the ones you two just gave my learning curve will progress a lot faster.

Any suggestion on a path to better skills with the camera are welcomed. Since I can only get in one or two dive trips a year it would help to get better before I actually go on the trips.

Thanks again,

Michael

In terms of corrections...they both look over-processed, perhaps as a result of trying to push exposure latitude a little too far in RAW. ISO800 on the 20D is much cleaner than that, and if you really needed the extra light, would have been a far better solution...

~Matt Segal

Ok Matt I am now lost. I was using ISO 100 both strobes set to TTL and the 100mm lens I would have to look back at the RAW data to see what f stop was some where around 14 I believe. Both shots in RAW looked way overexposed. I wasn't trying to increase the exposure in RAW I was trying to back it down. I guess I am pretty lost at this point.

Just to resolve this - I took a look at the RAW file, and discovered that Michael has been the victim of Adobe Photoshop's and Bridge's 'Auto' adjustments feature, pushing the exposure almost +3 stops. The original photo was underexposed...a nice capture though.

~Matt Segal

Ahhh ooops..... rookie mistake. Kind of funny though. I would come up from a dive down load all my pictures. See they were all overexposed and decide that on the next dive I would just close my f stop or do something else to try and get a better exposure. Each time I would progressively underexpose the next set of images. I wondered why the camera LCD and the computer screen would show such different images. Anyways dive, shot, post and learn. Thanks Alex, James and Matt a big thanks to you for giving me some directions out of the woods.

Thanks to Matt for letting me see my actual images for the first time. I tried to correct the first one the best I could I also cropped it some. Let me know if this is a good save or not.

Matt if you still have the RAW file I would love to see what you could do.

This was my effort on fixing it.

post-4144-1122148534_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a difference. Thanks Matt for jumping in and helping out.

This is what wetpixel is all about!

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements