NWDiver

What Zoom lens??

Looking for an out of water, all around zoom lens. To be used for topside, outside shots, some wildlife. Trying to spend less than US$1000. Currently have 10.5, 12-24, 17-35, 60, 105. Nikon D100.

Thanks…

Hmmm, one good lens to have would be the Nikon 80-400mm but I think it is a bit over your limit. Sigma has a version of 80-400mm with OS which is supposed to be quite good and is under $1000 but it is a bit bigger than Nikon version. Alternatively Sigma also has 50-500mm with no OS but has nice and fast autofocus speed. The zoom range is huge and below 200mm it is not very good but is quite nice, especially for the price at telephoto end.

Nikon also offers a 80-200mm for about $850 i think. Its a 2.8 all the way through so a very nice piece of glass

I want one of those!

Alex

Wellllllll, get a job!!!!

:D:):lol::P

Ahh... i just crack myself up....

I have been eying that 70-200 VR f2.8 for awhile and was playing a bit with it in the store awhile ago. Unfortunately at just under $1500 over here and add another $350 for 1.7x teleconverter, I have to give it a pass for now :) Its either get a lens or go diving so I chose go diving for now :D

The Nikon 80-200 looks nice but B&H are out of stock with no idea when they will have more.

Lets change this a little to what is the best "cheap" all around lens. Face it I am mainly using it to take shots of land marks, fellow divers so who cares if it is a little soft around the edges, many of us are....

I am mainly using it to take shots of land marks, fellow divers so who cares if it is a little soft around the edges, many of us are....

While not in the same quality class as the above-mentioned lenses, for your stated purposes, you might consider the Sigma 18-200mm, which I'm pretty sure will work on the D100. It's compact and lightweight, and I find it a great lens for shots like you describe (divers, landmarks, etc. above water). Plus it allows you to take scenery one moment and close-up stuff (e.g., people) the next without changing lenses. And it's only $400, leaving more money for diving! :)

BTW, Tamron also makes an 18-200mm, but it is generally considered not to be as sharp as the Sigma.

I've been using the Nikkor 28-200mm lens for the last 18 months or so topside. I'm sure its not up to the 80-200VR (yep, I'd love one too and the 17TC) but I have been very happy with the results - which have led to lots of sales. Its very versatile, compact and light. It suffers a bit with a noisy motor and a tendency to head to infinity when it cannot find focus - and start hunting all over again. But if you are looking for cheap and cheerful it is worth checking out.

Well I went with the Nikon Zoom Telephoto 80-200 f/2.8 ED AF-D. I'm sure it will be great for my needs.

I have used my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for years now and have loved it. Sharp and fast, my only issue with it now is a slight squeaking noise on close focusing...Other than that, I love it....bought it used from a friend with a 1.4 and 2.0 sigma teleconverter....

Iguana shot off the front porch with the Sigma 70-200

post-3909-1122824373_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I didn't see your post from yesterday stating that you made a choice, and a GREAT choice at that!!! Enjoy!

john

Sponsors

Advertisements