Sign in to follow this  
james

How did you "learn" underwater photography?

Well, let's hear it folks, how did you learn your underwater photography skills?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I don’t seem to fit into any of your categories for your poll. Maybe you could leave out Jim Church’s name, expand the choices, or leave a fill---in space for other method..

Marc

Does learning imply improvement??? :blink:

Rented a Sealife Reefmaster in Cozumel, got frustrated with how bad the photos were (user error), bought a Sony setup, read everything I could find on the topic on the Internet.

OK gang, I edited the poll. It wouldn't let me add any more fields, so I changed the first one and did away with the liveaboard course.

Sorry, but I can't put "other" in there...:-)

Cheers

James

University trained as part of my BS in Oceanographic Technology in late 70's. This was a mostly technical education using photography as a medium to record scientific observation. The artistic sense of photography was mostly ignored. The conversion from film to digital is self taught.

How did I learn?

That would imply that I have some clue what I am doing! :blink:

I'll go along with the jumped in the water with a camera theory though.

Choice's are much better, I'd leave out Nikon and that should cover your Poll. ( Thanks for all your efforts. )

Marc

Hey Jim maybe the Nikon school choice should be just professionally trained. That would cover any school rather than just Nikon.

Just another 2 cents

I'm mostly self-taught. My first 'class' was a PADI U/W photography cert. that was totally useless. Did a couple of dives with a camera in hand, one I didn't take but 3 pictures and was issued a card!

About 3 years ago, I had the chance to take a S&S sponsored class while in Cozumel. Other than a few tips, it just served to show me I had taught myself pretty well. That sounds snotty and I don't mean it that way! My basic problem has always been the opportunity to actually take u/w pictures in clear salt water. Our local lakes are fun to dive but leave alot to be desired for photography.

Since going digital, I've learned alot from the internet. From this and other forums. With digital, I've had to learn about compression, file sizes, better battery life, imaging programs, printers, etc. With the old film camera, my biggest problem was what brand of film to buy!

But to answer your basic question...I just got in the water with a camera and then read the book.

I first was introduced to u/w photography back in 75 when I was taking my instructors course. Basically it was, This is a Nikonos II, this is a strobe, set the f-stop at this, the focus at this and have at it.

The rest I have learned from books, looking at what others have done and of course, the internet.

Have a great day and enjoy life

Stephen

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements