carib-blu

D100 lens options

Good morning all! I have been searching for another lens/port/gear set for my Light and Motion Titan housed D100. I have a flat port and ext. ring for my 105 macro, and a Sea&Sea big Dome port for my 10.5 fisheye. I would like to purchase a 17-55 f2.8 but can't seem to find a configuration to work, any suggestions? Thanks for help in advance,

John

Hi John,

Hope all is well in Cayman. It sucks being stuck in the UK this summer.

The 17-55mm will need an extention ring (behind the domeport) and a dioptre to work best underwater. I don't believe its an ideal lens for Cayman UW - although its a great topside lens. 10.5mm and 105mm are my choice weapons in your seas.

My camera has the same sensor size as yours and I use UW the following lenses:

10.5mm, 16mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 28-70mm, 60mm, 105mm.

I realise we all shoot in different ways, but in Cayman I would say their order of importance is 10.5mm, 105mm, then a gap, then 28-70mm (for similar stuff to your 17-55mm), then 60mm, then a gap and then 16mm, 17-35mm and 12-24mm all about the same.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. My need for another lens stems from booking our trip on the Nekton next month. I need a lens in between the 10.5 and the 105. The problem is what gear sets are available for use in the Titan housing. Light and motion has kits for the 17-35, 12-24, and nothing else. If I go with the Sigma 28-70 like the one you use, can I find a gear set to work in my housing? I know, why don't you load your bags and cases, come down here and spend some quality summer days with us...don't forget the 28-70, you could rent it to me and then forget to pack it when you head back home!!!

Glad you're safe over there...scary s*#t right now

john

Scary?? Hurricane Lenny was scary. Terrorists we are, sadly, used to dealing with.

Hi John,

When I used a Titan, I used the 12-24 and I liked it a LOT. I found that the Aquatica zoom gear that I had worked just fine w/ the Titan housing - a pleasant surprise.

What that means is that the outer diameter of the Aquatica zoom gear is the same as the one for the Titan (hint hint).

Like Alex, I'd recommend a 15mm Sigma or a 12-24DX zoom.

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements