Sign in to follow this  
MikeVeitch

When Coral Spawns...Someone gets hungry!!!

Got these shots last week when the coral spawned. Tons of stuff in the water column and at least 12-15 mantas going to town on it.

Pretty cool experience as they just lined right up and went back and forth. Snorkellers got to get in on the action as well. Great dive!

DSC_6985.jpg

DSC_7024.jpg

DSC_7049.jpg

Thanks guys, here's another one that i quite like. Can see almost down to the nether regions, just wish i could have gotten closer, they kept dodging at the last minute. Basically, by the time this shot was taken we were sitting on the bottom and they were just going up and down the channel back and forth. Very cool.

All shot with the 12-24

DSC_7061.jpg

Wow! I agree, that manta train is awesome. What a photo.

Cheers

James

The manta train doesn't seem a very sensible way to feed - each manta ends up munching on freshly filtered water.

The manta train doesn't seem a very sensible way to feed - each manta ends up munching on freshly filtered water.

It may be just me, but if you look at the tails and how they go under the one behind, it looks like each successive one is slightly higher up than the one in front, making it very efficient!

"it looks like each successive one is slightly higher up than the one in front, making it very efficient!"

MikeO, sort of like the way air flows over a vehicle in a wind tunnel test.... Great insight!

MikeV, fantastic!!!!! The best manta images I've ever seen!

Mike:

Nothing new to add. I just wanted to chime in with everyone else and congratulate you on the outstanding photos. I also really like the "manta train".

Doug

the manta train sucks .. only cause i wasn't there ... i dont think i have ever seen a photo with that many manta's in the frame and not just silhouetted.

so ok the manta train doesnt suck it's awesoem i suck for not being somewhere where i see manta trains ...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Yes, the mantas are hydrodynamic and basically travel one above the other to feed. There was a ton of stuff in the water and they were going nuts.

What i really like is the obvious intelligence of these animals, you can see them watching you and when they come close they just lift their wing above you like you are a coral head.

I still just love diving with these mantas, i can never have enough

Very nice shots Mike. Amazingly, I don't have a single Manta photo, and I saw at leats one on every dive in the Marquesas. Too bad I didn't have my wide angle there! But I will surely visit Yap after I move to Hawaii next year.

Luiz

Amazing manta train Mike! Looks like the you got the tip of the tail of another one out front. Too bad you didn't have a wider lens.

Amazing manta train Mike! Looks like the you got the tip of the tail of another one out front. Too bad you didn't have a wider lens.

Lucky for me Herb, i can do it again next week with the 10.5mm! he he he

Actually leaving for a short camping trip to a turtle island here tomorrow for nesting turtles and hatchlings. Will be putting the HD camera to the test as well as stills. So no mantas for a week, wonder if i can get an Eric Cheng screaming turtle photo?? do i bring the dome and wide angle or just the flat?? So many decisions...

Mike,

Congratulations on a special, unique image (manta train). Outstanding with tons of potential in a variety of venues. I wish I had taken it!

mpo

www.mpostock.com

www.batfishbooks.com

i suck for not being somewhere where i see manta trains...

Yeah, living/diving in Grand Caymen day after day....rough life! :o Nice job on the train, Mike.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements