Sign in to follow this  
ChinaBrad

Adding a second body for topside shooting

Hey gang,

I am heading to Palau this October (Hooray!) I am debating whether or not to add a second DSLR body to my bag for travel to and from dive sites and topside throughout the day. The intent is to not have to open my Subal-housed D70 rig during the day, but still have my DSLR gear available (as opposed to my little Sony T1 snapper)

I'm not yet ready to take the plunge for the D2X. My photography skills do not yet rate such a machine (despite my penchant for buying expensive toys! - sorry honey) Plus, if one body craps out or floods I've got a back up.

I am debating between a second D70 body and the D70s. Any thoughts on whether the S is worth the extra $100? What real-world advantages does it have other than the slightly larger screen?

Thanks!

Brad

Hey Brad

I think this was discussed a week or two ago.

For me, the answer is "yes". I bought a second D100 both as a top-side camera for exactly the reasons you set out; and as an underwater backup. Why take several thousand dollars worth of gear on holiday and have to rely on one camera body not breaking-down or getting flooded? It seemed a no-brainer.

Mind you, I shudder to think of doing this with a D2X. But then I can't afford the first one yet!

Good luck on the Palau trip and have a great time. Please write up a trip report afterwards. I hope to go there next year.

Hey gang,

I am heading to Palau this October (Hooray!)  I am debating whether or not to add a second DSLR body to my bag for travel to and from dive sites and topside throughout the day.  The intent is to not have to open my Subal-housed D70 rig during the day, but still have my DSLR gear available (as opposed to my little Sony T1 snapper)

I am debating between a second D70 body and the D70s.  Any thoughts on whether the S is worth the extra $100?  What real-world advantages does it have other than the slightly larger screen?

For me, the $100 was well worth it to have the remote cord port, for seriously still photos (fireworks and night shots for me).

Hope this helps,

Joel

You may also consider housing the D70s and using your old D70 topside. The D70s has a larger LCD, what is better for reviewing photos underwater.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements