belize

S&S Housing leaks

I bought a S&S housing for my Canon D60 (DX-30/60) almost 2 years ago from UW Photo. I was initially happy with the unit, probably from the joy of using a digital camera underwater. About 3 months ago, I noticed small cracks starting along all four locking latches on the back half of the housing (clear plexiglass half). This is after approximately 60 dives, none deeper than 100 ft, most around 40-60 ft.

About a month ago, I noticed small lines of drops on the inside of the housing originating near these cracks and this last week started getting about a 1/4 teaspoon of water inside after every dive. I believe leaks are coming not only from the cracks along the latches, but also some of the thru housing buttons. I would be happy to provide some images if you would like to see the problem. I am now at the point where I do not trust the housing anymore.

The housing has never been dropped, or roughly handled, or taken deeper than 100 feet. I searched the Internet to see if others have experienced this and have found nothing. Is it possible I have a bum housing? Is this a usual occurance with S&S digital underwater housings?

I will be contacting both Sea&Sea and UW Photo, but thought I would check here first for any known problems.

Basically I have been happy with the housing except for a few minor irritations such as:

1. The flash connector inside can occasionally loosen and fail to fire the flash mid dive.

2. Some of the buttons do not reach the camera (trash, select, focus selection)

3. The dials to turn the f-stop, shutter speed and mode wheels eventually weaken (become too flexible) and make it difficult to turn for adjustments.

4. The recent leaking

I am thinking of a new housing and will probably not go with Sea&Sea again due to the leaking. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for any replies.

I think the cracks are stress related, I have seen the problem before in acrylic based product. I would stop using it and contact the folks at uw photo, my hunch is you will need a new back cover assy, you might want to store your housing with the lacthes open in the future to release the stress on the screws. At the same time ask them to adjust your controls and send the camera if you need to, there is nothing more fustrating than loose or unreachable controls when your under.

There have been some problems with stress cracks in the rear 1/2 of the case on the S&S composite housings. Send it in to us and we should be able to get this covered under warrantee. The other problems sound like minor adjustments that could be included in an annual service on the housing.

OK Dave, should I send the entire housing or just the rear half of the case?

Same problem here with the same housing. I have no idea where the water is coming from. I've replaced the D60 with 20D (Ikelite housing) so I no longer use this housing. It used to have a little water in it after every dive and I never knew where it was coming from (even after changing every O-ring)

Sponsors

Advertisements