I have been using the PDX70. It is very usefull for backups and freeing up your memory cards. It also doubles up as a LiMH AA charger. I even managed to charge some NiCd's when I left my regular charger at home once. When down-loading with the batteries they drain pretty quick, but I use this to discharge my camera's batteries before charging again.

You can change the hard drive youself, mine came with a 40gig, but I will probably upgrade to an 80 or 100 soon..

The only disadvantage is that you cannot view your pics.

A friend of mine recently took his FlashTrax XT to the Red sea, but I must still find out how well this worked. With the FlashTrax you can also view your pictures.

All,

I'd like to share my thought process on my recent storage upgrade. It seems to me that the plummeting prices for CF have changed the rules.

A query: you can now get (what seems so far) a very reliable, fast 4GB 150X nominal card for about $70 (Ridata at Newegg). For the cost of an HD backup device, you can get 2-8 of these puppies. Do you really want to spend your money on something you can't shoot to, instead?

To me, the low CF price means the HD devices are needed only for backup or viewing (where they support that). I can get 700+ raw (D70 compresssed NEF) on a 4GB card. That's 20 rolls. I have three 4GB cards (plus an older 2 and 1), so that's 60+ rolls -- really, more, as I do delete the junk as I go. Of course, bigger sensors need more cards, but it's still pretty cheap (and you boys with bigger sensors must have bigger bucks, and err other things, right?).

So, about backup. I'm not at all convinced the HD devices are *as good as* the CF cards. Those guys are tough: one of mine survived a flooding wiith all images intact. Try that with a hard drive! I know one's not guaranteed to recover images in this case, but fortunately floods are very rare and lost images would really be the least of my worries in this case. But I be not pro. Anyway, comments on CF and HD reliability and recovery? Also, why this mania for backup now, when we never had it before?

(I think it's a bit of invasion of the nerds, and also speculate that more images have been lost when people *thought* they'd been backed up externally, than have been lost by damaged CF cards. Comments?)

On viewing: the LCD's are now much better than my D70, and are probably good enough for quick culling. So does one really need the viewer?

I was considering getting a HD backup for my next trip (old one died, reinforcing my point on reliability), but this thought process made me buy the 2 4GB cards instead. If I really need backup or viewing, I can take my laptop. For me, the standalone storage seems like a relatively expensive, unreliable, and unnessecary intermediate. More CF is cheaper, more useful, and much more compact. For me, the standalone backup has gone the way of the old microdrive cards -- a relic of expensive flash memory.

Comments?

All the best,

Chris

Edited by CeeDave

I use a OQO +1 UMPC (Ultra-Mobile PC) and its fantastic:

1937.jpg

Its a old model, and sometimes you can find one in ebay about 650$

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Tablet Edition)

1GHz Transmeta Crusoe Processor

30GB hard drive

512MB DDR RAM

800 x 480 W-VGA 5" transflective display (indoor/outdoor readable)

3D accelerated graphics with 8MB of video RAM

Wireless & Bluetooth

FireWire & USB 2.0 ports

Dimensions: 4.9" x 3.4" x 0.9"

Weight: 14 ounces

You can carry it in your jacket pocket

It would never remain obsolete

You will be able to update raw plugins ever

You can install linux SO

I install Adobe Lightroom and works fine!

Yeah, but only 30 gigs of storage? That is not enough - I can fill that after shooting through two of my memory cards :-(

Otherwise, very cool indeed.

I'm still using the Jobo giga vu pro evolution which has a big hard drive and a decent screen.

Cheers

James

I upgraded my old PD7x to the Hyperdrive Colour Space. I bought the bare unit and put in my own 160GB Samsung drive. I like that you can view Raw files on it plus it, shows the histogram too. Recharges using the wall dongle or by USB. I downloaded about 30gigs worth to it and battery level didn't budge. Transfers about 1GB in just under a minute if I recall.

Stu

Stu,

That looks like a great device at a great price! The only difference I can see between the Color Space and the Jobo is that the Jobo can act as a wireless FTP server - which is good for event shooting, but not much use on a boat lol.

Cheers

James

Yeah, but only 30 gigs of storage? That is not enough - I can fill that after shooting through two of my memory cards :-(

Yes, is not the bigger HD... but you can attach and small external HD (USB or Firewire) or change the internal disk...

320Gb is enoug?

Western Digital Passport

index.1.jpg

Edited by nachogil

FTP server - which is good for event shooting, but not much use on a boat lol.

Cheers

James

Welll if it is a really BIG boat it may be worhtwhile :rolleyes:

But the Hyperdrive looks VERY cool.

I bought the bare unit and put in my own 160GB Samsung drive.

Stu

Stu, easy to put into this?

Welll if it is a really BIG boat it may be worhtwhile :rolleyes:

But the Hyperdrive looks VERY cool.

Stu, easy to put into this?

Drew,

Yes, very easy to do, on board firmware will format drive for you and has built in image recovery. I figure if I fill up the drive, I'll just swap it out with an empty one and place the old one in a plain external USB case for 10 bucks.

Highly regarded on Luminous Landscape. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...yperdrive.shtml

Also, customer service from Hyperdrive in California was top notch. They bent over backwards to ensure I got the unit in time for my trip last Dec/January to Manila.

I ordered the extra battery holder for 4 AA's but never needed it.

Stu

Edited by scubastu

Drew,

Yes, very easy to do, on board firmware will format drive for you and has built in image recovery. I figure if I fill up the drive, I'll just swap it out with an empty one and place the old one in a plain external USB case for 10 bucks.

Highly regarded on Luminous Landscape. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...yperdrive.shtml

Also, customer service from Hyperdrive in California was top notch. They bent over backwards to ensure I got the unit in time for my trip last Dec/January to Manila.

I ordered the extra battery holder for 4 AA's but never needed it.

Stu

Thanks for the info, just ordered one and a 160 Gig HD for it, this better work :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, just ordered one and a 160 Gig HD for it, this better work :blink:

I had it up in running in short order, just follow the instructions! :rolleyes:

Stu

I had it up in running in short order, just follow the instructions! :D

Stu

Now you tell me :guiness: Easy to get the drive in, in fact it was too easy almost and felt for sure I had messed something up. On the instruction bit, they did a good job in making sure do not accidently format the drive. Too funny, the first few times I just kept on pressing yes without reading the warnings when the second screen required a no. I tipped my hat to them right then and there. Very fast to download and plugged it in to charge it up more. Doing some thumbnail building and will go through the book, though it is fairly intuitive so far.

I do keep on getting messed up in one thing. Got an iPod Touch a few weeks and I keep on pressing the screen :)

I use a Vosonic 8390....they make the Wolverine units too.... Great OLED screen. It reads and displays RAW files as well and also can play avi movies and such. Battery life seems good and it recharges via a charger or USB. Just plug in the SD card or Compact flash and use the internal menu to dump photos. My unit came with EVERY POSSIBLE cable to hook up to a TV, stereo system, etc. It even comes with a small remote so you can control the player if hooked up to a TV or stereo.

I am taking this on a 3 week dive vacation. It's loaded with some TV shows, movies, etc and still has 150gbs of free space. Did I mention it has tetris on it too?

:)

I have changed my mind about hard drives after losing two (primary and back-up) which lost power/controller function connected to a well-known dive boat's power supply.

:D

I have had to get expert help (DataClinic, based in Manchester, UK) to retrieve the data* which required extracting and remounting the disc from the back-up drive.

:D

I have annoyed my wife by buying a small 13" MacBook Pro with SSD to take as cabin luggage, and three extra 8Gb CF cards...

... I can now do a week's diving and keep two copies of each image, tho' I will have to drag the laptop around.

* some images from Belize will appear in a few weeks, I hope!

Tim

:crazy:

Hey gang,

i'm looking for a more recent solution to this travel storage problem. I am off to Antarctica in March, and am looking for a backup solution. I'm taking my macbookpro, and a 500GB WD passport drive, but I'm looking for a stand-alone gadget to take. I bought the Wolverine ESP (250GB), but i'm sending it back because the resolution on the picture viewing feature is incredibly low res - worse than reviewing the pic in my camera. and i can't get it to play movies (part of the appeal was the thought I could watch movies on it inflight).

So, my plan right now is to get one of the Wolverines that doesn't have a "real" display and JUST backs up mem cards OR spend the same money i spent on the ESP on a netbook (ASUS EEPC)...

I kind of like the idea of having the netbook, but I rebel against the thought of having 2 laptops on the trip;) (and I'm definitely taking the macbook)

Anyone else facing this dilema?

Thanks!

Spencer

Here's one option:

http://www.vosonic.com/product.php?PA=feat...d=1&id_1=16

Although the Hyperdrive line is probably the best value for your $$

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-Memory...evice-s/119.htm

I still love my Jobo Giga Vu Pro Evolution - but they aren't made anymore. But you can still get them. The jobo can act as a USB host and copy to other drives, and can even be a wireless FTP server - maybe why it costs $$$. Dunno about the others.

Cheers

James

More and more I've become a believer in using CF cards as backups. If you have your MacBookPro for viewing why not just have a few CF cards so you never have to erase the original, even have extras for backup if you need redundancy. Simple, easy, compact.

That's what I decided to do for this most recent trip: 6 x 8 GB CF cards at only $25 each. More than enough for a week of shooting: new card each day.

Assuming of course they WORK. I have had a couple CF cards crap out on me and refuse to relinquish pictures after being loaded up, over the years. Will have to test these all first before I leave.

iPad is the way to go and can store original RAW as well as jpg.

No need for a laptop or dedicated storage device.

This will allow you to back up RAW to an iPad and retrieve later for editing.

If you buy the ipad camera connection kit ($29), it will copy RAW and jpg files off an SD card and save them to your iPad. The original RAW file [and matching jpg if you shot both] is stored on the iPad. Then you can save that RAW file from the iPad to your mac/PC with iPhoto, Image Capture, Aperture, Lightroom, etc.

I have personally verified that this works and the original RAW file is preserved untouched.

This will work for any RAW file that Apple supports. The easiest way to find out whether your flavor of RAW is supported is to open the file in iPhoto. Or there is a list of supported cameras here: Supported RAW files If your version of RAW is not supported, the camera connection kit will not import it so this iPad backup process is not available. [unless you use just jpg].

This is a great backup method while on a trip.

Cheers

Edited by jetlife2

iPad is the way to go and can store original RAW as well as jpg.

No need for a laptop or dedicated storage device.

This will allow you to back up RAW to an iPad and retrieve later for editing.

If you buy the ipad camera connection kit ($29), it will copy RAW and jpg files off an SD card and save them to your iPad. The original RAW file [and matching jpg if you shot both] is stored on the iPad. Then you can save that RAW file from the iPad to your mac/PC with iPhoto, Image Capture, Aperture, Lightroom, etc.

I have personally verified that this works and the original RAW file is preserved untouched.

This will work for any RAW file that Apple supports. The easiest way to find out whether your flavor of RAW is supported is to open the file in iPhoto. Or there is a list of supported cameras here: Supported RAW files If your version of RAW is not supported, the camera connection kit will not import it so this iPad backup process is not available. [unless you use just jpg].

This is a great backup method while on a trip.

Cheers

The problem with the Ipad is that it just doesn't have enough storage for any kind of a big trip and there is no redundancy. 64 GB is no where near enough storage and on big trips I want to have some secure backup as well. For a few days the Ipad might be OK but for 3 weeks not so much at least for the way I like to keep my files.

Bill

I carry a Macbook Air and simply download my pictures to that. A very light, portable device for storage, viewing, and more; plus it has a built in SD slot. I also have a memory card for each shooting day so I don't need to delete them and therefore have two copies of each image until I get home and can upload them to my main computer. Only problem is I have two week trip coming up and only have enough memory cards for a one week trip.

Anyone ever just use flash drives as a secondary back-up? They're also cheap, light, and compact.

Has anybody tried the Sanho hyperdrive photo storage / viewer devices?

I just used my Galaxy Nexus 10 Tablet, otg cable and a 32gb thumb drives for my last trip. Mostly worked very well. the high res screen was very nice to see the picts. There are many editing tools, but nothing as nice as photoshop.

Sponsors

Advertisements