ChinaBrad

Subal viewfinder options

I have a Subal housed D70 witht he standard. I was admiring a photo of a seacam housing the other day with a very cool 45 degree angled view finder.

I was not able to find any such option on Subal's website. DO they make such a thing? It seems like it would offer a much more comfortable shooting angle when swimming horizontally or when shooting close the floor.

Does such an option exist for Subal?

Does anyone shoot this viewfinder on their SeaCam? What is your experience?

Thanks!

Brad

Subal has only one optional magnifying GS Viewfinder but it is straight. It is about $900 and it does not come off or go back on as easily as Seacam (however it is quite a bit cheaper).

Hi Brad,

With Subal the only possibility of a big viewfinder is the "GS VIEWFINDER" which is very similar to the "Sports viewfinder S180" and is a fantastic tool. Especially when you work with a D70, which has a

very small viewfinder.

I work with a Seacam-housing with a S45 (Swivelling 45°) and the

cheaper PRO G viewfinders.

Working with the S45 is fantastic when shooting close to the bottom, doing half/half, or schooting super-macro (for super-macro the S180 is the same). For fast-swimming subjects or even fish-portrait the S45 is not always a dream...

If I had the choice again I first buy me the S180 (similar with Subal's

GS VIEWFINDER) so I don't need to buy the PRO G, and "MAYBE" later

only for half/half & shooting close to the bottom (maybe) I buy me the S45.

The S180 is much more popular than te S45.

Greetings,

Bart

I have never understood the S45. But I know many Seacam users who swear by them. So I'd listen to those who own them (who have tried one) rather than me (who hasn't).

The Subal GS makes a massive difference on the D70 and if I had a D70 I would get one. I have not yet been tempted to get one for my D2X yet, though.

Alex

Do you guys know if my ND70 can be retro-fitted with the GS viewfinder?

What's the approximate cost?

Thanks!

Brad

Do you guys know if my ND70 can be retro-fitted with the GS viewfinder?

What's the approximate cost?

'Tis my understanding that the retrofit is done by the factory, though perhaps a number of other places can do it as well. The add-on cost is around $1,000 US for the part.

Tried to get one for my ND2 housing and was told that the backlog is about 6 months or so.

Hi Brad,

I am using the S45 on a D2x and my buddy uses it on a D70.

It is perfect in most situatuions. The viewangle makes it very easy to hold the camera in a comfortable position. When swimming horizontally no need to bend your neck. For portrait or any other situation difficult to look into the viewfinder, you can turn the S45 by 360° to any position you like.

The view and magnification is excellent. Another advantage is that you can easily take it off for transport or replace it by another type within seconds.

When I started with the S45 I always tilted the camera too much upwards because I was used to "point and shoot". When pointing at a macro subject I mostly aimed too high, but now I am used to it. In horizontal positions I think a straight viewfinder has some advantages.

Thilo

Sponsors

Advertisements